Ik this has been discussed before

GBO97

The Beast is Rising
But seriously... Why do we always get screwed with the schedule? It never fails that our rotating West opponents are at the peak of their success when they show up on our schedule. (Not to mention Bama every year) And on top of that we always play some crazy good OOC team each year. If any team has had more difficult schedules the past 5-10 years than us, i would like to see who.

Reactions: 4 people
Gotta play the best to beat the best and be the best. We r UT we don't run. From anyone

Reactions: 5 people
Gotta play the best to beat the best and be the best. We r UT we don't run. From anyone

We should be running, and fast. Our OOC schedule has cost us several bowl games over this awful run, at a time when other teams have not & have seen unprecedented success. Meanwhile, we keep getting slaughtered and going 5-7.

Reactions: 2 people
Seems like we always get one of the best Western Division teams each year. Ole Miss is having the best season they have had since the 60's and guess who they play - TN. Oh and let's make TN travel to Oxford also. Last year the same thing - Auburn was 3-8 the year before, but since they are playing TN in 2013, let's make then National Title contenders. Of course we don't play LSU this year since they are having a down year. But when they were in the top 5 year in and year out we played them two years in a row.

Since 2011 the combined record of the West Division teams at the time we played them is an absurd 53-2!

we have not caught many breaks in ANYTHING the last few years--and, yea, our back-breaking schedule has made it hard to get back to prominence, no question. We play ole miss rarely--and this is their best team in 20 years.

Proud of our OOC schedule most years. I think UT is the only SEC school with the guts to travel beyond Dallas during the regular season.

The first 10-12 years of divisional play, the East ruled the SEC. Power shifted to the West - but it will be back soon! Ebb and flow...

Reactions: 1 person
If this was the Vols of the 90's hell ya but we should have softened the schedule when we got so bad. With the state of the SEC the last 10 yrs there is no need to go to Oregon and Oklahoma to prove our manhood. We are just cutting ourselves to see if we still bleed. I made both trips and enjoyed them but I would have been happier to trip to a bowl game instead.

If this was the Vols of the 90's hell ya but we should have softened the schedule when we got so bad. With the state of the SEC the last 10 yrs there is no need to go to Oregon and Oklahoma to prove our manhood. We are just cutting ourselves to see if we still bleed. I made both trips and enjoyed them but I would have been happier to trip to a bowl game instead.

I welcome Oklahoma, Oregon, and ohio state.

If you're scared- say you're scared. I'd rather take a butt whoopin' in the regular season than to find out we ain't all that in a low rent bowl

The first thing that most program builders do is water down the schedule as much as possible. Get your 4 automatic wins ooc and then knock out a pair of cellar dwellers to make a bowl. Use the extra month of practice to do things like teach your backups on OL how to block. Work your way up the ladder. Somehow half our fanbase thinks that we'll magically recruit our way back to the top of the heap despite the fact that our recruiting classes, great as they're rated nationally, are only middle of the pack in the SEC.

maybe if we had swapped UTC for Oregon last year our RS JR OL would've been much better prepared this season and maybe we're sitting at
4-2 or even 5-1.

Last edited:
I don't believe CJM watered down the schedule...we took our lumps and got back to the next
Level. The only time in my 52 years I've been truly embarrassed by UT is when we ducked out of the UNC game, that helped out bunches.

I like playing the tough teams but... a slightly more beatable team (not a cupcake)
and making a bowl, would give these kids needed experience and confidence.

Because this mentality has worked out so well for us in recent years.

I think winner therefore I am. I haven't liked the outcome either. But lets be honest a home loss to candy last year cost us a bowl game. The year before that doofus cost us a bowl at every opportunity.. UTC is that too tough? What about arky st? Was it Austin Peat last year. We play cupcakes too. However I want tough teams because strength of schedule matters now. Also it gives us recruiting exposure (ie Oregon.)

If we are honest who out of the west would be more appealing? Miss. St? A&M? How about Auburn? ITS THE SEC. Big boy football. We asked for OU and bought out of UNC. So . . . . Someone else must agree with me.

I'd rather play big games. Teams are gonna have to with the playoff now. We've been down, but look how this team responded in Athens after facing Oklahoma. A team with talent and potential will get better from these games. Tennessee will be back, and they'll be ready for Oklahoma next year.

The first thing that most program builders do is water down the schedule as much as possible. Get your 4 automatic wins ooc and then knock out a pair of cellar dwellers to make a bowl. Use the extra month of practice to do things like teach your backups on OL how to block. Work your way up the ladder. Somehow half our fanbase thinks that we'll magically recruit our way back to the top of the heap despite the fact that our recruiting classes, great as they're rated nationally, are only middle of the pack in the SEC.

maybe if we had swapped UTC for Oregon last year our RS JR OL would've been much better prepared this season and maybe we're sitting at
4-2 or even 5-1.

Seems like a good formula to me. I want to play the best once we have good players, but we could be in the top 25 if we played a lower ranked power conference team (eg. NC St, Purdue, or Colorado) and not Oklahoma. Not only that, but we would almost be sure of a bowl right now to get the extra practice and revenue.

Seems like a good formula to me. I want to play the best once we have good players, but we could be in the top 25 if we played a lower ranked power conference team (eg. NC St, Purdue, or Colorado) and not Oklahoma. Not only that, but we would almost be sure of a bowl right now to get the extra practice and revenue.

This ^ I agree. And OK at home next year is not ggonna be fun either unless they have a O line miracle in their locker room.

I would say most of the power OOC teams that we have played had been on our schedule for years if not a decade. You can't all of a sudden say we are trying to rebuild and we will not play you. I think the exposure against Oregon, OU has only fostered more appeal to recruits. Road trips to Eugene and Norman add to the reasons why kids want to play for UT.

VN Store

Back