Ole Miss Hates Us?

Neyland Law Vol

I didn't know Ole Miss considered us a rival...

The Tennessee Volunteers were once regular opponents of the Ole Miss Rebels. In fact, the only teams in the SEC that Ole Miss has played more often than Tennessee are Vanderbilt, LSU, and Mississippi State. HATIN' on Tennessee is, therefore, an Ole Miss tradition that we at the Cup are proud to resurrect. So, to prime the tank for this week's festivities, let's have some storytime.

In 1969, the Ole Miss Rebels hosted the No. 3 Tennessee Volunteers in Jackson. During the prior season, the Vols beat the Rebs 31-0. Leading up to the game, Steve Kiner, Tennessee's all American linebacker, was asked by the media how he would handle the Ole Miss offense, which someone had likened to horses. "Hee-haw," Kiner replied. "Them's not horses, them's mules!"

The week of the game, Tennessee fans took Kiner's remarks and ran with them, dropping leaflets - as in from an airplane - on the Rebel football team during practice. They read "Archie who? Archie mud." and "Wreck the mules." Tennessee didn't think our Rebels had a chance.

Well they were wrong to doubt Archie Manning and the Rebels, and they were doubly wrong to provoke them as they did. That season, Ole Miss beat Tennessee 38-0. The mules won big, and "Archie who?" had been answered.

Clearly, Ole Miss and Tennessee have a very long history of HATE. That continues this week. Remember...

We are at war with Tennessee. We have always been at war with Tennessee.

HATE WEEK: TENNESSEE - Red Cup Rebellion

Would be great to play spoiler to their championship hopes with an upset victory in oxford! :rock:

Reactions: 5 people
Reactions: 2 people
Yeah some of you younger guys don't remember how much we used to get all fired up for those guys every year...They were notorious for upsetting us when we got on a roll...I had a cool teeshirt back in the early 80's that said, "Kiss this Ole miss" with the arrow of course pointing to the rear end lol...I would LOVE to ruin their season...I will say they are ripe for the picking!

Well they were wrong to doubt Archie Manning and the Rebels, and they were doubly wrong to provoke them as they did. That season, Ole Miss beat Tennessee 38-0. The mules won big, and "Archie who?" had been answered.

Legend has it that UT linebacker Jack Reynolds was so pissed about that game, that he took a hacksaw and sawed an old car in half. He subsequently became known as "Hacksaw" Reynolds.

Reactions: 6 people
Legend has it that UT linebacker Jack Reynolds was so pissed about that game, that he took a hacksaw and sawed an old car in half. He subsequently became known as "Hacksaw" Reynolds.

1. A legend only. A sportswriter asked why he was called "hacksaw" and he came up with the story. The truth was that everyone in the locker room knew that he "would cut anything!" 8 to 80, fat or thin, ugly or pretty, sane or crazy, drunk or sober, with the only qualification being able to breathe earth's atmosphere.
2. Many of the home/home games were played in Memphis where it was virtually a home game for Ole Miss.

GO BIG ORANGE!

Reactions: 1 person

Would be great to play spoiler to their championship hopes with an upset victory in oxford! :rock:

Wow, they're reaching back into the 1960s to try and stoke a rivalry here. Maybe they're trying to manufacture some hate vs UT for their team/fanbase because they're seeing this sets up as the ultimate trap game? It's a stretch. We pretty much pose zero threat to them if they show up at all.

My wife's family is all Bama and one aunt married into an old Ole Miss family. I have been over to Oxford several times for games and every time I see them they always say, "Nothing sucks like a Big Orange". So, I hate Ole Miss right back.

I was there for both games; Archie's junior year in Neyland and the fiasco in Jackson the following year. My Dad picked me up in Nashville and we proceeded to Jackson. After the thumping, the following week everyone was asking "Did you hear that loud noise up in Knoxville? That was the Vols dropping out of the top ten." A day that will live in Vol infamy, for sure....

I hate them because of 1969. I will never forget that. I was 13 years old.

I had just gotten home from Nam and was all fired up about our team that year. Archie Manning picked our secondary apart. Kiner gave them too much ammunition to post on their bulletin board. I hated it then and still hate it now. BUT, to this day I am an Archie Manning fan. You will NOT find a more classy, down to earth, family oriented man. (Still wish we'd have beaten them in '69 though!)

Reactions: 3 people

I have a very vague recollection of reading about how at one point, Ole Miss's coach decided that they should never play UT again. They were tired of getting beat so badly. That is a true story, I just don't have time to dig through some books to find the quote. Maybe someone here can help me.

Visual comparison of the history of the two teams: Winsipedia - Tennessee Volunteers vs. Ole Miss Rebels football series history

EDIT: Sorry, I was late to the game.

Last edited:
I was there for both games; Archie's junior year in Neyland and the fiasco in Jackson the following year. My Dad picked me up in Nashville and we proceeded to Jackson. After the thumping, the following week everyone was asking "Did you hear that loud noise up in Knoxville? That was the Vols dropping out of the top ten." A day that will live in Vol infamy, for sure....

Would be great to return the favor this year: "Did you hear that loud noise down in Oxford? That was Ole Miss dropping out of the top ten."

VN Store

Back