• Tennessee leads the series with Notre Dame, 4-2, including a 2-1 edge in games at Neyland Stadium.
• The series resumes this season after a two-year hiatus.
• Three of the last four games in the series have been decided by 10 points or less.
• In the last meeting between UT and Notre Dame, the Volunteers took a 28-18 victory at Notre Dame Stadium in 2001.
• This game will be Notre Dame's first appearance in Knoxville since a 38-14 loss in 1999.
• Notre Dame's last win over Tennessee came in Knoxville, a 34-29 victory by the top-ranked Irish over the ninth-ranked Volunteers.
• At least one of the two teams has been ranked in the top 15 all seven times the teams have met, but this will mark only the second time in seven meetings that Notre Dame has not been ranked when facing the Volunteers.
• Entering the 2004 season, both Notre Dame and Tennessee ranked in the top 10 on the NCAA Division IA all-time victories list - the Irish were second with 796 wins while the Volunteers checked in at No. 9 with 736 victories.
• Tennessee is one of only five current "major" schools to hold a series advantage over Notre Dame - the others are Nebraska (8-7-1), Florida State (4-2), Georgia (1-0) and Michigan (18-13-1).
• The Tennessee-Notre Dame series has always been played in early November. All seven games (including 2004) have been played within an eight-day range (Nov. 3, twice on Nov. 6, Nov. 9, twice on Nov. 10 and Nov. 11).