The Special Teams Thread

Face

VolNation Con Man
A lot of questions in special teams. We saw GREAT improvement last week, but at all key positions (KO return, P return, place kicker, FG kicker, punter, KO and P coverage and blocking) it's been a bit of a roller coaster the first 4 games.

Coming into UF week, a game that special teams ALWAYS is key, I thought I'd start a consolidated discussion area and begin with my observations:

Kickoff - I think we've done pretty well on coverage. Lots of speed from the young players and sure tackling. Also did a good job controlling where the ball went when Girly was returning.

Punt - Darr brought his A game (or leg) against UGA. I'm a bit concerned about him out kicking the coverage this week, which combined with a few bad missed tackles last week, led to a flipped field for UGA. If he can find a happy medium between a 30 yard flub and 55 yard line drive, he'll be solid.

FGs - I think Medley is settling in. We'll need that for Saturday. He, as we've seen before (2004), can have the most critical role on the field.

Punt return - BLOCKING MUST GET BETTER.
Poor Cam hasn't had a chance to do anything. I'd also like to see some one else step up here. Last thing we need is a dirty hit from a UF gunner to take out the anchor of our secondary.

Punt and FG blocks - we blocked one kick against OU, which could have turned out to be huge if we didn't have so many other mistakes. We've come close on some punts too. The UF game can hinge on plays like that. I think if we can turn up the heat a little here, it can provide a HUGE momentum swing.

Kick returns - the DY debate. I've been pretty critical of him, but was glad to see him do well last week. I'd still like to see Evan Berry. I think he might be tougher to bring down and break that one shoe string tackle that always gets DY. UF will always have an elite returner, and I hope we give Evan a shot to be the same. Yes, DYs stats are great for his career, but my personal definition of a threat is not whether he can take it to the 40 or 50, it's if he can take it to the house. And by that definition, he's not a threat. Hope he proves me wrong.

What say you?

Last edited:
Honestly, as long as Darr is serviceable and nothing damaging happens on teams, I think thats a win.

We don't need to make plays, we need to make sure they don't make plays.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't think anybody has figured out exactly what the best way to play against the spread punt formation is. What I never get is, if you're not going to try for the block, why not play punt safe and peel guys off the LOS so you can play it more like a kickoff return? Chipping at the LOS and then turning around and running clearly doesn't work so well in setting up returns.

VN Store

Back