Saturday's Vol Legend - Casey Clausen

May not have been the most talented Vol quarterback or have the prettiest pass, but the dude had guts and simply knew how to win. I remember 2001 in the swamp and the 4th and 19 to CJ Fayton in Tuscaloosa in 2003 like they were yesterday.

Reactions: 3 people
This most ridiculous thing is that I remember hearing many fans back then blaming our woes on HIM!

A. Everything is relative, but we knew nothing of real problems back then (and yes I do remember the 2001 SEC CG)

B. The few problems we did have,- Casey was not one them!

Reactions: 4 people
I remember him being at a lady vols game I was at and I was about 11 or 12 at the time I think. He told like 4 of us to come back towards the end of the 2nd half and he would sign something for us, then he left in the haha Was a good a QB for us tho.

Last edited:
This most ridiculous thing is that I remember hearing many fans back then blaming our woes on HIM!

A. Everything is relative, but we knew nothing of real problems back then (and yes I do remember the 2001 SEC CG)

It's amazing how we took things for granted...

Reactions: 2 people
Casey Clausen was a huge part of me becoming a Vols fan. As well as Marcus Haislip and Vincent Yarbrough for basketball. Vols or nothing.

The bad rap on him came from some home games and the Chick-Fil-A bowl games. The 2001 SEC Championship game was a game where he played good enough to win. The fans felt the teams he led should have been in that game every year with the talent level. I also think the way he started his career was way too good to sustain. He will always be remembered for winning at Miami and twice at Florida. He was a very good QB and was on the tail-end of a run of great passers starting with Andy Kelly. Kelly, Shuler, Manning, Martin, Clausen, Ainge. Yeah, we may have been a bit spoiled at the QB position.

Last edited:
Criminally underrated Vol and a good one to remember during Florida week.

Saturday's Vol Legend: Casey Clausen

As good as Casey Clausen was on the road he was equally as bad in the rain. I still have nightmares of the 2002 Florida game when we fumbled at least 4 center exchanges in the first half and lost 30-13 to an average Gator team coached by Ron Zook. Still Casey went 2-1 against the Gators overall with both wins in the swamp.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back