I was there...

NickZ4UT

I was there the last time we beat the Gators... there's no analysis here, no hype, no drama. The weekend didn't start well, the remnants of hurricane Ivan swept through the North Carolina mountains and washed out portions of I-40 but coming from Charlotte I trekked ever northward toward Kingsport and caught 81 coming west. I even managed to stop by the side of the road that Friday night to enjoy the beautiful sky in the Tennessee mountains, it was glorious. That evening I arrived in Knoxville and met up with an old friend, we spent most of the night catching up on a fifth of jack.

Game day; we were all excited, tenuously waiting the start of the game, you could feel it in the air. It was a wild game with swings both ways but there was one thing I'll remember until my dying day. I remember clear as yesterday; we missed the extra point and I looked over at my buddy who was as distraught as everyone else that night and I said "We are going to win". He looked at me curiously and I knew that Fulmer couldn't play it safe anymore, he HAD to play to win. Sure enough, James Wilhoit kicked that 50 yarder and the place went crazy, I've never heard anything louder in my life. As a side note, if anyone found a blue Nokia phone missing a battery that night in the student section, you have something that belongs to me.

I remember the euphoria of walking down the strip, it was a great time to be a vol. That was 10 years ago, 10 agonizing years of frustration and mediocrity. I am ready to cast off those demons and write a new chapter in this rivalry.

Reactions: 8 people
I was there too. It was a magical night. By far the loudest event I've ever been to in my life.

Reactions: 1 person
Good post OP. I was living in Wyoming and could hear Neyland Stadium all the way up there. I think the ball Wilhoit kicked, landed in the parking lot of my apartment complex. It was a good day.

I got married that day, and watched part of it from my reception. Looking back, was one of the better parts of the day!!

Reactions: 3 people
I was at home having an in home date night with my wife (we do this once a month, I cook and we watch a movie). I had secretly turned the TV on in the bedroom. I told her I had a kidney stone for my excuse to keep going to the "bathroom". It worked great until he hit that 50 yarder and I couldn't hold it in, whooo!
I was busted!

I was at home having an in home date night with my wife (we do this once a month, I cook and we watch a movie). I had secretly turned the TV on in the bedroom. I told her I had a kidney stone for my excuse to keep going to the "bathroom". It worked great until he hit that 50 yarder and I couldn't hold it in, whooo!
I was busted!

I woud not have told that.

Reactions: 2 people
I was busted!

images

Reactions: 13 people
I was there the last time we beat the Gators... there's no analysis here, no hype, no drama. The weekend didn't start well, the remnants of hurricane Ivan swept through the North Carolina mountains and washed out portions of I-40 but coming from Charlotte I trekked ever northward toward Kingsport and caught 81 coming west. I even managed to stop by the side of the road that Friday night to enjoy the beautiful sky in the Tennessee mountains, it was glorious. That evening I arrived in Knoxville and met up with an old friend, we spent most of the night catching up on a fifth of jack.

Game day; we were all excited, tenuously waiting the start of the game, you could feel it in the air. It was a wild game with swings both ways but there was one thing I'll remember until my dying day. I remember clear as yesterday; we missed the extra point and I looked over at my buddy who was as distraught as everyone else that night and I said "We are going to win". He looked at me curiously and I knew that Fulmer couldn't play it safe anymore, he HAD to play to win. Sure enough, James Wilhoit kicked that 50 yarder and the place went crazy, I've never heard anything louder in my life. As a side note, if anyone found a blue Nokia phone missing a battery that night in the student section, you have something that belongs to me.

I remember the euphoria of walking down the strip, it was a great time to be a vol. That was 10 years ago, 10 agonizing years of frustration and mediocrity. I am ready to cast off those demons and write a new chapter in this rivalry.

I was there. It was the first time my wife attended a Vols game. I bought tickets on the strip just before kick off. We were deep in the Florida section, just up from Mr. Two Bits. The fans were pretty obnoxious and aggressive. But when the final whistle blew, it was just my wife and I cheering as the Gator fans slowly made their way to the exits. It was electric. I knew right then she was ruined as far as football games go.

I was there also section HH. It was a fun night to say the least. Florida fans ran their mouth the whole game but they wouldn't say anything after the game ended. I don't have any use for people from Florida moving to east Tennessee.

I was there with my son who was 10 at the time. He still talks about beating the gators. We were in Y-8 being told to sit down by a man behind us. Pissed me off so we stood almost the whole game.

I was there and I was surrounded by negavols who had given up. I kept cheering and was asked to leave my section . I watched the winning kick standing in the seating entrance. Everyone apologized to me after the game .

Having, also, been there on that magical night, the place went crazy when the Florida kicker missed.....

I remember sitting in Y9 with my head in my hands after wilhout missed the PAT

I had a wave of clarity and peace wash over me because even as drunk as I was o knew fulmer had to play for the win. I remember clearly stating "we are going to win"

I was busted!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 166
I was 11 years old the last time we beat them, I barely remember it. We have to win Saturday. It can't be 10 straight years, it CAN'T! I'm going to be there.

I, too, was there. It was amazing. But it was also scary as scary gets. The nerves were through the roof. We all remember the kick going through the uprights and going crazy. I will also be there this weekend hope for the same overall outcome, a win. No matter how it has to happen.

BUT, my question to you is, do YOU have confidence that if the final seconds came to kicking a field goal, do you believe in Mr. Medley to seal the game for us?

That was a magical night. Will be hard to bet that as my greatest experience as a Tenn fan. Crowd was still going crazy 30 min after the game.

I was 11 years old the last time we beat them, I barely remember it. We have to win Saturday. It can't be 10 straight years, it CAN'T! I'm going to be there.

I was also 11 at the time, but I remember it like it was yesterday. But I'm agreeing with you, it's time to qqwwhip they gator azz.

We should continue this thread after Saturday....and talk about that day with the same smile on our face.

I was there, and had probably the best seats I ever had for that game. Sideline about 20 rows up. Near student section. It was loud and nuts and I was barely 21 years old. One of my favorite games cause of the shock of us losing the game had sank in then the shock of having won on that field goal that many ppl didn't think Wilhoit would make since he had just missed one. The Florida fans around me were celebrating after he missed and we were deflated. Oh that look on their face when Wilhoit redeemed himself. It still comes in close second to the 1998 UF overtime victory that I went to. That night still seems like a dream to me.

VN Store

Back