BUMP AND HOLD DB's of UFvsUT

ItsAllVols

Go Vols
As we all know from past games the DB's at Florida seems to be taught to hold if they have been beat, its also gets in the heads of the WR they are being held and the Refs :thud: are not calling it.

Just a little something I saw at one of the open practices, the WR's bringing the hits to the DB to help control the impact of the chuck and the route WR are suppose to be running, will it make a difference?

Lets hope so because it seems to be the neutralizer of our WRU group and the all American DB group of UF.

Last edited:
I thought after the OU game that holding was now permissible per SEC refs. Did the rule change again?

Reactions: 3 people
I've noticed this too over the last few UF/UT games. It must be something Muschamp teaches.

Nothing wrong with bump coverage and fighting for position, but it seems the UF corners are blatantly holding and its only called about half the time.

Reactions: 1 person
A lot of teams run man coverage but few play bump & run. It is normally a sign that the defense doesn't respect the receivers. The first time one of our kids knocks down a corner and makes a catch you can expect the trend to begin to change. So far they have been playing with a great deal of confidence against us. We need to change that early on in the game Saturday. The big key will be if they can stop Hurd with their front seven. If they can't we will hit some touchdowns out wide against them in man coverage. If they can stop Hurd with their backers they will keep their safeties back and mess with Worley all day.

Reactions: 2 people
Should test corners first play with three wide on right side and one wide on left. Need to confuse them right out of the gates.

Muschamp learned that from Saban.

It is and will be an advantage of Jones' offensive philosophy. UT is big and strong at WR.

I thought they were doing their best impersonation of a superman cape.

North gonna North, holding or not. I am just hopeful Croom continues playing aggressive. No disrespect to him but he's the type of guy UF would be looking to knock out of plays by doing this.

Gator DB's dont do anything illegal, our WR's just got beat up at the point of attack

i dont see nothin wrong.... with a little bump and grind...

just as long as its not between wr's and db's

As we all know from past games the DB's at Florida seems to be taught to hold if they have been beat, its also gets in the heads of the WR they are being held and the Refs :thud: are not calling it.

Just a little something I saw at one of the open practices, the WR's bringing the hits to the DB to help control the impact of the chuck and the route the WR are suppose to be running, will it make a difference?

Lets hope so because it seems to be the neutralizer of our WRU group and the all American DB group of UF.

I'm glad to hear that they're working on this in practice because that's what they will face. In the Muschamp era, the DB's grab, hold, and generally try to rough up our receivers. (and yes, much of it is illegal) You can't count on the refs to call it every time it happens because they won't do it.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm glad to hear that they're working on this in practice because that's what they will face. In the Muschamp era, the DB's grab, hold, and generally try to rough up our receivers. (and yes, much of it is illegal) You can't count on the refs to call it every time it happens because they won't do it.

Refs were completely oblivious to it in 2012. Anytime CP and Hunter got separation you could see the jersey being stretched. The safeties were absolutely violating Rivera as well. It's what Muschamp teaches but has been going on there for longer than that. Right now, North is the only receiver Tennessee has that I fell confident will make them pay for it. Croom is a good kid but plays way too small to do anything about it.

It's the way the game is being played, better a PI than give up the TD. Adjust.

Understood, but my comment was about the open practice that I saw something that I hadn't seen before, that the WR was taking the bump to the DB, or being physical at the point of attack.

UF was mugging the Bama receivers a couple weeks ago. Bama's receivers still made plays. That's what ours need to do.

UF was mugging the Bama receivers a couple weeks ago. Bama's receivers still made plays. That's what ours need to do.

And since we have practiced since this past spring, we should be able to take the mugging and over come it, in the past it seem they would totally shut us down.

It is and will be an advantage of Jones' offensive philosophy. UT is big and strong at WR.

We are, but I don't think the WRs have played up to their potential thus far. I don't see a lot of them getting separation and fighting through press coverage. That will need to change this week.

CWM said in his conference said they would be in nickel most of the game, with that he must think they can stop the run with the front 7.

VN Store

Back