Tuesday Practice Thread

VolnJC

No Josh or Von(update Josh ruled out Von practiced questionable for Sat)
Lane in green jersey
Worley in sleeve
Gilliam back in pads(won't play Sat)

Justin Worley, wearing an elbow sleeve, seemed to be fine. Marlin Lane was in green. No Von Pearson or Josh Smith.

Last edited:
Dang really hope we can get at least one of Von or Josh back for Saturday. I think someone on another thread quoted Butch as saying Von was closer to being back some doubt we will have Josh.

@TheDannyParker: #Vols @UTCoachJones calls freshman RB Jalen Hurd a "very prideful" player.

@John_BriceVQ: . @UTCoachJones says @WorleyBird_14 showed him something at UGA. But notes Worley always is consistent & 100%

@Ben_Fred: #Vols tackle Gilliam, who was previously thought to be out for season with a torn ACL, wore pads & did drill work today.

@NoOrangeRhymes: BUTCH: There's a chance that Jacob Gilliam could play this season. No timetable, though. #Vols

@NoOrangeRhymes: BUTCH: Florida's offense is dynamic. We fully expect to see the wildcat. We expect them to run the QB. The game will be fast. #Vols

@TheDannyParker: #Vols @UTCoachJones says #Florida QB Jeff Driskel can "make all the throws" and there was a reason why he was No. 1-rated QB coming out.

@TheDannyParker: #Vols @UTCoachJones confirms junior WR Von Pearson did practice some Tuesday. Sophomore WR Josh Smith out for Florida game.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Danny Parker ‏@TheDannyParker · 31s32 seconds ago
#Vols @UTCoachJones confirms junior WR Von Pearson did practice some Tuesday. Sophomore WR Josh Smith out for Florida game.

Troy Provost-Heron ‏@TPro_UTDB · 1m1 minute ago
Jones says that Josh Smith has been ruled out against Florida. #Vols

Reactions: 2 people
Danny Parker ‏@TheDannyParker · 31s32 seconds ago
#Vols @UTCoachJones confirms junior WR Von Pearson did practice some Tuesday. Sophomore WR Josh Smith out for Florida game.

Troy Provost-Heron ‏@TPro_UTDB · 1m1 minute ago
Jones says that Josh Smith has been ruled out against Florida. #Vols

Please von. Be be able to play.

Reactions: 5 people
@NoOrangeRhymes: BUTCH: It's early, but I've like our approach so far this week. #Vols

@TheDannyParker: #Vols @UTCoachJones says having freshman TE Ethan Wolf back is "critical." Maintains that OL is a "work in progress."

@NoOrangeRhymes: BUTCH: I think our offense is taking strides, but is still a work in progress. #Vols

Man I hope Von comes back full speed Saturday. It's seems like forever ago when he juked the Utah state kid for the TD! We need another play-maker! Go Vols!!

Reactions: 1 person
Wes Rucker ‏@wesrucker247 · 4m4 minutes ago
WR Von Pearson (high ankle sprain) and LT Jacob Gilliam (torn ACL) practiced today for #Vols. Gilliam won't play Saturday. Pearson might.

I was at the arky st game and told my brother I thought Von broke his ankle. Good to see he is almost ready. Shoutout to Malone and Croom though, they stepped up against Georgia.

TENNESSEIZURE ‏@NoOrangeRhymes · 3m3 minutes ago
WORLEY: I'll be 100% by Saturday. There's just a little bit of discomfort when I throw. #Vols

@NoOrangeRhymes: BUTCH: I think our offense is taking strides, but is still a work in progress. #Vols

@NoOrangeRhymes: MALONE: (on UF rivalry) We don't like them and they don't like us. #Vols

Reactions: 3 people
1. Worley practiced with protective sleeve
2. Lane and Sutton wore green
3. No one else was in limited contact
4. No Smith or Pearson
5. No music on the field today and Jones railed some players for being too quiet.

Fast Five: Tennessee Vols football Tuesday practice

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred
#Vols tackle Jacob Gilliam, who was previously thought to be out for season with a torn ACL, wore full pads and did drill work today.

Dillon Bates was in shorts on the side, as he prepares for season-ending shoulder surgery at week's end. Bates is expected to have surgery on Friday.

Marlin Lane was in a green, non-contact jersey as was starting cornerback Michael Williams.

Offensively with Lane limited, Derrell Scott appeared to be the big beneficiary as the freshman tailback got perhaps his most extensive work to date following lingering ankle and concussion injuries suffered in pre-season camp.

https://tennessee.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1687392

By0AEvlCQAETpgQ.jpg

@NoOrangeRhymes: MALONE: (on UF rivalry) We don't like them and they don't like us. #Vols

Malone's quote proves how important it is to have guys who understand UT tradition. It's a even bigger bonus when those guys are as good as Hurd, TKJR, and Malone are. These guys play with passion, and they understand the importance of representing the power T.

Worley better come out with that black sleeve on saturday. He played lights out after the injury. Haha

*superstitious*

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO4JN0Q5-gQ[/youtube]

JONES: Worley did well. He was 100 oct. Taken every rep. Just happen to get hit on his funny bone.

JONES: Our players have a lot of exams and we are all about the academics so we bumped up the practice time.

JONES: @MrHurd_1 is very mature with his consistency. You know what you are getting every day. He takes a lot of pride in his craft.

JONES: Hurd missed his senior year and had all these expectations placed on him and he has performed well.

JONES: The challenge of preparing for Florida offense is that they are explosive and very balanced. We have to prepare for the Wildcat

JONES: You have to be prepared for everything and anything. They have great team speed. Driskel can run the football as can the backup QB

JONES: Our secondary will be even more challenges this week. Driskel has a live arm.

JONES: There is a chance Jacob Gilliam could play again this season. Can he withstand the pounding of the season. He did not have surgery.

JONES: We are going to be patient and place any expectations on Gilliam for this season.

JONES: @j_croom18 confidence is building. We are challenging him to play big. We want him to own the ball in the air.

JONES: Von Pearson practices a little bit today. Great to have him out there today. Not sure his availability for Saturday.

JONES: Josh Smith is out for Saturday.

JONES:Florida has great players, great speed. They are a very, very good football team. We have to bring our A game. Preparation is critical

JONES: You are always disappointed after a loss. We want it linger a little bit when you invest in winning and expect to win.

JONES: On Monday, it was hey it's a new week. But, When you see a team that hurts after a game you like that.

JONES: I see our pad level getting better, everything is about getting better. Also, we have stressed this week about accelerating our feet.

JONES: You try to be as prepared as best as possible for Saturday. Assignment and alignment with discipline and effort.

JONES: @ToddKellyJr6 has an overall maturity his thirst and drive to be the best he can be. He asks a lot of questions. He asks why?

JONES: @ToddKellyJr6 has done a great job of learning and applying the defensive schemes. He's been exceptionally mature.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh1BWmxtVmY[/youtube]

WORLEY: My arm is a little sore, but nothing major. I'll be 100 for Saturday.

WORLEY: The sleeve is protective. I plan on wearing it on Saturday. It fits tight, it's there for protection.

WORLEY: Peyton is an awesome guy. To have him talk to me on the sideline was pretty sweet.

WORLEY: After the 1 min drive he gave me a fist pump and said that was pretty awesome.

WORLEY: We don't give up, we showed that in the Oklahoma game and then we showed that again on Saturday.

WORLEY: The way we bounce back after the End zone fumble shows signs of the youth developing.

WORLEY: It was huge for @j_croom18 confidence making that catch in the back of the end zone.

WORLEY: It's awesome to see @MrHurd_1 as he has progressed from Day 1 of camp. He's done a great job of knowing what needs to happen.

WORLEY: We are a great football team, we just have to stop shooting ourselves in the foot. We have limit mistakes and turnovers.

WORLEY: We have to play with the confidence that we can to win games.

WORLEY: You can feel the tension in the air. Everyone knows it's Florida week. You can tell that.

WORLEY: Everyone dreams of playing in one of the biggest rivalries in college football.

The event schedule on Lil Jon's official website shows a tour that will keep him out of the country until the end of Tennessee's season. Below is the rest of Tennessee's home schedule this season and where Lil Jon is scheduled to be on each of those Saturdays.

Tennessee's home schedule Lil Jon's road schedule

10/4 Florida Kimberley, South Africa
10/11 Chattanooga Scottsdale, Ariz.
10/25 Alabama Sydney, Australia
11/15 Kentucky Grand Prairie, Texas
11/22 Missouri Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

So what does Lil Jon's tweet to Tennessee mean? There are several possibilities. And all of them are likely to include Lil Jon making some money.

WNML The Sports Animal - Lil Jon coming to Neyland Stadium? Probably not

What is the Sit-Rep on Gilliam? Did he have surgery, already? Or is he trying to play on a partially torn ACL?

I had a partially torn ACL when I was in the 82nd Airborne Div. and after all the swelling went down, they had me back to running regular PT every day, humping a 100lb ruck sack in the field and jumping each month.

So, if he had just a minor tear, I could see them doing something similar. Just letting him try (while keeping a brace on it.

Whatever with Lil john, I am looking for this damn offensive staff to find ways to get North the ring ball!
Lil John's a$$. I am old enough to remember Big John, Big Ja...ohn, Big Bad John, Big John.

Every mornin' at the mine, you'd see him arrive. He stood 6 foot 6 and weighed 245. Kinda broad at the shoulder, and narrow at the hip, and everybody knew you didn't give no lip to Big John.

Reactions: 8 people
Senior quarterback Justin Worley did not appear to be affected by the elbow injury that cost him about a quarter of Saturday's 35-32 loss at Georgia. Worley wore an orange sleeve on his arm, but was a full participant in practice and didn't appear to lose anything on his throws. Tennessee coach Butch Jones did chide him for being less enthusiastic than usual, asking on the microphone at one point "Who's the leader of this group, Worley? You're quiet today."

Instant analysis: Justin Worley appears unaffected by elbow injury - GoVolsXtra Story

What is the Sit-Rep on Gilliam? Did he have surgery, already? Or is he trying to play on a partially torn ACL?

I had a partially torn ACL when I was in the 82nd Airborne Div. and after all the swelling went down, they had me back to running regular PT every day, humping a 100lb ruck sack in the field and jumping each month.

So, if he had just a minor tear, I could see them doing something similar. Just letting him try (while keeping a brace on it.

He already had the surgery. He is a determined man! If he has his strength, I think he will be back for Ole Miss. Should be a motivator for the Oline either way.

JONES: Worley did well. He was 100 oct. Taken every rep. Just happen to get hit on his funny bone.

JONES: Our players have a lot of exams and we are all about the academics so we bumped up the practice time.

JONES: @MrHurd_1 is very mature with his consistency. You know what you are getting every day. He takes a lot of pride in his craft.

JONES: Hurd missed his senior year and had all these expectations placed on him and he has performed well.

JONES: The challenge of preparing for Florida offense is that they are explosive and very balanced. We have to prepare for the Wildcat

JONES: You have to be prepared for everything and anything. They have great team speed. Driskel can run the football as can the backup QB

JONES: Our secondary will be even more challenges this week. Driskel has a live arm.

JONES: There is a chance Jacob Gilliam could play again this season. Can he withstand the pounding of the season. He did not have surgery.

JONES: We are going to be patient and place any expectations on Gilliam for this season.

JONES: @j_croom18 confidence is building. We are challenging him to play big. We want him to own the ball in the air.

JONES: Von Pearson practices a little bit today. Great to have him out there today. Not sure his availability for Saturday.

JONES:Florida has great players, great speed. They are a very, very good football team. We have to bring our A game. Preparation is critical

JONES: You are always disappointed after a loss. We want it linger a little bit when you invest in winning and expect to win.

JONES: On Monday, it was hey it's a new week. But, When you see a team that hurts after a game you like that.

JONES: I see our pad level getting better, everything is about getting better. Also, we have stressed this week about accelerating our feet.

JONES: You try to be as prepared as best as possible for Saturday. Assignment and alignment with discipline and effort.

JONES: @ToddKellyJr6 has an overall maturity his thirst and drive to be the best he can be. He asks a lot of questions. He asks why?

JONES: @ToddKellyJr6 has done a great job of learning and applying the defensive schemes. He's been exceptionally mature.

Thanks bub. Watched every minute

Gilliam did not have surgery. I saw a few ask that.

VN Store

Back