Film Study: Vols RB Jalen Hurd is a franchise player in the making

WilliamDuVOL

Film Study: Vols RB Jalen Hurd is a franchise player in the making

Hurd is getting some attention and love, and it's well deserved. Watching him run with a couple Georgia players hanging off of him was awesome. He has drive, skill, strength, speed, and you can tell he wants every yard he gets. And he's only played four college games. He's going to be special.

It’s been a while since the University of Tennessee has truly had a franchise running back at its disposal.

Sure it has had some talented backs: Rajion Neal, Marlin Lane, Tauren Poole and Montario Hardesty immediately come to mind.

And while former 5-star recruit Bryce Brown certainly had the most talent out of anyone, his tumultuous one-year stay in Knoxville left a lot to be desired; that leaves the severely underrated Arian Foster — whose 1,193-yard 12-touchdown effort in 2007 was remarkable — as arguably the last back the Vols could hitch their wagon to if all else failed.

That is, until super recruit Jalen Hurd faxed in his signed letter of intent to suit up for the Orange and White.

Reactions: 19 people
I genuinely believe that Jalen Hurd will be the first vols heisman winner in 2016. He's one of the most talented back in the conference and hasn't even hit most potential. Kids gonna be a star.

Reactions: 7 people
i'm curious to see if they do more delayed hand offs to him, those seem to work the best right now for him.

Reactions: 3 people
Future is bright for JH. I would like to see Lane step up his game to give JH a breather at times. Wear and tear in SEC play will determine JH's success.

Reactions: 1 person
The SEC will probably have the 3 best backs in the country in 2016 and all likely Heisman candidates in Hurd, Chubb, and Fournette. Chubb will be splitting carries pretty evenly with Michel so that might cancel his chances.

I genuinely believe that Jalen Hurd will be the first vols heisman winner in 2016. He's one of the most talented back in the conference and hasn't even hit most potential. Kids gonna be a star.

Oh boy, setting yourself up for disappointment there. Our history with the heistman ain't so great. I'm sure Hurd will be a star... and with our luck a punter from Ohio State will end up beating him out.

Reactions: 6 people
When you arrive with 5 bright stars, a lot is going to be expected of you. As a coach, when you land such a player, a lot is expected of you, too. So far, so good!

GO BIG ORANGE!

Oh boy, setting yourself up for disappointment there. Our history with the heistman ain't so great. I'm sure Hurd will be a star... and with our luck a punter from Ohio State will end up beating him out.

Offensive Guard from MI, IMO. ESPN invents new "pancake tracker" just to improve his chances of winning.

AV

Reactions: 4 people
If only he had an offensive line to run behind. Who knows how high his ceiling is because right now he is really being held back by the line....and still shows flashes that impress the heck out of me.

Been extremely pleased with Hurd .. It is nice to see a Tennessee Running back break the first tackle.. He is very patient as well with those direct snaps which is amazing..

He will get another full off season to get bigger and faster. He has got a lot of mass he can put onto that big frame. He really does remind me of Gurley at times.. Next year he should be extremely impressive.

love watching Hurd...he runs with purpose and power...doesn't give up...also does what he can to make any play work...loved it when he leveled one of the UGA guys who was blitzing last week....don't see that from a RB too often!

if someone like gurley doesn't win it this year at RB I don't give any chance to Hurd. They'd probably pick an outside linebacker to give it to if it came between him and another player.

Wait a minute...I thought one of our former players said that he was soft and terrible???

This Kid, Jalen Hurd when he sees a rushing LB or CB they are toast, he flat out lays a hit on them to stop their rush.

There were two very good plays that stood out to me Saturday:
1) He meets three UGA players at the line and keeps driving and somehow breaks free
2) He carried two or three players about 5 yards until reinforcements arrived.

The SEC will probably have the 3 best backs in the country in 2016 and all likely Heisman candidates in Hurd, Chubb, and Fournette. Chubb will be splitting carries pretty evenly with Michel so that might cancel his chances.

And Hurd could be splitting carries with Kamara and/or Scott.

Dread

Think you're on to something but the back Chubb will be splitting with was a huge 5-star recruit as well and until the shoulder injury was on fire. Sony Michel is as good as the top three you listed there and with Chubb being on the list, I am certainly not saying that to take a shot at any of them, just saying SONY IS THAT GOOD

And those quality fresh back can keep us moving the chains and getting more plays/carries for all. :question:

That's stating the obvious. My response was to the post that said Chubb likely wouldn't have a shot at the Heisman due to splitting carries with Michel. My point was that Hurd could have the same issue, if the Heisman was the only thing that mattered.

VN Store

Back