3rd down for what?!?! #1 in tha nation

SeniorDrill

We are now leading the nation in 3rd Down Conversion Defense after holding Georgia to one conversion in 10 attempts. In four games we have only allowed teams to convert a third down into a first down on an incredible 1 out of 5 attempts. If not for Gurley, the best running back in college football, we win that game going away!
3rd Down Conversion Pct Defense | FBS Football Statistics - NCAA.com

Reactions: 33 people
Huge. Important when considering against the offenses of two top ranked opponents. There is some good coaching going on by someone.

THIRD DOWN FOR WHAT!!

Reactions: 11 people
They said all offseason they wanted to be the best 3rd down defense and are currently delivering on what they set out to do. Butch has done everything he said he was going to do this far. Unfortunately it hasn't showed up in the win column yet but he did say it is a process and I fully believe in him. WE WILL BEAT FLORIDA and get that rivalry swinging back our way. If Blake Sims can look like Peyton Manning versus that defense why not Worley. Florida better bring their A game or this could get ugly. These guys are hungry

Reactions: 6 people
That doesn't factor in if the offense goes for it on 4th down, does it? I was thinking of UGA's 1st and last drives of the game where the converted 4th downs.

Regardless, if UT can get the opponent to 3rd down they're doing a great job.

We are now leading the nation in 3rd Down Conversion Defense after holding Georgia to one conversion in 10 attempts. In four games we have only allowed teams to convert a third down into a first down on an incredible 1 out of 5 attempts. If not for Gurley, the best running back in college football, we win that game going away!
3rd Down Conversion Pct Defense | FBS Football Statistics - NCAA.com

Another thing to consider, beyond Alabama, we have already faced the best offense and the best defense we will face the entire season. This speaks well of our opportunities for the rest of the season.

Reactions: 2 people
The def is good enough to win 8 games.. I've seen similar def in fulmer yrs and we would end up in the 8 win range. Saying that their off were better so it seems we can never get both playing well lately.

Reactions: 1 person
Another thing to consider, beyond Alabama, we have already faced the best offense and the best defense we will face the entire season. This speaks well of our opportunities for the rest of the season.

You got that right. Now think 9-4 possible counting bowl.

And despite all the flags at UGA were one of the least penalized teams in the nation too. With all the freshmen playing that's kinda surprising. Eventually these things add up to victories. Hopefully sooner than later.

Great post OP.

We're definitely on the right path, we just have to remain patient with progress. At least that's what I find I need reminding of after a loss like yesterday's.

Gurly's a game changer and it goes to show us all how one guy and few plays can determine the outcome of a close game. That's why recruiting is so important and why this staff should get a bonus based on both wins and recruitment.

Georgia was 1-10 yesterday
Bynpl42IEAErCwI.png

Reactions: 6 people
That doesn't factor in if the offense goes for it on 4th down, does it? I was thinking of UGA's 1st and last drives of the game where the converted 4th downs.

Regardless, if UT can get the opponent to 3rd down they're doing a great job.

Right on. That last 4th down conversion was all Gurley

The truth is Georgia won that game on Gurley. Their D is subpar and they don't hve a QB. The future looks much brighter than what Dawg fans can see. The ball didnt bounce UTs way this time. The rookie mistakes are dwindling

When we get those two DTs next year and add more depth to every position we will not be giving up 289 yards rushing to the traditional teams like Georgia. They just wore us down.

Our offense did get over 400 total yards, never thought I'd say this but I wish we could have Worley back next year cause it could be a special year.

We're doing great on 3rd down defensively. Obviously need to force more 3rd downs than we did the last 2 games.

That's awesome. I think we can shut down floridas offense as long as we come in and play our hardest. Only thing to be worried about is the Driskel ephianey

I love the grit and toughness of this team. If that was a stat we'd be number one in that too

Last edited:
The truth is Georgia won that game on Gurley. Their D is subpar and they don't hve a QB. The future looks much brighter than what Dawg fans can see. The ball didnt bounce UTs way this time. The rookie mistakes are dwindling

Vols still win despite Gurley if they just don't turn it over. You can't beat teams like Georgia by handing them a fumble for 7 and a sure 3 on the red zone exchange between Lane and Peterman.

VN Store

Back