Tennessees Defense Fast and Athletic

JohnMcA60

The guy on ESPN with Mark May thinks so(not Lou). He said we have improved in speed and other areas such as hard hitting safeties. My question is how much more improved do you think our defense, in both categories (run and pass) , is compared to the 2013 defense??

First game without facing a threat from a running QB. I think we will look good this week.Third down fa what?

i think this is one reason why we've played UGA close the past couple years, even though we were outmatched. We can let the line pin their ears back without worrying if they'll break a huge play.

Now, of course there was that blazing fast guy last year that took off on a seam down the middle.... :blink:

The best part is we are only going to get better with Butch in charge. He is bringing in the players we need to win in the SEC. We will be back on top of the SEC before too long. Good chance we will win the SEC east next year.

Reactions: 6 people
Our defense has improved, no doubt. Our offense is soft. Can't wait till we get some bully's/thugs in there(OL).

Our defense has improved, no doubt. Our offense is soft. Can't wait till we get some bully's/thugs in there(OL).

If you are waiting for some thugs, better get in yur 'way back' machine to Kiffin's year. CBJ seems to be anti-thug. Thankfully.:hi:

Reactions: 5 people
Only 4 weeks in and like most, I see an improvement with the back 7. IMO, the speed has improved but isn't quite there yet. I'm really diggin the LB unit and with all the talk about the front 4 drop off at the beginning of the season, I am impressed so far with the freshmen. I honestly think UT's defense will be one of the nastier units in the SEC in next year and beyond. Butch Jones is bringing in the talent and hopefully more will line up to compliment what's here already and those on deck.

This week will be the 2nd consecutive week that Jones will have the same lineup in the OL. If I am correct, three games so far has seen three different combos in the OL. IF he has settled that this will be the starting 5 from here on out then the continuity of playing together as a unit will only produce better play from this point on. They'll practice as a unit and learn as a unit...I think they'll be ok by mid season, hopefully with the week bye, we'll see noticeable improvements vs. Georgia. I am liking what I see from Worley. When he has time, he is pretty damn solid. UT just needs to get them running lanes open and when that happens, UT will be dangerous.

Reactions: 4 people
If you are waiting for some thugs, better get in yur 'way back' machine to Kiffin's year. CBJ seems to be anti-thug. Thankfully.:hi:
"Thugs" ....not in the off the field sense( sorry, forgot where I was posting). I was referencing "Thugs" on the field.....the attitude.. the "your my bi*ch" attitude". The Wilson/Little type of attitude. The Cam Sutton attitude(not a lineman but has the "thug").
We need mean Linemen. This is the SEC. You HAVE to have them to win.
But yes, we do not want any off the field crap....or want anything to do with Thugish behavior. But If our Lineman aren't Mean or Thuggish on the field.... You and I will crying about not getting to a bowl game NCvol.

Last edited:
You've got to remember this is the youngest oline in the conference if not country if I'm not mistaken we're starting 2 true fr. this week.

You've got to remember this is the youngest oline in the conference if not country if I'm not mistaken we're starting 2 true fr. this week.

I see your point and agree somewhat, but on the other hand, it was clear to see our OL just put a little push in...and then surrendered.
Maybe Im too quick to judge this OL.....I hope so. It won't be the first time I was wrong or quick to judge.

Reactions: 1 person
We don't need no thugs. You can be a big nasty without being a thug, good grief people that think that way need to get a life. GO VOLS!!

"Thugs" ....not in the off the field sense( sorry, forgot where I was posting). I was referencing "Thugs" on the field.....the attitude.. the "your my bi*ch" attitude". The Wilson/Little type of attitude. The Cam Sutton attitude(not a lineman but has the "thug").
But yes, we do not want any off the field crap....or want anything to do with Thugish behavior. But If our Lineman aren't Mean or Thuggish on the field.... You and I will crying about not getting to a bowl game NCvol.

I know what your trying to say but the term THUG has nothing to do with being a mean tough football player, at least to me and I believe most people. GO VOLS!!

I see your point and agree somewhat, but on the other hand, it was clear to see our OL just put a little push in...and then surrendered.
Maybe Im too quick to judge this OL.....I hope so. It won't be the first time I was wrong or quick to judge.

im not following ..?

This defense contained 2 very mobile quarterbacks, and pretty much shut Oklahoma down in the 2nd half. They are much improved.

Reactions: 1 person

Thugs are criminals. It would not be my word of choosing if I described a player. Intense or mean would work perfectly in this sense. We need linemen with a major mean streak.

Reactions: 2 people
I know what your trying to say but the term THUG has nothing to do with being a mean tough football player, at least to me and I believe most people. GO VOLS!!

I admit, "thug" is not a term I should have used to describe what is needed up front. Folks assume "thug" off the field and can't see past that.
Instead of "gangster thug linemen", "mean hardnosed nasty linemen" is better. Maybe even "bonecrushers"

Thugs are criminals. It would not be my word of choosing if I described a player. Intense or mean would work perfectly in this sense. We need linemen with a major mean streak.

agree...bad choice of words on my part. Was just thinking of on the field attitude between opposing players ON the field.....playing football.

I think swager is the word your looking for

VN Store

Back