Time for Vol Calls (FreakNotes style)

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Let's do this. Butch Jones and Dave Hart on the show tonight.

(My notes are considered accurate but transcribed live and not guaranteed)

Butch Jones

-Feels good to get back into game week prep. It's been a productive work week. So much goes into a bye week, but it's actually one of the busiest weeks we've had. Gives our guys a chance to get healthy.

-Very beneficial for the young players. Kids had numerous exams and papers due, so it was a chance for them to get caught up. An open date also gives us a chance to get back to fundamentals instead of game prep and fine tune those details.

-Wolf is back. Helm is back. Pearson will not make the trip. He's really working to try to get back. We will know more on Josh Smith tomorrow but it doesn't look good.

-Malone has had a good week of practice.

-Saulsberry and Scott are going to play. It's great to have Trevarris back. He's been a warrior even though he's still not 100%. Wouldn't say Scott is 100% but probably in the 90s.

-Georgia's stable of running backs are very, very talented. The freshman back is very dynamic. Hutson Mason is playing winning football and managing the game. They have a different starting lineup on defense each week, which shows their depth.

-Wilson is a great player who can make you right when you're wrong.

-Question on alternate helmets: No, we will not have an alternate helmet this year. We are going to stick with the great tradition we have at Tennessee.

-We have to stop the run first and foremost. In the secondary we need good eye discipline.

-Cam Sutton is playing really well. Not only is he playing well but he's a leader in every aspect of our program. Every time coming out of the tunnel, he's the one who grabs my arm and I basically have to hold him back.

-I see a football team that's extremely close. We took off two more stripes today: Dewayne Hendrix and Vic Wharton.

-We can't have three-and-outs on offense. Time of possession is very important as is the overall field position.

-We have to stop the run, make UGA drive the football and force turnovers. We have to score TDs in the red zone.

-We had three NFL scouts in here today and they talked about how hard our kids worked.

-Our individuals up front are extremely prideful. They hear everything everyone says. They are working exceptionally hard every day. Worley has done a good job of building a good rapport with the entire offense.

-You need to live football at Tennessee. It's a commitment. It's a lifestyle.

-Bullock and Medley have been battling. It's all about consistency. We chart everything and whoever wins that competition will be our kicker Saturday.

-Coleman Thomas continues to improve. Jashon Robertson has done a really, really good job. I don't think there's another team in the country with freshmen at RG, RT and TE.

-13 out of 70 kids on our team have been in Georgia's stadium before. (Meaning only 13 kids were here to make the trip two years ago).

-AJ Johnson comes to me and wants to be on punt and kickoffs. Says, all I want to do is win coach. Maggitt is the same way. These individuals are hungry. Everyone who gets to take their stripe off gets to address the team. They all came here because they want the challenge of getting Tennessee back to its rightful place.

-After every game the staff is at the office at 7am the next morning and don't go home until 11pm.

-AJ Johnson is the only one who wears long sleeves. He addressed the team and asked permission because he's superstitious.

-This game is a great opportunity and it's a divisional game.

/Butch

Reactions: 45 people
No alternate helmets this year. Many will be disappointed.

tumblr_mpzm6hYUQQ1syvpz3o1_400.gif

Reactions: 6 people
Listening to Hart, and in light of the former player interview at Michigan, I honestly could not be happier with where we are right now.

Reactions: 2 people
I may change my score prediction based off Smith prognosis. I feel we should rest him if even questionable. Huge underdogs either way so shouldn't risk him. Save and heal him for Florida.

Last edited:
I missed this. What former player?

unless Michigan hires Butch :)

Former quarterback Michael Taylor, who played for the Wolverines from 1986-1990, took to the airwaves Tuesday morning on Detroit’s 105.1 FM to share his thoughts on the state of the program.

“Actions speak louder than words,” Taylor said. “What we’ve become is a propaganda football team, telling people how great we are when we’re mediocre. When, in your last 12 games, you’ve only got victories over Northwestern, App State, Indiana and Miami (Ohio) that is not good. That is not good.
Notebook: Brandon should not 'make another decision at Michigan.' - The Michigan Daily

I see us by 10....our secondary will get 2 picks and they will result in a quick 10 points in the 4th....Sutton gets one of the INT's :dunno:

Last edited:
unless Michigan hires Butch :)

Former quarterback Michael Taylor, who played for the Wolverines from 1986-1990, took to the airwaves Tuesday morning on Detroit’s 105.1 FM to share his thoughts on the state of the program.

“Actions speak louder than words,” Taylor said. “What we’ve become is a propaganda football team, telling people how great we are when we’re mediocre. When, in your last 12 games, you’ve only got victories over Northwestern, App State, Indiana and Miami (Ohio) that is not good. That is not good.
Notebook: Brandon should not 'make another decision at Michigan.' - The Michigan Daily

Thanks VJC!

VN Store

Back