Practice 9/23

3112845.jpg

3112872.jpg

All of Tennessee's tight end corps practiced, including Daniel Helm, Woody Quinn and Ethan Wolf. So, too, did freshman tailback Derrell Scott and veteran defensive lineman Trevarris Saulsberry, who worked in full pads and continued to gain his most significant work since injuring his knee in the Vols' Aug. 16 open practice.

Neither Von Pearson nor Josh Smith practiced, with Smith still on crutches and his leg immobilized. The Vols are expected to travel just 16 players of their 70-man limit to Georgia on Saturday who have played inside the Bulldogs' stadium.

Elsewhere, the Vols continued to work every aspect of offense with virtually every skill player logging time on pass reception drills, as well as blocking and more.

https://tennessee.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1684753

Reactions: 1 person
Ethan Wolf on his knee: "The training staff did a great job of getting me back. It's been a great week of practice."

Wolf on playing at OU: "That's a biased opinion. I feel like I could've played."

Wolf added: "The coaches held me out for the betterment of my career and I appreciate that." #Vols

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
Noticed Worley under center at the end of that video and then he handed off to Lane, but that's none of my business though.

Reactions: 2 people
scroll down the page where that video is to the youtube link to "KTVA reporter quits on air"..funny stuff right there

Reactions: 3 people
Jacob Gilliam was expected to be out for the rest of the season after he tore his ACL in UT's season-opening win against Utah State on Aug. 31. But on Tuesday the redshirt senior raised some eyebrows when he ran a lap around the practice field under the supervision of a trainer. Gilliam, wearing a left knee brace, appeared to move smoothly and without pain. If Gilliam might be able to return, he could offer some help to a UT offensive line that has allowed an SEC-worst nine sacks. He secured the starting left tackle spot before he was injured.

Jones, begging his players to communicate on the field, said: "You don't have your cell phones. You can't text. So, you have to point to communicate." He later followed up with: "Your voice is your phone. Talk!"

During individual drills a trainer attended to running back Devrin Young's left foot/ankle. Linebacker Elliott Berry wore a green non-contact jersey. Injured receivers Josh Smith (ankle) and Von Pearson (ankle) were not spotted during the open portion of practice.

A Kansas City Chiefs official observed practice.

Instant analysis: Jacob Gilliam jogs during Tuesday

Worley on last year's UGA game: Last year is in the past. This is a new team, a new year. We would like to be able to say we beat them last year, but that wont have much of an effect on Saturday's game.

Worley said he thinks he's read things "pretty well" on the zone read, and there only have been three or four times this year when he maybe could have kept it that he didn't hold onto it. He said some of the plays where people have assumed he should have kept it were simply designed handoffs where he didn't have the option to pull it.

Callahan

JONES: A very good start to the week. Out of the 70 we'll take to Georgia, only 11 have played in Sanford Stadium.

JONES: We talk a lot about we can't beat ourselves. We work on that a lot, avoiding penalties and mistakes.

JONES: We spend a lot of time working on discipline and having a plan to win.

JONES on Worley running: I'm going to hold a media clinic on the zone read. It's not always the zone read.

JONES: Sometimes when it looks like the lane it open, the defensive end is making a play and it wasn't open when the decision was made.

JONES: It (UGA 13)was a step, but probably only 30 percent of the roster played in that game, a lot of them were on their recruiting visit.

JONES: It's been great for TK, he's done a lot of extra film study. He knows when he's made a mistake and what to do to correct it.

JONES on UGA's running game: The eye discipline and reading your keys. They do a lot of things that really challenge your discipline

JONES on Cam Sutton: Any time you have the luxury of playing man-on-man coverage, it gives you an advantage. He's become a leader on this tm

JONES: Scott will make the trip and he'll help us. As of right now, Saulsberry will make the trip as well.

JONES: Jacob Gilliam is very competitive, this team means everything to him, he still has a plan in the back of his mind to play.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Patrick Brown @patrickbrownTFP
Butch jokes he's going to hold a "free media clinic" regarding Justin Worley's reads on Tennessee's zone read plays.

Patrick Brown @patrickbrownTFP
Butch says both Derrell Scott and Trevarris Saulsberry would travel. Both are coming off rather lengthy injury layoffs.

Last edited:
#Vols tackle Jacob Gilliam ran under supervision of a trainer today at practice. Butch Jones said he has a dream to play again this season.

For Gilliam, it would make sense to try to return. Redshirt senior unlikely to get another year from NCAA. Could help shaky UT line.

Hard to guess how Gilliam's knee would hold up under fire, but he looked smooth while running today. Wore a brace, sleeve on left knee.

-Ben Frederickson

Last edited:
Butch on the '13 Georgia game: "I thought it was a step forward, but we came up short. At the end of the day, it's all about winning."

Grant Ramey: If you think Justin Worley should pull more on zone-reads, Butch Jones says you're probably wrong. pic.twitter.com/9t2RS0ezQt

ByQP6FmIgAA2LKl.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
Grant Ramey: If you think Justin Worley should pull more on zone-reads, Butch Jones says you're probably wrong. pic.twitter.com/9t2RS0ezQt

ByQP6FmIgAA2LKl.jpg

I literally still don't know what any of that means.

Damn you soccer! :cray:

I literally still don't know what any of that means.

Damn you soccer! :cray:

Basically there aren't that many plays that he should've kept it. A lot of what we thought were plays where he had the option to keep it were actually designed runs from the same formation also.

And if you were completely joking, forget everything I just typed, lol. :hi:

Full transcript

Butch Jones --- Tuesday, Sept. 23

Opening Statement
"I thought (it was) a very good start to the week with Tuesday's practice. Again, it's great to be in the flow of game (week), in our team meetings, speaking with our team. Again, what it takes to go on the road and win in the SEC in a hostile environment versus a very, very good football team and all the things that go into playing winning football. Out of our 70 that we'll take on the road to Georgia, only 11 have ever played in a game at Sanford Stadium. So, I'll do the math for you, that's about 16 percent. If my math skills serve me correctly. Never been a part of anything like that. But again, that's part of the growth and maturation of this football team as we continue to grow and develop."

On not committing many penalties through three games
"We spend a lot of time on that. Our plan to win is we can't beat ourselves, and it starts with penalties. The focus. We really, really stress what we call the mental penalties, and those are pre-snap penalties. Those are your focus, concentration, your overall discipline as a player controls. And our players, at this point and time, have done a very, very good job of that. Obviously we're going to be challenged with the noise and the crowd going on the road against Georgia Saturday."

On what they do in practice to work on avoiding penalties
"It's something that we call out, something we stress in every team meeting. Our officials that we have come work practice do a very good job. I get a penalty report after every practice. We review it as a staff to see if there is a pattern of behavior starting to develop. So again, we spend a lot of time talking about the overall discipline, the plan to win, being a team that doesn't beat itself by untimely penalties, costly turnovers, executing in the red zone, executing in the fied-position battle, all those things that it takes to win football games and championship."

On Justin Worley keeping the ball during zone-read plays, if he'd like to see more of it
"Yeah, we would. But what I'm going to do is I'm going to hold a free media clinic on the quarterback reads and pulls, because so many times to the observer out there, the naked eye, you think it's zone-read, and it's not zone-read. It may be a gap scheme, it may be a power scheme. And when you flat-hinge the backside, sometimes you don't ask the quarterback to read. Also a lot of times, when it looks like it should be a zone-read keep, really it's just a defensive end closing, making a great play. The decision, when the point and time comes, it's not there. There has been a few occasions where he can (keep the ball). We work exceptionally hard in the work week to get that corrected, actually teaching him how to get down and get 4 or 5 yards for us. So we would, but also there's some things we're not asking to read it as well. So it's a combination."

On the Georgia game last year
"I'm going to defer or go back to my first statement: 16 percent played in the game at Georgia. And I'm guessing, I'd would say probably about 30 percent played in the game here last year. Most of them were on their recruiting visit. I thought it was a step forward, but again, we came up short. At the end of the day, it's all about winning football games. But I thought it did help in our overall development because I thought our team showed some perseverance. I thought we battled adversity. I thought we made some critical plays, some fourth-and-1 plays late in the game to put us in the situation to win the football game. But again, this football team is brand new. Over half of it. Same thing with Georgia. You do rely on it, I think it does help our confidence. But there's a difference when you go on the road. They're a different football team as well."

On Todd Kelly Jr.
"It's been great for TK. And TK is an individual who has great pride in his performance. He's in doing extra film study. He knows when he makes the mistakes moving forward. And you'll see his playing time continue to increase. But we've been really pleased with the play of LaDarrell McNeil. He's really playing, performing at a high level for us now. What he's done two weeks ago and the previous weeks doesn't serve him moving forward to this week. Obviously we're going to be challenged with their stable of running backs and then the play-action pass, their skill out on the perimeter. But Brian Randolph has been consistent like he always has. TK has done a really good job for us. We're really pleased (with) where he's at, and we need him to continue to mature and grow and develop."

On Georgia's play-action scheme behind its run game
"It's there. It's the eye discipline we talk about, reading your keys and being able to play the ball in the air. They do a great job with the fade stop, the back-shoulder throws. Not only in the red zone but to the open field as well when you're in press-man coverage. So they do a lot of things that really challenge your discipline. We call that finding the blind spot for the corners, finding the ball with the back-shoulder throw and all those things. They're going to challenge us, and we know that."

On if he expected the worse after seeing Ethan Wolf's injury
"Anytime one of your players goes down, you're obviously very, very concerned. The way his reaction was, yeah. To his tribute, he's battled back. And Jason McVeigh has done a great job of getting him ready again as well. As we all know, the tight ends are active members of our offense. And we need to be able to go '12' personnel, '13' personnel and '22' personnel, things like that, in order for our offense to really play at a high level. Again, it's a tribute to him and Jason McVeigh and everyone involved."

On Cam Sutton's ability at corner allowing safeties to walk up and help stop the run
"Anytime you can have the luxury of playing man-to-man coverage, that helps your overall defense. It helps obviously being able to stop the run. But again, it puts them on islands as well. Your corners have to be the mentally toughest players on the field. Because everyone's coming after them on every single snap. So there's great skill-set that goes involved with that. To this point and time, Cam Sutton has done a tremendous job. He's really developed as one of our leaders on our football team. He has great consistency in performance each and everyday. Very pleased. But again, we're going to be challenged again this week."

On the statuses of Derrell Scott, Trevarris Saulsberry
"Derrell Scott had very, very good day of practice. We gave him a great volume of repetitions. His work capacity continues to grow. He brings another element, another point of depth at the running back position. So he'll make the trip and he'll be ready to go. Right now, if we were to make the trip to Athens, Saulsberry would be on the trip as well. So they continue to improve."

On Georgia's linebackers
"They're very dynamic. They can change the game in a hurry. They're great in pass drops as well, getting hits on the quarterback, impacting the quarterback. They play on special team. So again, that shows you their diversity, that shows you their athleticism. And they're very, very talented players."

On what Jalen Hurd can take away from watching Todd Gurley clips
"Just an overall toughness. Yards after contact. Durability. Being a complete running back."

On Jacob Gilliam jogging on the sideline under the supervision of a trainer during today's practice
"Jacob is an individual, as we all know, that's extremely competitive. This football team means everything to him. He'll continue to progress. He still has a dream in the back of his mind of playing. So we'll see how he progresses."

When does anyone think we will see Wharton? There was a lot of hype on him in practice before the season, but since he got dinged up, haven't heard anything on him or seen him in the game except for special teams possibly...?

When does anyone think we will see Wharton? There was a lot of hype on him in practice before the season, but since he got dinged up, haven't heard anything on him or seen him in the game except for special teams possibly...?

Had high hopes for his return game this season. I know it's early.

VN Store

Back