92 years ago....

YankeeVol

To some, war is hell. To us, it’s sanctuary.
92 years ago today, on Sept. 23, 1922, Tennessee's famous orange jerseys debuted in a 50-0 win over Emory & Henry.

10658964_705603589494945_3363979691122136967_o.jpg

Reactions: 19 people
Any particular reason orange was chosen? I know some teams have interesting history behind names/mascots/colors.

Reactions: 1 person
Tennessee would become synonymous with orange. Emory and Henry became synonymous with the screwiest formation in the history of football.

Any particular reason orange was chosen? I know some teams have interesting history behind names/mascots/colors.

Tennessee's orange and white colors were selected by Charles Moore, a member of the first football team in 1891. They were later approved by a student body vote.

The colors were those of the common American daisy which grew in profusion on The Hill, an area of campus surrounding Ayres Hall.

UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics - Fans

Reactions: 3 people
Tennessee's orange and white colors were selected by Charles Moore, a member of the first football team in 1891. They were later approved by a student body vote.

The colors were those of the common American daisy which grew in profusion on The Hill, an area of campus surrounding Ayres Hall.

That is the 'story' as told by the UT marketing dept. Another similar but much older version is when the team captain, (was it really Charles Moore of the first squad?) was asked by a sportswriter what the team colors were, he had no answer. Football was merely a club sport in those days, sort of like bass tournament fishing is now. Anyway, thinking on his feet, the good captain looked around and planted all around and in full autumn bloom were flower beds of orange and white mums; not the 'daisey's on a hill'. I suppose the daisey thing sounds a bit more romantic to a advertising and marketing type instead of it just being the flowers that happened to be in UT's flower beds and were in bloom.

Which is what? I don't know. I find the mums story, which was all I ever heard until recently, easier to believe. But, it's possible that was the 'made up' story until someone turned up daiseys doing research in the bowels of the old graduate library.

Either, or, tomato, tomahto.

The story goes that it was the color of the flowers growing on the hill on on campus.

Thanks, never knew that before. :hi:

That is the 'story' as told by the UT marketing dept. Another similar but much older version is when the team captain, (was it really Charles Moore of the first squad?) was asked by a sportswriter what the team colors were, he had no answer. Football was merely a club sport in those days, sort of like bass tournament fishing is now. Anyway, thinking on his feet, the good captain looked around and planted all around and in full autumn bloom were flower beds of orange and white mums; not the 'daisey's on a hill'. I suppose the daisey thing sounds a bit more romantic to a advertising and marketing type instead of it just being the flowers that happened to be in UT's flower beds and were in bloom.

Which is what? I don't know. I find the mums story, which was all I ever heard until recently, easier to believe. But, it's possible that was the 'made up' story until someone turned up daiseys doing research in the bowels of the old graduate library.

Either, or, tomato, tomahto.

Another legend says the flowers referenced were, in fact, red and white. However, he was colorblind so he went with what he 'saw'. TIFWIW.

Origins of SEC School Colors

Last edited:
It doesn't say anything about red or white. Just that he had been called colorblind.

Thanks God UK changed yellow to white. Yes, not a very unique color scheme, but at least we match. Yellow/Blue would be terrible.

Several years ago, the UT senior class's gift to the university was to plant those orange American dasies back on The Hill. I've never seen them....does anyone know if this was ever done?

PS: I've never heard the mum story before...

Last edited:

Orange colored daisies that grew in profusion on the hillsides around campus. This is what I read some time ago.

Is that the same Emory and Henry here in Emory VA ? lol
If so cool man! Go Wasps! Wonder if there are any pics?

Could you imagine the whining that would go on around here if UT played Emory & Henry now? Playing Emory is one thing. Playing Henry is another. But playing both at the same time! That's just not fair.

VN Store

Back