If Coaches had a black stripe....

Roustabout

Who would have theirs removed at this point?

After watching team 118 for three games it is evident that the defense is light years ahead of the offense. The defense faced and equally difficult challenge of replacing all starters on the front line. They did so, by converting an average end to tackle and starting a true freshman. (Similar issues to the offense.) They've also had Saulsbury injured as well as impact Freshman, Hendrix. (both back practicing now)The defense backfield is also excelling with former walk-ons in starting roles and key back-ups.
(Swafford and Williams)

So, why is the D so much further along? IMO, coaching.

This staff has had plenty of time to evaluate and know what they have and what they need. Despite signing 32 players, the team did not meet its needs for O-line. Not even close. If Franklin doesn't go to Penn State, Robertson is playing for Vandy. I remember hearing concerns about Blair during the recruiting process. Out of shape and will need time to play LT at this level.

So, the defensive staff has their black stripes removed.

Special teams?
Offense?

Bajakian seems to be in over his head and still coaching at a mid-major level. I'm not saying he can't adapt. He is a smart guy, no doubt. But there has been some suspect play calling. For a team with this WR talent to have yet to connect on a long ball or game changing explosive play is very concerning. And the schedule isn't getting any easier.

Reactions: 1 person

After watching team 118 for three games it is evident that the defense is light years ahead of the offense. The defense faced and equally difficult challenge of replacing all starters on the front line. They did so, by converting an average end to tackle and starting a true freshman. (Similar issues to the offense.) They've also had Saulsbury injured as well as impact Freshman, Hendrix. (both back practicing now)The defense backfield is also excelling with former walk-ons in starting roles and key back-ups.
(Swafford and Williams)

This staff has had plenty of time to evaluate and know what they have and what they need. Despite signing 32 players, the team did not meet its needs for O-line. Not even close. If Franklin doesn't go to Penn State, Robertson is playing for Vandy. I remember hearing concerns about Blair during the recruiting process. Out of shape and will need time to play LT at this level.

Special teams?
Offense?

Bajakian seems to be in over his head and still coaching at a mid-major level. I'm not saying he can't adapt. He is a smart guy, no doubt. But there has been some suspect play calling. For a team with this WR talent to have yet to connect on a long ball or game changing explosive play is very concerning. And the schedule isn't getting any easier.

Why the constant downplay of Jake? Every OC will have a couple suspect calls. Why is it Jakes playcalling that gets fingers pointed at when his OL can't execute a simple run and last year the QB couldn't execute a simple pass?
There's nothing wrong with Jake. Elder needs "fired" from ST for sure

Reactions: 5 people
If you dont have time for the WR's to get down field for the long ball, its hard to complete them. Its pretty simple. Go ahead and blame the OC for having 3 freshman playing on the oline and 2-3 back ups forced into starting roles. Thats smart. They recruited atheletes because they have the biggest impact on a team. In time you can bet they will recruit the players they need to play o-line. You do realize we can only recruit a certain number of players each year , right? Our cupboard was very thin when this staff arrived. They are fixing it little by little.

Reactions: 4 people
If you dont have time for the WR's to get down field for the long ball, its hard to complete them. Its pretty simple. Go ahead and blame the OC for having 3 freshman playing on the oline and 2-3 back ups forced into starting roles. Thats smart. They recruited atheletes because they have the biggest impact on a team. In time you can bet they will recruit the players they need to play o-line. You do realize we can only recruit a certain number of players each year , right? Our cupboard was very thin when this staff arrived. They are fixing it little by little.

After a near win against GA and a wib against SC and a valiant effort agaunst OU I don't see where he is "over his head".

Reactions: 2 people
Why the constant downplay of Jake? Every OC will have a couple suspect calls. Why is it Jakes playcalling that gets fingers pointed at when his OL can't execute a simple run and last year the QB couldn't execute a simple pass?
There's nothing wrong with Jake. Elder needs "fired" from ST for sure

No he doesn't. Elder's done a great job with the TEs. ST is a group effort. Elder holds the title but all of the coaches are involved in the matter. Our special teams last year about won us the UGA game. We aren't a threat right now in ST with Cam back there, but it'll change once these freshman grow up some. Just give it time.

Damn OP. Support your coaches. We finally have a good group in here that are working their tail off to fix the mess left by Drools and the baby and you are digging on them in their second year.

Let's push for some coaching consistency and continued great recruiting.

Reactions: 7 people

(Swafford and Williams)

Special teams?
Offense?

I think you have a black stripe for life

Reactions: 6 people
No he doesn't. Elder's done a great job with the TEs. ST is a group effort. Elder holds the title but all of the coaches are involved in the matter. Our special teams last year about won us the UGA game. We aren't a threat right now in ST with Cam back there, but it'll change once these freshman grow up some. Just give it time.

That was the point of the "" cuz I know he's theTE coach. It may be collective IDK but if he holds the title he needs his end kick every time Young brings it out of the endzone.

Another thread starter that is good for a laugh. Thanks.

It's always good to get the morning rolling with a good joke!

In all seriousness, it was a classic post by another VOL fan who just has no clue where we really are right now.

Coaches are doing quite well. Given the youth of the team they are over achieving. When you consider you have the right side of the O line all freshman with a freshman RB playing the number 4 team in the country on their turf with their senior laden team our team did very well.

None of our coaches would have a black stripe, IMO.

Because of Dooley and his recruiting. These coaches had to replace the entire O-line and D-line. Give them a chance to get their players in here. If you cant see we are on the way back to the top. Then you should go pull for Vandy. Then don't hurt yourself jumping back on the band wagon when we do get back to the top.

I too question play calling! When you are on the 2 yard line you don't throw in the middle of endzone with players stacked like cord wood. So you run the football or roll out and throw we all know that. So yes .. someone needs to have their hand called on this kind stupid arose play calling.

Our coaches are doing a great job.

They've played and coached most of their lives and they've proven themselves by being successful.

That's why they get paid good money to coach our footVol team.

That's also why our VN armchair coaches don't get paid to coach to coach college football.

buTch has only 1 of his recruiting classes on the team right now and his 2nd class is looking pretty damn good right now too.

I think I'll let him and his chosen staff get at least 4 recruiting classes on the field before I judge too critically.

We'll still be in rebuild mode for at least 2 more years.

#BrickbyBrick...VFL...GBO!!!

I will be the first to say I dont think our coaches are doing an excellent job. I think they are doing a very good job though. We all just need to realize our coaches will never be as smart as we are here on Volnation and it will make this much easier for all of us.

VN Store

Back