What is everybody's thoughts about our special teams?

BigOrangeTrain

Morior Invictus
Focusing on the kick returning. Since the first game it seems like our kick returning is pretty bad. I mean Vandy returned 2 for TDs today. It seems like we rarely win the position battle on special teams. So is it as bad as it looks?

I'd let Derek Barnett return kicks before I'd let Devrin Young return kicks.

That shat needs to stop. Young has been recruited over, thankfully. He needs to cheer from the sidelines.

Reactions: 1 person
Coverage teams are decent.

Between DY bringing kicks out of the endzone then tripping on grass and Sutton falling down every time he has fair caught a punt, I would say our return game sucks.

Reactions: 1 person

Between DY bringing kicks out of the endzone then tripping on grass and Sutton falling down every time he has fair caught a punt, I would say our return game sucks.

Kind of the way I am thinking. I mean almost every game I watched today, every team has decent to good return games. It got me thinking, when was the last time we even had a good return game?

Jones needs to bench young and let Pearson return kicks when he's healthy. This coaching staff is all about getting the ball to playmakers in space, usually there's a lot of space on a kick off. That guy doesn't get the ball near enough.

Focusing on the kick returning. Since the first game it seems like our kick returning is pretty bad. I mean Vandy returned 2 for TDs today. It seems like we rarely win the position battle on special teams. So is it as bad as it looks?

It's the 3rd phase of a 3 phase game. If Butch cares about that he'll make sure it get's better. In fact, that phase could win you a couple of games a year. I'm not on the Spurrier train thinking FG and ST dont matter. They do. They most certainly do.

KR has been terrible. I have been supportive of Devrin in the past, but he doesn't need to ever take a kick out of the endzone, period (and really no one should besides elite returners)

Punting was good until it was terrible. Matt Darr shouldn't have leg fatigue this early in the year.

Cam rarely, if ever has any option other than fair catch. The blocking on punt return is likely terrible. Either that, or we are intentionally just trying to field the punts and nothing more. That would at least clear up why the best player on the team is back there for punt return. Maybe he just has the best fielding skills and we don't intend to really let
him return any.

First off, the KO team should know it's anybody's ball. unlike punts , the ball is live, touched or not! :idea:

Elder should be kicked so hard in the end everytime Young brings it out of the endzone thhat Young feels it.

With Sutton back there the ball does not have a chance to roll another 10 to 20 yards like last year because he actually catches it. Definite improvement. DY looses like 10 yards on kick returns because he runs it out of the end zone instead of taking a knee.

For punts since we don't have a return (looks like we plan to fair catch) then we should try more for the block

On KR, even though it cost 10 yards every time I think the game plan was for Young to bring it out of the end zone in hopes for a big play --- if he could have broken one it might have been worth the poor starting field position from the others. What's 10 yards in the grand scheme compared to possibly breaking one

They're well below average and nowhere close to where they need to be if our team is gonna exceed expectations this year

I backed and defended him before, but I think it's time to pull DY and insert someone else. DY has speed, but he may not have the vision needed to return it effectively. If he hasn't gotten "IT", by now, he never will.

Maybe we see something next week that is a huge surprise....like someone else back there.

VN Store

Back