Advice For Athens

Orange And Garnet

I just purchased tickets to the Georgia game this week. It will be my first away game. I am taking my best friend, a georgia fan, it will be his first game in Athens. I have drug him to Neyland twice lol. But I was just wondering what to expect from Athens, where to park and things like that. Any tips are appreciated.

Get there as early as possible, like 6am, park in garage on Clayton and College.

Bring Jack and solo cups. Begin drinking.

Hit the Grill across Clayton to get you a good diner breakfast base.

As for bars, Nowhere Bar is a personal favorite dive. Wuxtry records is a good dig, and the Georgia Theater is fun if there is a good show that evening, but looks like they have a Beatles cover band next Saturday. Strolling downtown Athens from pub to pub works great, and offers stellar "scenery."

Be sure to visit the arch, and to smack the big UGA across the street right on the arse after we whoop dat azz!

Reactions: 9 people
I went in 2004. Don't remember any specifics as far as where to park and things like that. I do remember that for the most part their fans were pretty nice. It should be a pretty friendly environment for you.

Now if you're ever thinking of traveling to Baton Rogue my advice would be to sell your tickets and stay out of that entire God forsaken dump they call Louisiana.

Reactions: 5 people
Get into Athens early...('specially since Game time is 12noon)

Park wherever you can...

Be prepared to walk...

LOTs of good places for food & beverages downtown/near campus...

Dawg fans will be nervous of us this year...but confident since they are at home...

Cheer us on to victory...

No jaywalking. You can be drunk as s*** and the cops won't care, but if you jaywalk they'll get you.

I went in 2004. Don't remember any specifics as far as where to park and things like that. I do remember that for the most part their fans were pretty nice. It should be a pretty friendly environment for you.

Now if you're ever thinking of traveling to Baton Rogue my advice would be to sell your tickets and stay out of that entire God forsaken dump they call Louisiana.

Beg to differ! Trip to UT-LSU in Baton Rouge a few years ago was fun, though Vols lost. Made more friends with that Tiger fan base than any others. Had most puke-In-mouth moments with Georgia & vandie fans.:whistling:

Reactions: 1 person
I assume from the question about parking that you're not staying in Athens. I wouldn't drink a lot if I was planning to drive out of there. It may be late in the game but if you're coming from Atlanta I suggest looking for a shuttle such as Groome or a car service.

I assume from the question about parking that you're not staying in Athens. I wouldn't drink a lot if I was planning to drive out of there. It may be late in the game but if you're coming from Atlanta I suggest looking for a shuttle such as Groome or a car service.

I second this purely on the fact that I had a friend die from a drunk driver hitting her car in a head-on collision.

Don't let him scare you. Baton Rouge at night is about as good as college football gets. Most hospitable tailgates, IMHO

Actually, that was my experience also, but I haven't been there since 1981. You never know unless you go. :eek:k:

GO VOLS!

Reactions: 2 people

I second this. Groom shuttle is an excellent call as well if you are staying in Atlanta. Runs from Hartsfield to Athens on the half hour.

Apart from this, if you stop drinking in the third and put in a heavy dinner, hydrate, then walk it off, should be fine for a late night drive home

Last edited:
Don't let him scare you. Baton Rouge at night is about as good as college football gets. Most hospitable tailgates, IMHO

Not my experience -- drunken Cajuns getting in your face cussing and screaming.. AND we were 2 middle age couples with 2 jr high young ones in tow. BUT the New Orleans food was great b4 game day

Not my experience -- drunken Cajuns getting in your face cussing and screaming.. AND we were 2 middle age couples with 2 jr high young ones in tow. BUT the New Orleans food was great b4 game day

I went to the LSU game in 06 at Neyland and the fans I was around were rude even in Knoxville.

I just purchased tickets to the Georgia game this week. It will be my first away game. I am taking my best friend, a georgia fan, it will be his first game in Athens. I have drug him to Neyland twice lol. But I was just wondering what to expect from Athens, where to park and things like that. Any tips are appreciated.
thick skin

I second this. Groom shuttle is an excellent call as well if you are staying in Atlanta. Runs from Hartsfield to Athens on the half hour.

Apart from this, if you stop drinking in the third and put in a heavy dinner, hydrate, then walk it off, should be fine for a late night drive home

Only time mitigates alcohol blood levels, eating and walking it off won't help...

Takes between an hour to hour and half depending on weight for every drink for your body to process, and be under the legal limit

My car was trashed and dented up after we came out of there with a victory in the 90's. Only indicator that my car belonged to a UT fan was a State of Tennessee license plate.

VN Store

Back