Coach Jones has good record after bye weeks

skasper06

SIAP

I couldn't see it because I don't have a VIP account, but 247 Sports did an article on Butch always being tough after Bye weeks. Anyone with a membership care to tell us what the article says and if it tells us his record after byes?

SIAP

I couldn't see it because I don't have a VIP account, but 247 Sports did an article on Butch always being tough after Bye weeks. Anyone with a membership care to tell us what the article says and if it tells us his record after byes?

Well, he was 1-1 last season. A win over South Carolina and a loss to Vandy.

Reactions: 3 people
Vandy lost a lot more that game. I love the coach but there is no excuse for not closing them out last year. Just sayin

I don't blame his gameplan. He had the team in position to win.

He can't force Pig to not block in the back, or the Oline to get a push for one yard, or the defense to stop Vandy from converting on 4th down.

Reactions: 6 people
Vandy lost a lot more that game. I love the coach but there is no excuse for not closing them out last year. Just sayin

Vandy won 9 games last year, they beat a lot of teams.

Given we were on our 4th QB, had no one to throw to, and considering the number of walk ons we had playing he gets a pass from me.

Reactions: 9 people

He can't force Pig to not block in the back, or the Oline to get a push for one yard, or the defense to stop Vandy from converting on 4th down.

If he can't beat Vanderbilt straight up in a game where he started 13 4 star recruits, then he really doesn't deserve all the myriad of excuses you folks make for him.

Reactions: 1 person
If he can't beat Vanderbilt straight up in a game where he started 13 4 star recruits, then he really doesn't deserve all the myriad of excuses you folks make for him.

I agree that Tenn should have won that game and it was an ugly, boring crapfest....but how many 4 and 5 star players did Georgia start against Vandy in defeat last year? Even with all of their injuries, I'm sure it was more than 13.

Vandy won 9 games last year, they beat a lot of teams.

Given we were on our 4th QB, had no one to throw to, and considering the number of walk ons we had playing he gets a pass from me.

Didn't matter if we had NFL recievers on the feild he couldn't get the ball close enough to be caught.

I agree that Tenn should have won that game and it was an ugly, boring crapfest....but how many 4 and 5 star players did Georgia start against Vandy in defeat last year? Even with all of their injuries, I'm sure it was more than 13.

Yep, Franklin is a damn fine coach. You can tell because he gets the most out of his players while others make excuses.

Reactions: 4 people
SIAP

I can tell you that is 17-12 ATS after BYE weeks (58.62%), good for 31st best in the country, and 4th best in the SEC.

Interesting side note: Will Muschamp is 4-5 ATS after BYE weeks, ranked 83rd in the country and is third worst in the SEC. Only Sumlin and Mullen have a lower winning % after a BYE (ATS).

My reference (and a great short read by the way): View attachment The-Saturday-Edge-eBook-PDF.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I can tell you that is 17-12 ATS after BYE weeks (58.62%), good for 31st best in the country, and 4th best in the SEC.

Interesting side note: Will Muschamp is 4-5 ATS after BYE weeks, ranked 83rd in the country and is third worst in the SEC. Only Sumlin and Mullen have a lower winning % after a BYE (ATS).

My reference (and a great short read by the way): View attachment 83335

The author does not appear to precisely define his criteria; it says only that "Below is a complete list of each FBS coach and his record when he has had extra time to prepare for a game." That could include an additional day of preparation, a true bye week or time elapsed prior to a bowl game. Rifleman provided this data (http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/205574-butch-jones-record-10-days-off.html) on 10/16/2013, which was prior to the post-bye week games against South Carolina and Vanderbilt:

"Butch Jones record with 10+ days off: 11-4 Updated numbers to reflect USC win.

Folks. This is going to be a great game this weekend, but I have no doubt our guys will be ready.

Why? With 10+ days rest:

* Coach Jones' teams are 11-4, including bowl games.

* They have won 10 of the last 12.

* They have won 8 of the last 9.

* The last five victims are Va Tech, Vandy, Pitt, Louisville and South Carolina.

* The last loss came at West Virginia in 2010, a team that finished #22 in the BCS rankings.

* The loss at West Virginia is Butch's only loss with the full bye week, 14 days rest before a non-bowl game. Interestingly, WVU had 15 days rest before this one, having played on a Friday before a bye week.

* 3 of the 4 losses were by 3 points."

Unfortunately, Rifleman does not cite his source for this data; it may well reflect his own independent research. However, defined in this fashion, Butch's record with additional time to prepare is even more impressive.

Incidentally, am I correct to assume that, within this context, ATS means "against the spread"? If so, that isn't necessarily a true win-loss record but a record of how frequently they beat the spread in games played with additional preparation time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
The author does not appear to precisely define his criteria; it says only that "Below is a complete list of each FBS coach and his record when he has had extra time to prepare for a game." That could include an additional day of preparation, a true bye week or time elapsed prior to a bowl game. Rifleman provided this data (http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/205574-butch-jones-record-10-days-off.html) on 10/16/2013, which was prior to the post-bye week games against South Carolina and Vanderbilt:

"Butch Jones record with 10+ days off: 11-4 Updated numbers to reflect USC win.

Folks. This is going to be a great game this weekend, but I have no doubt our guys will be ready.

Why? With 10+ days rest:

* Coach Jones' teams are 11-4, including bowl games.

* They have won 10 of the last 12.

* They have won 8 of the last 9.

* The last five victims are Va Tech, Vandy, Pitt, Louisville and South Carolina.

* The last loss came at West Virginia in 2010, a team that finished #22 in the BCS rankings.

* The loss at West Virginia is Butch's only loss with the full bye week, 14 days rest before a non-bowl game. Interestingly, WVU had 15 days rest before this one, having played on a Friday before a bye week.

* 3 of the 4 losses were by 3 points."

Unfortunately, Rifleman does not cite his source for this data; it may well reflect his own independent research. However, defined in this fashion, Butch's record with additional time to prepare is even more impressive.

Incidentally, am I correct to assume that, within this context, ATS means "against the spread"? If so, that isn't necessarily a true win-loss record but a record of how frequently they beat the spread in games played with additional preparation time.

Good points. Yes "ATS" is 'against the spread.' At it's base that is a measure of performance versus Vegas expectations. That has value because it tends to account for games against lessor opponents. In other words, Butch's teams over perform compared to Vegas's educated expectations by about 60/40 when given "extra" time.

Extra time in this case likely includes bye weeks, season openers, and bowl games. At the time that article was printed that would be something like 7 openers, 14 bye weeks, and 3 bowls(off the top of my head). That is 24 games, if I'm right. Those numbers dont align with the 29 games the author shows, however. His numbers must include anything more than a standard week of prep, but I don't know for certain and I'm too tired to dig deeper.

Another interesting note from the author that illustrates another positive take away from last week's game. Bob Stoops, according to that pdf, is an aggressive coach who doesn't let off the gas. The author states something to the effect of "when playing in Norman, if you don't want to get the hell beat out of you, bring a better team." I feel like that is what Stoops wanted to do against UT but, despite his best efforts (and that of his team), he couldn't pull away the way he wanted, or would have if he could.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
Admittedly off topic, but cool and Vol related? non the less.

Top right corner of the site when I logged on "865 users online now!"

Jones' record after the bye has very little to do with this team, this year, and our next opponent.

Actually, all things are his job.

I've been very critical of the OC and thought he could have put the Vols in much better position against Oklahoma last Saturday.

The Vandie game was just pitiful. I don't think the coaches were to blame. It was the worst thing to witness. Game should have been put away with Dobbs late TD run that was called back by Pigs fantum penalty. The players just simply didn't make the plays they needed to.

Takes a while to change the mentality of a football team. Cant just snap your fingers.

VN Store

Back