Final Thought Oklahoma.

driscokid

As we all do as Vol fans I have been digesting the Oklahoma game all week looking to feel positive about the loss. The image that sticks in my mind is the hit Cameron put on the OK wide receiver in the fourth quarter. After being punished for practically 4 quarters Cam laid a vicious, legal hit and flat leveled the receiver almost knocking off his helmet. To me it was as if he was non-verbally saying we took your best shot, absorbed it and we have lots more in the tank. He was saying we may have lost this one but see you Knoxville next year because we will be ready and there is more to come. I like it and the image struck me as something I have not seen from the boys in quite some time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
IMHO, I was looking for the OK game to be somewhat of a litmus test on our Vols. Considering their ranking, tradition and playing at home, I thought it a good overall measuring stick for the '14 season and beyond.

1. Down by 24 points, the defense blocked a field goal in the last 5 min of the game. This is outstanding and strongly suggests our team will fight the full 60.

2. The hay-maker delivered by Sutton speaks volumes about our secondary

3. Despite seeing cross-eyed until probably Tuesday, Worley is one tough kid who can lead us to victory

4. Plays - just 2-3 different outcomes....that's right 2-3; the game was really that close. Play 1: Give us the fumble, Play 2: Ask Croom to fight a little harder for the ball = TD, Play 3: Take away the pick-6 by giving Worley more time in pocket. If these 3 go our way, we're in it until the last minutes on the road against the #4 ranked team in the country

If the Vols were stock, they would be a "strong buy" right now.

Reactions: 22 people
Your learning curve is in proportion to how difficult the road of experience you face...OU was a team of men and our VOL young men grew a great deal and never backed down. We are moving up. GO VOLS.

Reactions: 2 people
The OU fan base was very complimentary of our young team and to a person is generally worried about the game in Knoxville next year. One guy said we have a monster getting ready to rise up and that Coach Jones is the best thing to happen to us in 15 yrs.

Reactions: 5 people
ou was 3/12 on third down , 0/5 in the second half. The O needs to try a little harder. Having an offense to run would be a big help.

Reactions: 1 person
IMHO, I was looking for the OK game to be somewhat of a litmus test on our Vols. Considering their ranking, tradition and playing at home, I thought it a good overall measuring stick for the '14 season and beyond.

1. Down by 24 points, the defense blocked a field goal in the last 5 min of the game. This is outstanding and strongly suggests our team will fight the full 60.

2. The hay-maker delivered by Sutton speaks volumes about our secondary

3. Despite seeing cross-eyed until probably Tuesday, Worley is one tough kid who can lead us to victory

4. Plays - just 2-3 different outcomes....that's right 2-3; the game was really that close. Play 1: Give us the fumble, Play 2: Ask Croom to fight a little harder for the ball = TD, Play 3: Take away the pick-6 by giving Worley more time in pocket. If these 3 go our way, we're in it until the last minutes on the road against the #4 ranked team in the country

If the Vols were stock, they would be a "strong buy" right now.

We could also change 3 plays and lose 55-0...

On two plays, Cam chased down a receiver and prevented a touchdown. Both of these plays would have been long touchdowns against our 2012 and 2013 defenses. The first stop was essentially worth 4 points, since they eventually had to settle for a field goal.

Tennessee Volunteers vs. Oklahoma Sooners - Video - September 13, 2014 - ESPN

Edit: I can't link to the exact videos, but it's the ones titled "1st Quarter 1:49 - OKLA 3rd and 7 at OKLA 40" and "3rd Quarter 13:30 - OKLA 2nd and 7 at OKLA 48" in the playlist.

Last edited:
ou was 3/12 on third down , 0/5 in the second half. The O needs to try a little harder. Having an offense to run would be a big help.

If we can ever get both sides of the ball to be "on" at the same time. I remember during the previous regime we had an offense that sent nearly the whole O side of the ball to the NFL with Bray, CP, HUnter, D'rick, Rivera, Neal and the line but the defense sucked. Now it is just the reverse, the D is awesome and has 3-4 Sunday players on that side of the ball if not more. We just need the O to step up and become average to good and we can win some ball games.

As we all do as Vol fans I have been digesting the Oklahoma game all week looking to feel positive about the loss. The image that sticks in my mind is the hit Cameron put on the OK wide receiver in the fourth quarter. After being punished for practically 4 quarters Cam laid a vicious, legal hit and flat leveled the receiver almost knocking off his helmet. To me it was as if he was non-verbally saying we took your best shot, absorbed it and we have lots more in the tank. He was saying we may have lost this one but see you Knoxville next year because we will be ready and there is more to come. I like it and the image struck me as something I have not seen from the boys in quite some time.

Well, we haven't really seen that toughness around here since...Mr. Eric Berry? :blink:

GO VOLS!

Bajakian needs watch the barn's O vs. k-state tonight. Oops! Responded to myself and i'm sober. :snoring: :shakehead:

Last edited:

Change a few plays on the other side and UT coulda been down 40. Games always have plays that will make/break teams. It came down to the OL not giving Worely time all night which led to some bad throws and lots of pressure.

Change a few plays on the other side and UT coulda been down 40. Games always have plays that will make/break teams. It came down to the OL not giving Worely time all night which led to some bad throws and lots of pressure.

Right, Worley Bird was up against a jail break D all night and it will be like that 'til a run game materializes. The run plays look slow developing. :twocents:

Change one play and the 'cats and woulda beat the gators.

We could also change 3 plays and lose 55-0...

Which 3?

You just gonna add 3 pick sixes instead of our scores?

The 3 he mentioned at least had a chance of happening, the fumble is the one that definitely should've happened.

I agree none of it matters because what actually happened is all that matters, just helps put in perspective how close we were.

Which 3?

You just gonna add 3 pick sixes instead of our scores?

The 3 he mentioned at least had a chance of happening, the fumble is the one that definitely should've happened.

I agree none of it matters because what actually happened is all that matters, just helps put in perspective how close we were.

Did we score 3 times?

I just hope that our fans show them the kindness and respect that they showed us. Truly one of the best fan bases I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. And this was what we were surrounded by...

VOLS OU.jpg

For the first time in a really long time i can honestly say that we look like we are getting better. If this were the 2012 team the game would have been over in the 1st quarter. Im proud of my vols and the future is looking so bright I need shades.

Reactions: 2 people
That game for me epitomized leaving behind last year and the previous regime and embarking on the new era of winning football. During most of the 1st quarter I thought surely we'd have a worse loss than even OR. By the 3rd I though we might even eek out a win. Ultimately OK defense proved to be too much but the determination and fight to win is strong in this young Vol group. When the depth and experience matches it we will be very good. Add in serious ballers like Dormandy, Khalil, Tuttle and others and we will be a force in the SEC. OK game truly has me believing that.

We should bring a lot of confidence to the rest of the year, building what it takes to win in college elite.

VN Store

Back