How good is Georgia D-Line?

RoaminVol

Dat Ninja
Serious Question. How good are they compared to Oklahoma who pretty much sacked the QB every play? Can I get some significant stats? I'm a little worried about our O-line vs their D-line.

Reactions: 1 person
I'd imagine it is fairly similar. We more than likely see Worley running for his life the rest of the year other than Chattanooga.

Reactions: 2 people
Serious Question. How good are they compared to Oklahoma who pretty much sacked the QB every play? Can I get some significant stats? I'm a little worried about our O-line vs their D-line.

I am more worried about your inability to go to google and check their stats, don't become lazy!

Reactions: 5 people
They are not as good as Oklahoma scheme wise or talent wise. They aren't Vandy bad though. They will cause us problems especially with Floyd and #59.
If Worley gets enough time I like our chances passing. UGA is better than OU on defense in the LB core and personally only by a little due to the MLB (Wilson and Herrea).
I expect them to get 2-3 sacks against us due to our youth.
Edit: They actually have 0 sacks between true Dline men.( I count Floyd as a hybrid). Our OLine is very bad though

Last edited:
I'd imagine it is fairly similar. We more than likely see Worley running for his life the rest of the year other than Chattanooga.

The O-line might hold up against South Carolina. SC has had a very weak pass rush this year (in the post-Clowney era).

Honestly, it might even hold up against some of these other SEC teams. Oklahoma's defensive front is about as good as it gets. Don't know that Vandy, UK, or Mizzou will get into the backfield as easily.

UGA, Ole Miss, Bama, and Florida are the ones I worry about.

Ga doesn't have OK speed, but big and physical!! We should do some better against them. Our guys are strong we just lack technique needed at this point. I expect them to be better in GA. How much we'll find out in about 9 days!!

Its hard to say for me. I watched their game with south Carolina and they ran all over Georgia. They just didn't impress me. They may come out and have their way with us, but we have a shot I think.

Its hard to say for me. I watched their game with south Carolina and they ran all over Georgia. They just didn't impress me. They may come out and have their way with us, but we have a shot I think.
I agree, the USCe QB had >200 yds passing in the 1st half as he stood back and picked their secondary apart. Then USCe ran all over them the second half and only passed 4 times. Their DL is poor and entire D is even worse. Our OL may not be world beaters right now but UGAs D is in the same category. Clemson lost 80% of their offensive productivity to graduation & UGA couldn't get off the field against them in the 1st half, they're just a bad defense this year although last year they were nonexistent, air put up stouter resistance so they have improved.

To me the GA DL looked pretty good, but that secondary is wretched. If JW just gets a little time to set & throw, he can have a field day with those Vol receivers.

Not near as good but doesn't matter. Our OL needs a lot of work to avoid being flat out bad.

Floyd is unreal. He was a one man wrecking crew against Clemson the same way Striker was against us.

Was just about to post the same thing. He's a terror rushing the passer, very quick and athletic and they move him all over the place. He's one of those special players you have gameplan for IMHO.

South Carolina has possibly the best offensive line in the conference this year. Georgia's defensive line is good, but not on OU's level. Still, it will be another big challenge for our offensive line. If our line can just play decent, I think the game could go either way, but if we don't show much improvement on the offensive line from the OU game I don't like our chances. You got to have a competent offensive and defensive line if your going to win games in SEC play.

He wont last the year if that holds true.

My personal opinion is that he has no chance of surviving this season healthy if something doesn't drastically change. If against premiere SEC competition he just takes half the hits he did against OU then that is still way too many.

Don't know that Vandy, UK, or Mizzou will get into the backfield as easily.

Mizzou's 2 DEs are very good. I think better than the 2 they replaced from last season. I've watched some of all 3 of Mizzou's games, and those guys are living in the opponent's backfield. Granted they haven't played any SEC-claiber offenses to date, but then at this point, our young OL is not playing like an SEC-caliber OL. And I worry about any explosive DEs lining up opposite our true freshman and RS freshman at the OTs.

UK also has one very good DE, and a pretty decent DT. Plus they have that true freshman Elam, who is something like 6'7", 370 lbs. I saw him play some against UF, and while he doesn't get a heavy rush, he was nevertheless getting a push against the interior of UF's OL. And he eats up a lot of space.

Vandy's DL? meh. But then again, at this point I'm sure every other SEC team on our schedule is mehing our OL and licking their chops. These guys are going to have to develop rapidly if we want to bowl. That said, I have faith in them.

All I know is USCe ripped their secondary to shreds with WIDE open WRs/passes for the first three quarters.... the announcers were even commenting on how soft the coverage was. Hopefully that will not change with us and we will certainly take advantage of that since our WR corp is much better than SC's. The O line just needs to be enough of a disruption to give Worley time to throw it.

OK I did look it up. UGA isn't very big up front despite running a 3-4. Even their NT is under 300lbs. Their LB's though are huge. Interesting that 2013 2nd team all-SEC MLB Ramik Wilson is a backup this year. Our OL will be challenged, mainly from a speed standpoint as their size will not bother us that much. Don't forget we were much improved in the 2nd half OU game after the butterflies were punched out of the game and adjustments were made.

They have a good mix of experience and youth, and a few stars sprinkled in. OU front seven is definitely better than UGA's. Different scheme though, so we will be faced with an entirely different look. This will be a tough game and the battle in the trenches will be fun to watch.

DT - James DeLoach (6-3, 265, Jr.)
N - Mike Thornton (6-1, 290, Sr.)
DE - Sterling Bailey (6-3, 282, Jr.)

SAM - Leonard Floyd (6-4, 220, So.)
JACK - Jordan Jenkins (6-3, 246, Jr.)
MIKE - Tim Kimbrough (6-0, 228, So.)
WILL - Amarlo Herrera (6-2, 244, Sr.)

The O-line might hold up against South Carolina. SC has had a very weak pass rush this year (in the post-Clowney era).

Honestly, it might even hold up against some of these other SEC teams. Oklahoma's defensive front is about as good as it gets. Don't know that Vandy, UK, or Mizzou will get into the backfield as easily.

UGA, Ole Miss, Bama, and Florida are the ones I worry about.

SC has a really good replacement for Clowney that was giving UGA fits. I can't recall his name but I think it started with a B.

I'm afraid OU gave all our future opponents a blue print in how to beat us. Bring the house, and Worley can't have time to set up to pass. As much as we hated him, Kiffin kept DC's guessing with his play calling. We just didn't have the defense to hold off the other team. Especially against Alabama

VN Store

Back