Why must we run the jet sweep?

CarbonVol

Don't kill me but why do we run this play? I can remember once last year against Georgia it worked. Then it failed us in OT. We ain't fooling anyone when he goes in motion. I bet 98% of the time it's less than a 2 yard gain. Last week against Oklahoma the fake sweep got Jalen like 40 yards. But enough with the sweep.

Reactions: 3 people
To get in a obvious passing down.

Ain't that the truth. It reminds me of T. Pooles last season, or maybe the season before his last. Every time he would run he would make it to the like of scrimmage and fall down. Felt like a waste of a down, just like running the sweep.

Good question. A really good question. Every team in the SEC knows whats coming. They've got film, and study it. Eventually it might morph to a reliable formation to get positive yards. Hope how soon.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't have a problem with us running it, just create options with it. Pass from it, reverse it, option off it. Anything but just the end around!

Reactions: 3 people
I hate this play. Throw Pig the ball on a screen or in the flats or on a slant. Jus don't hand him the ball on that silly sweep.

Last week against Oklahoma the fake sweep got Jalen like 40 yards. But enough with the sweep.

I think you answered your own question. OC's run certain plays to set up other plays. The Hurd run now forces the defenses we play in the future to honor that and not sell out to the jet sweep.

Reactions: 7 people
Probably because other teams like Florida and Auburn have been doing it so well against us in recent years. If we weren't so obvious about it and mixed in a few misdirections to keep defenses honest I suspect it would work for us too.

I have found that the jet sweep is not nearly as effective when you're playing three true freshmen together on the right side of the line--
including one who's making his first start-- all against the number three team in the country. It was more effective last year when we had more mature linemen.

Reactions: 2 people
I have found that the jet sweep is not nearly as effective when you're playing three true freshmen together on the right side of the line--
including one who's making his first start-- all against the number three team in the country. It was more effective last year when we had more mature linemen.

Was never effective aside from one or two times. Last year pig got murdered every play

Nicely put.

I hate this play. Throw Pig the ball on a screen or in the flats or on a slant. Jus don't hand him the ball on that silly sweep.

Pig has an option to pass out of it...I thought he was going to last Saturday but OU blew it up so damn fast he kept trying to run with it.

Last edited:
Don't kill me but why do we run this play? I can remember once last year against Georgia it worked. Then it failed us in OT. We ain't fooling anyone when he goes in motion. I bet 98% of the time it's less than a 2 yard gain. Last week against Oklahoma the fake sweep got Jalen like 40 yards. But enough with the sweep.

Hopefully to set up a bigger play

THIS. THIS. THIS.

I've been thinking this for the last year. It works on the arkansas states of the world but when we use it against the big boys it's almost always negative yardage.

Pig has an option to pass out of it...I thought he was going last Saturday but OU blew it up so damn fast he kept trying to run with it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't we usually toss it to him?? Wouldn't that be considered a forward pass? Then he wouldn't be allowed to throw it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't we usually toss it to him?? Wouldn't that be considered a forward pass? Then he wouldn't be allowed to throw it.

It may have been a forward toss Saturday I am sorry...was a little drunk. He did kind of slow up if I remember when he hit the corner and I thought he was going to pass it. My bad my blunders if that was the case. But I remember hearing on the radio they had Pig passing it as an option.

I am not the world's biggest jet sweep fan but it's the go to offensive play whenever the coaches are most nervous about options because it has netted us a fair amount of yardage. When Wolf and Pearson and North were all playing and playing well you didn't see it as much. Same was true last season before more and more guys got banged up.

I don't remember it being that successful even then. Although I agree with you a more mature, experienced,& physically built in weight room line will succeed. Our team will get there. But our last group of offensive linemen were pass blockers. They were not good for any attack angle for run plays. That's the part I disagree with you on.

:hi:

VN Store

Back