We have a really good chance of upsetting Georgia.

JAllen18

VFL
1. Don't discount Butch Jones after a Bye Week.

Last year, our game after the bye week was South Carolina where Butch Jones got his much needed signature win. and in 2012 Cinncinatti the game after their bye week they Upset a ranked Virginia Tech at home in their stadium. 2011 Cincinatti upset Lousiville at home after their bye week against a ranked Lousiville team.

2. Noon Game

The away team has an advantage IMO.

3. Key Players return from Injury.

The biggest ones are Ethan Wolfe. Hopefully, Von will be ready to go as well.

The X Factor for this game is RB Derrell Scott. He is finally healthy and he gives this team another dimension at RB with his speed and he is a great change of pace back to spell Marlin Lane and Jalen Hurd.

4. Georgia's defensive woes.

Georgia has a suspect defense, especially at secondary. Clemson and South Carolina exposed them in the secondary, and with our talent at WR we should be able to have a field day with Marquez North and Pig Howard, and Josh Malone.

5. Offensive Line will improve.

We finally have a starting 5 that we are comfortable with. The bye week gives this unit more time to gel. In the second half of the Oklahoma game, the O-Line looked to settle down, and I think they will look much better against a lowly Georgia defense.

Reactions: 25 people
Nice work. Personally, I'd like to see Hurd get the start in this one. He's played better and it's obvious that the kid can pass block.

Go Vols!!

Nice work. I think the time of the game is of less importance than the media talking about how Mark Richt continues to lose games he shouldn't. So let's add:
6) Richt under fire

Reactions: 3 people
Nice work. I think the time of the game is of less importance than the media talking about how Mark Richt continues to lose games he shouldn't. So let's add:
6) Richt under fire

True but it seems that Richt is under fire at some point every season.

Reactions: 7 people
I can't agree enough with #5. My feeling is the boys on the O'line have now seen the best front 7 they're going to see all year long. They've experienced that level of play and personally understand what level they're expected to play up to. Hopefully it will not take 2 to 3 quarters to adjust the next time they encounter players of that caliber.

I am looking forward to seeing our skilled players match up with their secondary, but for us to test them in the secondary, the line has to give ol' Worley-bird some time.

I'm not sure if a noon game is an advantage for the away team, but I do believe it lessens the home field advantage for the home team.

Reactions: 2 people
I would love for you to be right but let's pump the brakes a bit here. We don't really have an advantage over Georgia anywhere but WR corp and even then we don't throw the deep ball so how much of an advantage is there to exploit? I get that we performed well for a young group in the OK game but then again they covered the spread on us and really the only thing that was vastly underestimated in my opinion was our d-line play (everything else was largely according to plan). If you attempt to critique UGAs performance against USCjr, what did you see that makes you think we will upset them?

Georgia's front 7 is no slouch, and if they have constant pressure on Worley, it somewhat negates our advantages against the secondary.

I'm not writing us off. But we have FAR from a "really good chance" of upsetting them. Especially on the road.

Reactions: 6 people
Georgia has always had a couple of games a season since Richt became HC when the team just doesn't show up for some reason. A noon game against a team you haven't lost to since 2009 (following a non-conference game with an opponent that is 0-3) could be one of those games for the Dawgs.

If this game was at home I might agree we have a good chance, but on the road I do not think so. True the OL played better in the second half but how much of that was because OU let up off the gas? Our D played lights out in the OU game but I still feel like we will have to outscore the dogs as I do not feel we can totally stop the run game.

Reactions: 1 person
SIAP but we also had a bye week to plan for the mighty Vandy and we couldn't beat them. This year we'll beat them by 100 and I can't wait!

good read. must say I agree with most. I would love to see Worley run the ball more. I honestly think he could run the first 3 plays for big yardage as the defense wouldnt believe he would run it again and again. ( the first run would be total shock,knowing he won't do it again ) :loco:

1. Don't discount Butch Jones after a Bye Week.

Last year, our game after the bye week was South Carolina where Butch Jones got his much needed signature win. and in 2012 Cinncinatti the game after their bye week they Upset a ranked Virginia Tech at home in their stadium. 2011 Cincinatti upset Lousiville at home after their bye week against a ranked Lousiville team.

2. Noon Game

The away team has an advantage IMO.

3. Key Players return from Injury.

The biggest ones are Ethan Wolfe. Hopefully, Von will be ready to go as well.

The X Factor for this game is RB Derrell Scott. He is finally healthy and he gives this team another dimension at RB with his speed and he is a great change of pace back to spell Marlin Lane and Jalen Hurd.

4. Georgia's defensive woes.

Georgia has a suspect defense, especially at secondary. Clemson and South Carolina exposed them in the secondary, and with our talent at WR we should be able to have a field day with Marquez North and Pig Howard, and Josh Malone.

5. Offensive Line will improve.

We finally have a starting 5 that we are comfortable with. The bye week gives this unit more time to gel. In the second half of the Oklahoma game, the O-Line looked to settle down, and I think they will look much better against a lowly Georgia defense.

I agree for the most part, but our o line won't change much in 2 weeks

the o-line will not improve. maybe by kentucky we'll see some improvement, but one game getting destroyed isn't going to turn them into a good line.

I would love for you to be right but let's pump the brakes a bit here. We don't really have an advantage over Georgia anywhere but WR corp and even then we don't throw the deep ball so how much of an advantage is there to exploit? I get that we performed well for a young group in the OK game but then again they covered the spread on us and really the only thing that was vastly underestimated in my opinion was our d-line play (everything else was largely according to plan). If you attempt to critique UGAs performance against USCjr, what did you see that makes you think we will upset them?

Coach Richt and the Dawgs aren't slouches at all,they are a very good team and the SEC speed will definitely be there

they will be pissed at losing to USC ,they are playing Troy this Saturday so that will be a tune up game for them

Coach Richt is like Coach Spurrier at USC,they both lay an egg each year and they have all ready done that,the Vols need to be ready for a storm ,

the o-line will not improve. maybe by kentucky we'll see some improvement, but one game getting destroyed isn't going to turn them into a good line.

Agreed. The improvement would have to be a quantum leap to feel more confident as we get into the SEC schedule. A somewhat better second half at OU is not that quantum leap.

VN Store

Back