Tennessee Volunteers Freshman Derek Barnett Working His Way Toward Greatness

WilliamDuVOL

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2200472-tennessee-volunteers-freshman-derek-barnett-working-his-way-toward-greatness#articles/2200472-tennessee-volunteers-freshman-derek-barnett-working-his-way-toward-greatness

I think this is a great write up about the kid. I expect great things from him. It's a lot longer article than the quote.

Making his second career start against the fourth-ranked Oklahoma Sooners, Barnett was dominant, blowing up plays in the backfield and containing OU quarterback Trevor Knight on the edge.

He finished with five tackles and a hurry despite being impeded much of the night.

Holding may be the only way to slow down Barnett.

UT head coach Butch Jones sang his freshman's praises all through fall practice, telling the Chattanooga Times Free Press' Patrick Brown that Barnett had a "tremendous camp" where he "upped everyone's level of play."

Even in a stout defensive end rotation that includes Curt Maggitt and Corey Vereen, among others, Barnett shines as the unit's best player. At times, coaches will put Maggitt back on the second level at linebacker to get their three-best speed-rushers on the field at the same time.

Barnett continually forces his coaches' hands when it comes to playing time and has ever since he arrived on campus this summer.

Reactions: 31 people
Everyone should calm down. On D, we're already seeing the effects of the talent upgrades. We will see it on O. When these young players begin to mature, UT will be just fine on both sides of the ball.

Reactions: 11 people
As I said in another thread, our O line will get better with each game and we will be running the ball on the reg by Ole Miss.... Barnett is fun to watch. I still think Hendrix will not be too far behind. Really nice to see young players killing it-- upgrade in talent. Next season we will have Mosley, KM, and possibly Tut, so along with our existing players, will be scary on D. Our LBs will be fine with the Law Firm continuing to grow there and our DBs will be powerful. The only position that will be interesting is Saftety SS.... Randolph is solid, McNeil is not progressing.... TK jr will have to step up and Cortez M will need to grow as well.

Reactions: 4 people
There was one play from the oklahoma game where Barnett quickly disengaged from the blocker and solo tackles knight at the line of scrimmage. When individuals on the defensive line can blow up plays by themselves, that's an amazing sign.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 people
There was one play from the oklahoma game where Barnett quickly disengaged from the blocker and solo tackles knight at the line of scrimmage. When individuals on the defensive line and blow up plays by themselves, that's an amazing sign.

I remember that. Thought it was a half a yard loss. Should've gotten credit for a sack.

Reactions: 2 people
TKjr is taking the spot. We just need to find a Randolph replacement for next year. Hate to lose AJ but Weatherd, Bates and company will have to cover the slack.

Reading the article on Barnett made me think about something I have not before. On offense the tackle is usually the largest of the players on the line. On defense the largest players are usually at tackle which lines up over the center or guard depending on the defense. Why is the largest offensive player (tackle) on the smaller DE and the larger DT over the smaller OG or center. It would seem like your offensive tackle would be smaller and faster to keep up with the DE and the center & guards would be bigger to match the DT. What am I missing?

Reading the article on Barnett made me think about something I have not before. On offense the tackle is usually the largest of the players on the line. On defense the largest players are usually at tackle which lines up over the center or guard depending on the defense. Why is the largest offensive player (tackle) on the smaller DE and the larger DT over the smaller OG or center. It would seem like your offensive tackle would be smaller and faster to keep up with the DE and the center & guards would be bigger to match the DT. What am I missing?

The idea is to fill the inside gaps to allow the ends and OLBs time to get to the RB. If you over power the guards and fill the A gap the RBs have to bounce outside where hopefully you have play makers out there to make the plays. If a RB gets inside on you then it's hard to contain because he can either plow straight through or cut toward the outside forcing S and CBs to make tackles.

Some defenses will keep the middle open and force MLBs up the A gap. They call these even fronts. There's a lot of other things you can do here as well such as a okie front where you leave the guards uncovered. Bama runs a 2 gap control 4-0-4 3-4 defense where each lineman has a 2 gap responsibility. A lot comes into factor here. Fun stuff IMO.

So, with that said, offenses go for more speed on the inside. This allows you to pull guards. You are pretty much going speed vs power on the inside, but you can compensate for that through certain blocking schemes. T are long armed usually and that makes it hard to go outside on, which is important when you are blocking a speed rusher. Defenses will scheme for this by stunting their SDE and SLB. You see this a lot in under fronts on defense or overloaded bear fronts on strong side.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Our defense will be a SEC top caliber Defense next year. If the Oline improves, our Offense will be as good as the QB that replaces Worley. With the way the coaches have developed players, QB play should be decent to good next year.

As I said in another thread, our O line will get better with each game and we will be running the ball on the reg by Ole Miss.... Barnett is fun to watch. I still think Hendrix will not be too far behind. Really nice to see young players killing it-- upgrade in talent. Next season we will have Mosley, KM, and possibly Tut, so along with our existing players, will be scary on D. Our LBs will be fine with the Law Firm continuing to grow there and our DBs will be powerful. The only position that will be interesting is Saftety SS.... Randolph is solid, McNeil is not progressing.... TK jr will have to step up and Cortez M will need to grow as well.

As much as I was critical of McNeil last season, he has played much better this year as TK continues to push him.

My only concern for next season is if Randolph declares for the draft early. Randolph and Von are the only two I think that will consider early NFL careers this season.

Reactions: 1 person
As much as I was critical of McNeil last season, he has played much better this year as TK continues to push him.

My only concern for next season is if Randolph declares for the draft early. Randolph and Von are the only two I think that will consider early NFL careers this season.

Agreed. Mcneil has a tendency to take bad angles and is a step slow for a starting SEC safety, but he has played much better this season so far. TK2 is the future at that spot, and maybe the present, but let's not pile on a guy who is still young and has made progress.

Agreed. Mcneil has a tendency to take bad angles and is a step slow for a starting SEC safety, but he has played much better this season so far. TK2 is the future at that spot, and maybe the present, but let's not pile on a guy who is still young and has made progress.

I hear ya. Wonder where Cortez ends up at UT? Could he slide into the nickel spot? Cherry will be coming in, but I have not heard a thing about Gavin Bryant or where Creamer will fit in? Come to think of it, haven't heard anything on Creamer? He is a physical specimen but I think I remember there being talk of a red shirt?

I've been on the Barnett train since before we started recruiting him. The kid is a special talent with a mentality that will make him great, along with others around him. Best pickup in the 2014 class without a doubt IMO.

I've been on the Barnett train since before we started recruiting him. The kid is a special talent with a mentality that will make him great, along with others around him. Best pickup in the 2014 class without a doubt IMO.
Me too. Watched him play since middle school. He has it...you know that football sense you can't teach. Going to be fun to watch.

Me too. Watched him play since middle school. He has it...you know that football sense you can't teach. Going to be fun to watch.

I actually coached Derek in travel baseball as a 10 yr old. Could play anywhere and did! Was a man amongst boys. Truly a special talent and a drive like no other. Really proud for the kid.

I actually coached Derek in travel baseball as a 10 yr old. Could play anywhere and did! Was a man amongst boys. Truly a special talent and a drive like no other. Really proud for the kid.

Well, I saw all of his high school games where I'm a reserved seat season ticket holder. I also tailgate very near the BA stadium and one time I patted his shoulder pad and told him good game on the field after he thrashed yet another opponent...and I swear he looked at me like he recognized me from somewhere, I'm sure of it. :pepper:

"Barnett continually forces his coaches' hands when it comes to playing time and has ever since he arrived on campus this summer."

gotta love that part of the article

I hear ya. Wonder where Cortez ends up at UT? Could he slide into the nickel spot? Cherry will be coming in, but I have not heard a thing about Gavin Bryant or where Creamer will fit in? Come to think of it, haven't heard anything on Creamer? He is a physical specimen but I think I remember there being talk of a red shirt?
The coaches mentioned a week or two ago that they moved McDowell to OLB a la JRM. who knows if he'll stick, but they must either feel good about Berry at safety or think McDowell fits better near the line of scrimmage.

Tennessee Volunteers Freshman Derek Barnett Working His Way Toward Greatness | Bleacher Report

I think this is a great write up about the kid. I expect great things from him. It's a lot longer article than the quote.

Anytime a FR can do that, you know he's pretty special. I hope he keeps everything in perspective and I pray that Butch knows where his bread is buttered and makes sure that the 'new' status quo continues when it comes to these recruiting classes.

He is a stud. He reminds me of the freshman Auburn played last year on the Defensive line-> Lawson. It's just their way of shedding blockers and making plays.

Really OT's are the most athletic of all OL positions. If you look at the NFL they are big but lean. Jake Matthews and Jake Long are good examples. They are put on a island and are not expected to need help blocking gifted pass rushers. That's why they make the big bucks.

He is a stud. He reminds me of the freshman Auburn played last year on the Defensive line-> Lawson. It's just their way of shedding blockers and making plays.

Thanks for the reminder of yet another defensive lineman that Auburn lured away from of.

Those dusty remote plains of east Alabama sure are appealing to defensive linemen that we recruit and/or have committed.

Thank God Barnett ended up with us.

VN Store

Back