We Need New Plays/Schemes

Dougie_D

I have a theory... and it goes like this.

When you succeed you don't want to change things you are doing. CBJ and Bajakian have had success where they have been. But when you do the same thing over and over, defensive minds will adapt to it eventually.

I'm not saying the system is flawed, I'm saying the system has run it's course and we need to try something new.

The first season at Central Michigan, they were rocking. New system, new everything. Defenses didn't really know what was up.

They get to Cincy and do the same thing and probably tweak some things in the playbook. They got better talent so things are running smooth.

Come to TN and the talent is off the charts but you have better opponents who will scheme better against you.

I don't know of any coach who has stuck with the same OC for more years than Butch has. I'm sure there are some, but I don't know of any personally.

Tons of tapes of games to look at. We can watch every game from Central Michigan, Cincy, to now and get a feel of what plays there are and the tendencies.

I hope I'm wrong and our OC has tweaked or changed plays every season but if not, I fear we have already become predictable.

You might not have to change staff, but changing philosophies might be needed in THE FUTURE.

Reactions: 2 people
I hope my sarcasm meter is just on the fritz because OP cannot be serious..Another instant gratification moment seen right here on VN

Reactions: 3 people
I do think Hurd would have more success in a down hill style running game. Like a pistol package, but I don't get paid to think up football plays and packages so carry on coaching staff and don't mind me.

Reactions: 1 person
This year, no OL. Next year, no QB. The year after that the offense may be clicking but it'll be a rebuilding year for the DL. We've been in this rut for 10 seasons. What we need is to hit the jackpot in recruiting at all positions of need for 2-3 classes in a row.

Reactions: 7 people
Pick about 20 plays and practice them until the execution is perfect. That should work just fine.

As Bruce Lee once said,(paraphrase)" I don't fear a man with a thousand moves, I fear a man with one move he has practiced a thousand times".:ninja:

Reactions: 5 people
Last year many complained about our defensive scheme and wanted the DC fired. Inject some better athletes and higher level of execution and those same schemes are working much better this year. Could it be that we are missing some pieces and not executing properly on offense just yet?

Reactions: 10 people
I have a theory... and it goes like this.

When you succeed you don't want to change things you are doing. CBJ and Bajakian have had success where they have been. But when you do the same thing over and over, defensive minds will adapt to it eventually.

I'm not saying the system is flawed, I'm saying the system has run it's course and we need to try something new.

The first season at Central Michigan, they were rocking. New system, new everything. Defenses didn't really know what was up.

They get to Cincy and do the same thing and probably tweak some things in the playbook. They got better talent so things are running smooth.

Come to TN and the talent is off the charts but you have better opponents who will scheme better against you.

I don't know of any coach who has stuck with the same OC for more years than Butch has. I'm sure there are some, but I don't know of any personally.

Tons of tapes of games to look at. We can watch every game from Central Michigan, Cincy, to now and get a feel of what plays there are and the tendencies.

I hope I'm wrong and our OC has tweaked or changed plays every season but if not, I fear we have already become predictable.

You might not have to change staff, but changing philosophies might be needed in THE FUTURE.

wow..what insight

What we really need are more fans that think they know more about football than our coaches who are being paid 6 & 7 figure salaries to coach it; that would be just swell.

Reactions: 11 people
It blows my mind how people can love a sport so much but know so relatively little about how it works.

Reactions: 26 people
It's not the plays and schemes, it's the execution. Go back and watch Nebraska in the 1990's. They ran about 5 plays.

Reactions: 2 people
Like I said in another thread, there's nothing like a good beat down to bring out all the experts we are so privileged to have here on Volnation.

Reactions: 5 people
Like I said in another thread, there's nothing like a good beat down to bring out all the experts we are so privileged to have here on Volnation.

Yep. Oklahoma is going to be giving ammo to a lot of amateur OCs this season.

Reactions: 3 people
This year, no OL. Next year, no QB. The year after that the offense may be clicking but it'll be a rebuilding year for the DL. We've been in this rut for 10 seasons. What we need is to hit the jackpot in recruiting at all positions of need for 2-3 classes in a row.

DL shouldn't be rebuilding in 2 years assuming that the 5 star DTs (McKenzie & Tuttle) and 4 star DT (Picou) are who everyone thinks they are. Those guys will be in their prime along with some of the young studs we have now who will be upperclassmen.

The biggest concern going forward IMHO, as you touched on earlier, is who is the QB starting next year and going forward.

Last edited:
Pick about 20 plays and practice them until the execution is perfect. That should work just fine.

As Bruce Lee once said,(paraphrase)" I don't fear a man with a thousand moves, I fear a man with one move he has practiced a thousand times".:ninja:

What auburn and Oregon does... I know we run a power spread and don't run the same offense ( for the guys who say it all the time) we run a west coast passing scheme that will obliterate the defense cause our runback has so many different running lanes that it freezes the whole defense cause they don't know which way he will go (for the English Nazi on here) and once we get an o-line it will be perfect. Fwig...

Love how people think a new offense can be installed in a week.

This! I mean my gosh you can just install a brand new offense in a bye week haha. Plays are constantly added throughout the year, but it is just small tweaks and additions off of plays you already have. There is a reason coaching stability is a good thing. One of those is not having to learn a new scheme every year!

this is the problem and it won't be easy a easy fix

CBJ and company will need several years to be able to get all the experience and depth clicking at the same time

along with great recruiting classes,how many years will it be ? 2 highly doubtful ,so 3 or 4 more years from the end of this season ? most likely

i did think it was a 5 to 6 year rebuild job when CBJ took the job,nothing has happened to change that

and hopefully he can keep his coordinators for several seasons too ,the consistency is highly needed and as the Vols improve , more schools will be trying to get Bajakian and Jancek

from the hard job of a armchair coach :)

and yes I know what opinions are like

VN Store

Back