Tennessee vs Oklahoma: Offense play by play (video)

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0IVTY6Xb6g[/youtube]

(as always, video will improve and give you the option for as high as 1080p shortly after the video has fully processed)

Previous Threads

Oklahoma
-Offensive breakdown
http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/224689-offensive-breakdown-oklahoma-game.html

Arkansas State
-Offensive & Defense play by play
http://www.volnation.com/forum/tenn...nessee-vs-arkansas-state-offense-defense.html
-Offensive Breakdown:
http://www.volnation.com/forum/tenn...23928-offensive-breakdown-arkansas-state.html

Utah State
- Offensive Breakdown: http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/223275-offensive-breakdown-utah-state.html
- Offense: http://www.volnation.com/forum/tenn...439-tennessee-vs-utah-state-offense-play.html
- Defense: http://www.volnation.com/forum/tenn...580-tennessee-vs-utah-state-defense-play.html

Reactions: 4 people
Watching play by play makes me feel even worse for Worley. He never had a chance but still performed very well.

I know this is going to be hard to watch, but I'm sure it's very telling where we did good or struggled. Thanks Freak.

Re-watching this it really makes think 2 things.

1. With a half decent O-Line UT could have been in the game. Worely was doing a very good job.

2. Hurd and North are some beasts. Better than I thought they would do against OU.

The OL should have to stand up in front of the team and apologize to Worley.

Reactions: 1 person
I have watched this twice and I first want to say, people need to stop saying Worley needs to run the ball. As someone who coached on a High School staff that ran triple option I can say Worley made one questionable read. Because of Worley making the correct read almost every option play had a hat on hat, which is what you are looking for. We had the correct numbers, but our o-line just lost one on one battles, which created no running lanes. The other thing I noticed is the possibilities that are there for the taking if Worley is given a run pass option off of these read plays. We are seeing that with the other college teams as well as the Philadelphia Eagles and the S.F. 49rs. There were multiple times that Worley could have pulled the read and hit a WR with blocking in front. I do not know if this is going to be the progression of the offense but it was there for the taking verses Oklahoma. After watching this film I have way more confidence in the offensive scheme but a little nervous with the lack of ability of the o-line to win one on one battles in the run game. This will come with time and experience, but if we can’t start winning some of these battles it’s going to be tough

anyone else realize they call every reciever north? I suppose pig is number 2 kinda could like like an 8 as well as 3 for malone then croom is 18.

That was one physical football game. Good to see Worley show that much character. He took too many hits and still kept getting up.

Anyone else notice that DB was already in front of Hurd when he took off for the sideline and he just angled toward him. Yeah man what a shame Hurd is slow. /blue font

Noticed Worley had a receiver wide open on the goal line over the middle when he threw the pick six. Wish he could've seen him. We certainly had some chances but it was just unreal how many plays in a row MANY of our O linemen whiffed their blocks, not just Thomas. Boy I hope they get that fixed in a hurry. One play you had Downs lined up next to Thomas and didn't stay in to help. Downs just went out a step and blocked air, no one there! Then realized Thomas got schooled and made a half effort to come back and help.

Noticed Worley had a receiver wide open on the goal line over the middle when he threw the pick six. Wish he could've seen him. We certainly had some chances but it was just unreal how many plays in a row MANY of our O linemen whiffed their blocks, not just Thomas. Boy I hope they get that fixed in a hurry. One play you had Downs lined up next to Thomas and didn't stay in to help. Downs just went out a step and blocked air, no one there! Then realized Thomas got schooled and made a half effort to come back and help.

Yes, that is why I try not to get upset about the play call in that situation. We had a wide open guy on a slant on the goal line and Worley choose the stick route. My guess is Worley was supposed to read outside in and never saw the middle backer. If he sees the middle backer he would have known to throw the slant. Yes, we could have run the ball but that was no guarantee success. The coaches called a play that had someone open, sometimes the players don't make the plays it's happened before and will happen again.

Our OL got whipped in the first half, but did anyone else noticed they played much better in the second half? They still gave up a few plays but they weren't on the their heels nearly as much, they even got a few pancakes.

Reactions: 2 people
Thanks for this (these) Freak!

Since I attended the game, this is my first time watching these plays back.

1) Worley go murdered multiple times yet played his heart out. HUGE guts.

2) I WISH we had that many "North"s in our receiving Corp. He is a BEAST and will win us (meaningful) games this year. Fowler is a heel!

3) Hurd is more than Special and is already showing it

4) Can't wait t be in Athens to watch something special!

Re-watching that, I'm even more impressed with Oklahoma's defense. They are very well coached and made almost all of their tackles. It was pretty rare to see a UT guy escape or get past the first tackle. I'd like to say we won't see a defense that good the rest of the year, but I'm not so sure, as Florida, Ole Miss, and Bama could be similar.

Our O-line did seem to get better in run-blocking in the second half. That's an area we desperately need to improve upon. Otherwise, we're going to remain a one-dimensional short-passing team.

I'm not down at all after this game. We were overmatched and still hung tough. The game was one bad interception away from being a 10-point game, and a bad interception and a bad fumble review from being a 3-point game.

Would love to see the defense play-by-play, as well. We definitely gambled a lot on defense, but it worked most of the time. However, I do recall us getting burned a time or two.

Hey guys, I'm too new to start my own post, but I wanted to say how impressive you guys looked Saturday. I've said the same thing in another thread, but after watching the KSU/Auburn game tonight, I really think you guys looked much better than the Tigers. I know you don't play them this year, but given the talent you have, I expect the Vols to make some waves in the SEC.

Looks like you have a week off before playing Georgia, but I'll definitely keep an eye on that game. You nearly beat them last year, and you're a much better team this year...A UT win wouldn't surprise me at all.

Anyway, I hope all the Vol fans that made the trip enjoyed themselves (as much as you could). I'm already planning the return trip to Knoxville next year for what I expect to be a top 25 match up.

Reactions: 5 people
I think what impressed me the most rewatching this is Hurd's pass blocking. There was one play where it seemed he stole a block on a DE or OLB from Thomas. On one of Worley's deep throws he pancakes a LB.

He really is showing that he can be a complete back. After paying attention to his pass blocking, I get why he has been on the field more than Lane the past two games.

I agree that the O line got man whipped but on the bright side we won't see a front 7 like that again all year

Lolz. Yes we will. OU are not the world beaters we made them out to be...I'll be surprised if worley isn't injured within the next month.

bama's defense will be as good as oklahoma's, or very close to it. florida will be pretty stout too.

Plenty of plays there where a QB with wheels could have produced something big. On the bright side, the D held OU to zero second half points..right?

VN Store

Back