Positive Takeaways from the Oklahoma Game (in no particular order):

Volosaurus rex

Doctorate in Volology
(1) Justin Worley’s toughness. There are no redeeming benefits associated with watching your starting quarterback be pummeled from pillar to post, but one can rest assured that Justin emerged from this game with a large measure of additional respect from his coaches and teammates for the toughness that he exhibited Saturday.

(2) “Splash” plays. Going into the season, Butch made it a point of emphasis to increase the number of “splash” plays, ones that consume large chunks of yardage. Although they ultimately resulted in only seven points, Tennessee achieved four against a defensive front seven that was clearly one of the best in the country: 43- and 29-yard runs by Jalen Hurd and 43- and 30-yard pass completions to Josh Smith and Jalen Hurd, respectively.

(3) Despite their youth and inexperience, Tennessee’s defense held a legitimate top-5 opponent to 27 offensive points on their field. Although this was a credible achievement in its own right, our defense actually improved as the game wore on. After surrendering thirteen points on three consecutive scoring drives in the first quarter and roughly 300 yards total offense in the first half, our defense held the Sooners to only 151 yards and seven offensive points on 30 plays in the second half.

(4) Relative success in containing Oklahoma’s ground game. Despite being outweighed by almost 50 pounds per man by Oklahoma’s experienced and senior-laden offensive line, our defensive line did a credible job of containing Oklahoma’s running game, which amassed only 146 yards on 34 carries. As commentators observed, this required “selling out” by stuffing the box and putting our cornerbacks on an island.

(5) 3rd down conversion defense. Oklahoma finished only 3-12 on third down conversions and did not successfully convert a third down in the second half. Thus far, we are allowing opponents to successfully convert only 23% of third downs.

(6) “No retreat, no surrender” attitude. In recent years, how many times have we seen Tennessee surrender a backbreaking score, comparable to Oklahoma’s 100-yard interception return for a touchdown early in the fourth quarter, only to wilt and then give up points in bunches thereafter? This team responded with fortitude and resolve not displayed by its predecessors.

(7) Surprisingly improved success running the ball later in the game. Our offensive line was absolutely dominated for most of the first three quarters and our running game amassed -11 yards on our first 19 rushing attempts. However, in the last 16:16 of action, we ran the ball 14 times for 123 yards. See Tennessee Volunteers vs. Oklahoma Sooners - Play By Play - September 13, 2014 - ESPN.

(8) Jalen Hurd. ‘tis no great surprise but Jalen is truly coming into his own: 97 yards rushing on 14 carries against a very stout Oklahoma front seven, including runs of 43 and 29 yards, as well as a 30-yard pass reception.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18 people
This was not a moral victory in any way, we are past those. But I agree with the positive takeaways.

After the first half it didn't matter what else happened I am a Worley believer. He may not be the most talented but he is the right leader for this team. And he made some incredible passes in the 2nd half despite getting blasted all game. Now if Croom could only catch a few more of those passes.

I was very encouraged by our defense overall. I thought the offensive line grew up some in the 2nd half which will benefit us down the road.

I see an upset or two coming this year from this team. We may not be back on top but we are closer than we have been in almost a decade in my opinion.

I like being on the way up compared to stagnant or falling. Keep it up CBJ

Reactions: 2 people
(7) Surprisingly improved success running the ball later in the game. Our offensive line was absolutely dominated for most of the first three quarters and our running game amassed -11 yards on our first 19 rushing attempts. However, in the last 16:16 of action, we ran the ball 14 times for 123 yards. See Tennessee Volunteers vs. Oklahoma Sooners - Play By Play - September 13, 2014 - ESPN.

Amazing to think UT was running "money in the bank" plays against OU and it began to pay off in the 2nd half with that young and thin O-line.

It gives me hope for the rest of the season and might have shown other teams a weakness in the OU D-line.

Reactions: 3 people
To your point #3, we held them to 27 points when we all know they were trying to "hang 100" on us, as was widely reported. To me, that was the big deal about our defensive performance. This was a statement game for Stoops to show off against the SEC and instead their fans probably feel like we did against Arky St.

Great points OP...Guys, this is year two! The growth from last year to this season is amazing. They are playing hard and as a team for 60 minutes. We are seeing player development from week to week. You also see true leadership on this team on both sides of the ball which is something we haven't had in awhile. I'm excited we have a real coach who is implementing a plan/system. The future looks bright gents! Go Vols

Hurry up bye week

(1) Justin Worley’s toughness. There are no redeeming benefits associated with watching your starting quarterback be pummeled from pillar to post, but one can rest assured that Justin emerged from this game with a large measure of additional respect from his coaches and teammates for the toughness that he exhibited Saturday.

(2) “Splash” plays. Going into the season, Butch made it a point of emphasis to increase the number of “splash” plays, ones that consume large chunks of yardage. Although they ultimately resulted in only seven points, Tennessee achieved four against a defensive front seven that was clearly one of the best in the country: 43- and 29-yard runs by Jalen Hurd and 43- and 30-yard pass completions to Josh Smith and Jalen Hurd, respectively.

(3) Despite their youth and inexperience, Tennessee’s defense held a legitimate top-5 opponent to 27 offensive points on their field. Although this was a credible achievement in its own right, our defense actually improved as the game wore on. After surrendering thirteen points on three consecutive scoring drives in the first quarter and roughly 300 yards total offense in the first half, our defense held the Sooners to only 151 yards and seven offensive points on 30 plays in the second half.

(4) Relative success in containing Oklahoma’s ground game. Despite being outweighed by almost 50 pounds per man by Oklahoma’s experienced and senior-laden offensive line, our defensive line did a credible job of containing Oklahoma’s running game, which amassed only 146 yards on 34 carries. As commentators observed, this required “selling out” by stuffing the box and putting our cornerbacks on an island.

(5) 3rd down conversion defense. Oklahoma finished only 3-12 on third down conversions and did not successfully convert a third down in the second half. Thus far, we are allowing opponents to successfully convert only 23% of third downs.

(6) “No retreat, no surrender” attitude. In recent years, how many times have we seen Tennessee surrender a backbreaking score, comparable to Oklahoma’s 100-yard interception return for a touchdown early in the fourth quarter, only to wilt and then give up points in bunches thereafter? This team responded with fortitude and resolve not displayed by its predecessors.

(8) Jalen Hurd. ‘tis no great surprise but Jalen is truly coming into his own: 97 yards rushing on 14 carries against a very stout Oklahoma front seven, including runs of 43 and 29 yards, as well as a 30-yard pass reception.

Great points.

Conditioning should be mentioned as well, these Vols are not sucking wind in the 4th quarter. Hats off to our strength and conditioning coach and the whole staff. We are heading in the right direction, finally.

Reactions: 5 people
I thought Worley carried the team on his back right up to the pick 6. He forced the ball to the playmakers with no blocking time and time again. The receivers weren't catching anything less than on target. It may be the best defensive front they face this season. Wish Worley had another year after watching that game.

We are not that far off! Take the turnovers away and we are in this game in the 4th quarter.

Injuries also played a role.....We will get one or two we shouldn't before this year is over! Jmo

here's my takeaway:

there were 3 plays that made the entire difference in the game and I think they tell us a lot about Tennessee football and the state of the vols.

1) Jason Croom's drop in the endzone that lead to an INT
--not sure what's up. with Croom but he's just not clutch at all. He's probably my last pick for who I go to if we need to make a play. Sorry. He's had plenty of chances and 3 drops is just too many in a game where Worley had about 2 seconds to throw before getting wrecked over and over and over. Drops are inexcusable when your QB is fighting like that. Bottom line.

2) Worley throwing an INT in the endzone the second time
--whether it was play calling, a mental mistake, or just fear of 3 250 lb DL coming at him, I don't blame him for this one. I do still question offensive play calling and have since day 1 with CBJ's crew. mental mistakes will happen if you're getting busted every single play. here, even though they had little to do with the issues of the actual play, the OLine really limited playcalling and limited Worley's time to make decisions. I know everyone is talking about the OLine's youth but it doesn't take a genius to go back and look at #55 just standing there staring blankly at the DL coming at him. might has well have had no OL out there. That's not youth, that's being soft. See Jason Croom if you think age improves softness.

3) busted coverage first Oklahoma touchdown
--that is definitely youth. will get better.

Basically those three plays made the difference in score between a bunch of freshman and a veteran highly ranked team. If you look at that objectively, you've got to see that the future is bright for tennessee. not some far off future but the very near future. thats what 1-2 min of total game time play? if we can be consistent for just 1-2 more minutes, we'd have been in it or beaten one of the best, most veteran groups in the country.

I truly think we are going to beat Georgia if we can get healthy/use the bye week properly and I don't think there's any question we beat Florida. And the sky is the limit for next year.

Great points OP...Guys, this is year two! The growth from last year to this season is amazing. They are playing hard and as a team for 60 minutes. We are seeing player development from week to week. You also see true leadership on this team on both sides of the ball which is something we haven't had in awhile. I'm excited we have a real coach who is implementing a plan/system. The future looks bright gents! Go Vols

Hurry up bye week

Brent Hubbs (https://tennessee.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1681613) made an interesting point concerning progress from last year to this year, specifically with respect to our performance against teams ranked in the top five when we played them. "In 2013, the Vols played two top five teams on the road in Oregon and Alabama. In those two games, Tennessee was out scored 104-24 (73-7 in the first half). They were outgained 1,166 yards to 638. And more importantly at no stretch of either game last year did the Vols outplay their opponent."

By contrast, for one all-too-brief portion of Saturday's game, "Tennessee was playing the best football of the two teams on the field in Norman, Okla. In a 10-minute span from middle of the third quarter to middle of the fourth quarter, the Vols ran 18 plays for 118 yards and had three points. The Sooners had run six plays that totaled four yards. Tennessee was poised [to score again] when Justin Worley's pass was intercepted and returned for a touchdown."

Hubbs concluded that, although the final score obviously wasn't satisfying from our perspective, there was clear, incontrovertible evidence of progress. At this point in time, a "victory for Jones and his program is progress. Saturday night, Tennessee for a stretch showed it certainly belonged. The Vols competed for 60 minutes but for 10 of those 60 minutes, you can make a case that Tennessee was the better team. They were certainly the more productive. The challenge starting this week is to extend that 10 minutes. It's to improve at all positions." Although we have heard references to this Sabanism ad nauseum, continued adherence to the "process" will eventually result not only in victories but victories against top-tier opponents.

Reactions: 1 person
Another couple of positive takeaways from our defensive performance against Oklahoma:

The third down conversion success of Oklahoma (3-12) was the "lowest third down conversion percentage for a Sooner team at home since going 4-for-17 (.236) against Oklahoma State in 2009. . . . Oklahoma entered [the game] averaging 222 rushing yards over its first two games. Against the Volunteers, OU ran for 146 yards, the lowest total for the Sooners at home in nearly two years" (Third Act A Success - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics).

VN Store

Back