Perfect storm for Butch's first upset of the season?

Volteacher

I am a realist/negative when it comes to my Vols chances against a team that has a better record or is favored by more than a 7.5 points. I know that we will (at least next year) be a 8-4 or 9-3 team and have ALOT of issues to work on mostly the horrid/young OL.

HOWEVER...... I think that we have a really good chance of winning against UGA in a couple of weeks.

1) Our young team knows what to expect going into a hostile environment AND it is at noon (which is tougher to get up for sometimes, especially by the favored team).

2) Oklahoma is better team with better or equal talent to UGA. So they SHOULD be used to speed from WR's and LB's etc....

3) Tennessee will be coming off a bye week and Butch has usually been more prepared for the team coming up and a chance for them to get healthy i.e....Smith and Von and Wolfe.

4) Getting beat is NEVER a good thing, BUT it does have some positives.... Worley and the OL getting beat at the line of scrimmage EVERY play and STILL putting up a fight to #4 team during the end of the game.

5) AWESOME defense with the #3 ranked 3rd down conversion rate at like 37% JRM, A.J. and Maggitt playing crazy and a VERY underrated DL.

I could be completely wrong...........

Reactions: 7 people
I think our odds of any upset are directly related to how many or few of our currently injured offensive weapons can play by then. I'd give it a 15% increase with each guy. Odds are stacked against us if none of these guys are available.

Von
Wolf
Smith

Reactions: 1 person
I think our odds of any upset are directly related to how many or few of our currently injured offensive weapons can play by then. I'd give it a 15% increase with each guy. Odds are stacked against us if none of these guys are available.

Von
Wolf
Smith

Agree I think we need either Von or Smith CANNOT have both out and we need Wolf back too.

Also all Tennessee will be hearing for 2 weeks is that we are a underdog and how bad we performed and yada yada yada, just like the Utah St gaming theeam will be REALLY ready to hit someone after 2 weeks off. ALA...just like UGA heard how good they were for TWO WEEKS and then got to USC and lost.

UGA has a history of doing less with more. After the USC/UGA and UF/UK games last Saturday, it's hard to count anyone out in the East (except Vandy).

Reactions: 4 people
I will agree with you-- but this is not only going to depend on our guys, but the coaching staff and what they do the next two weeks. I am still not sold at all on the OC.....
Our guys will definitely have the self confidence and swagger knowing they can do it and after watching our game and the SC GA game, GA's O and D lines are not as good as OK. They played way too soft on SC WRs the entire game and gave up huge wide open passes/yards. I think if we concentrate this week on our O line, getting healthy, and not running slow developing sweeps-- more quick slants to help Worley, we may just scare the crap out of the dawgs...

Von
Wolf
Smith

If memory serves me correctly, Wolf traveled for the Oklahoma game. They said that he would play only in an emergency situation, but that suggests to me that chances of having him back for Georgia should be pretty good.

Reactions: 2 people
Agreed with bye week. Last year we came up short against UGA. We corrected it and came back out to beat SCe. It does feel like it could come together but we shall see soon.

They say what doesn't kill you makes you better.

Agree. Last year when we were killed by Oregon, there was nothing good to take away from that game. This year, there was plenty to be optimistic about for the rest of the season.

I will agree with you-- but this is not only going to depend on our guys, but the coaching staff and what they do the next two weeks. I am still not sold at all on the OC.....
Our guys will definitely have the self confidence and swagger knowing they can do it and after watching our game and the SC GA game, GA's O and D lines are not as good as OK. They played way too soft on SC WRs the entire game and gave up huge wide open passes/yards. I think if we concentrate this week on our O line, getting healthy, and not running slow developing sweeps-- more quick slants to help Worley, we may just scare the crap out of the dawgs...

WE scared the crap out of them last year. If Pigs fingers were a little stronger or longer we win that game. Spurrier showed what can be done to them on offense and I believe with a week extra to get healthy and watch more film, that we can go Athens and shock those muthers.:whistling:

Wait...do we still have the same offensive line?
Look, I have and always will pull for an upset, but we have to find a way to score some points. We can't count on our defense throughout this season to continue bailing out the offense...just sayin'.

GO VOLS!

I like the sounds of 3-1 better than 2-2. All in favor???

I definitely do! The O-line has to grow some to pull it out but we'll see. Two weeks to see if the coaches will have them ready with a winning game plan.

GO VOLS!

Wait...do we still have the same offensive line?
Look, I have and always will pull for an upset, but we have to find a way to score some points. We can't count on our defense throughout this season to continue bailing out the offense...just sayin'.

GO VOLS!

Did you see their defense against USCe? It didn't show up.

Noon KO favors UT to be sure. But regardless of what others say about UGA's past performance(s) after a loss, it favors UGA that they are coming off a loss in which they were favored. Why? Simple, they are getting a ton of shat this week from press and fans alike. Going to put them in a bad mood. UT played fairly well in a game they were a huge underdog in, and will be getting some love and decent press this week.

UGA coaching staff is getting blistered since the SC game for not utilizing their running game more. Expect them to employ a heavy dose of Gurley and co., even though Chubb is out.

This could be a good game, depends on if the UT OL can pass block any. UGA has the ability to send in exotic blitz packages (see Clemson game) where they literally swarm the QB from varios disguise packages. Worley could take another beating, he likely will, UGA is one of the better sack teams in the SEC. If the pass blocking does not hold up, will/can the running game carry the Vols to a victory? I can't see it.

Too much going for the Dawgs IMO. 31-17 Dawgs.:zeitung_lesen:

Last edited:
WE scared the crap out of them last year. If Pigs fingers were a little stronger or longer we win that game. Spurrier showed what can be done to them on offense and I believe with a week extra to get healthy and watch more film, that we can go Athens and shock those muthers.:whistling:

Recall that UGA was without Gurley, their top two WR's, 2 starting DB's, a starting TE and a starting OL. Was Marshall hurt by then? Point being, they were realing from injuries when UT got them.

Noon KO favors UT to be sure. But regardless of what others say about UGA's past performance(s) after a loss, it favors UGA that they are coming off a loss in which they were favored. Why? Simple, they are getting a ton of shat this week from press and fans alike. Going to put them in a bad mood. UT played fairly well in a game they were a huge underdog in, and will be getting some love and decent press this week.

But they play Troy this week. There is exactly a 0% chance they will play against us coming off of a lose.

Reactions: 3 people
Ill say this. We may not win this game but the further in the season we go, the more experience our offensive line gets and the better they will mold together. We may not get the win @ Georgia, but it will definitely prepare us for the Alabama and Florida games they we have so desperately lacked on lately. I am looking forward to the rest of the season, and hoping to get revenge on the Georgia team.

GBO

VN Store

Back