Where we thought we'd be

utvols74

Most of us thought (some doubted) that we'd be 2-1 at this point in the season. We've made progress from last season and certainly the Dools era.

This coaching staff will be judged on their own and team's learning curve by the end of the Fla game. At some point, youth becomes experienced (at least that happens for other teams and we should be no different). That experience should translate to wins.

The rest of the season depends primarily on 5 offensive linemen. Perhaps the OU thrashing of our OL by a legitimate NC caliber DL will be the education needed for a productive '14 campaign.

"Steady as she goes" is my thought right now despite my slight disappointment. Why do I say "disappointment", because with some decent officiating and 2 or 3 plays, we'd be in it until the final seconds IMHO.

Reactions: 2 people
Team 118 is further along than I figured at this point. Especially the defense. Holding a team like OU to only 3 offensive TD's was impressive.

As good as I hoped better than expected. On path to be way better as the year goes on. Does anyone else feel good about facing OU before SEC play so our team can grow ooc?

The OU will be a great step in the teams development. The freshmen (as in high school last year) are really solid. 3 years of S&C and skill development will be dominant.

Overall, the team is further ahead than my expectations, especially on the defensive side and QB. The QB and defense showed up this week with OU, even though it was a loss, it never felt like a thrashing. The RB's and WR's are at expectations, a little jittery and occasionally out of sync on blocking or hot reads. The O-Line seems behind, although they seem to be 1 block away from a strong running game. The OU game was a wake-up for this group. i expect large steps forward as the OU team is loaded with NFL talent. The line struggled, but did succeed on several series.

I actually feel better about the team than I did after the first 2 games. We will win the games were expected to win and 1 (maybe 2) of the the ones were are to lose.

Right on schedule our freshmen are growing up quick, with a little better OL play we still will surprise a few teams this year, the streak will be over that's for sure. One damn thing is for sure if you asked little game bob, if he would not wont to play these freshmen when they are juniors, because with the 15 class coming and help on the way at both lines this team is being put together the right way, we will give mr. paul Cosell something else to talk about other than bama and war eagle on the sec network. :lolabove:

Last edited:
I was surprised to see the o-line get better in the 2nd half of the OU game. UT might be ahead of where I thought they would be.

As good as I hoped better than expected. On path to be way better as the year goes on. Does anyone else feel good about facing OU before SEC play so our team can grow ooc?

I do now that we got through the game with no serious injuries. Fairly impressed with the progress of this team as a whole, and I think we may be a little ahead of schedule for getting back to competing for the SEC east. With a little luck, and a lot of improvement by the o-line over the next two weeks, we could have a decent shot a UGA. Gurley is a beast and I think the Georgia offense will be a tougher test than OU, but I don't think their defense is near as good as OU's. I like the advantage we should have with our WR's and their DB's, but the question is will Worley have adequate time to find those receivers. Georgia is the better team for sure, but the games are usually close and competitive. Looking forward to this matchup.

They was getting better but it seemed to me that it was always Coleman Thomas who was getting called out.

The left side of the line is fine, but the right side is all true freshmen. I felt bad for Thomas last night. He's obviously not ready for the challenge he faced, but I think he will develop into a good player for us. He was dominated by a very good DE that is a tough matchup for anyone, but especially a kid that was playing HS football this time last year.

The left side of the line is fine, but the right side is all true freshmen. I felt bad for Thomas last night. He's obviously not ready for the challenge he faced, but I think he will develop into a good player for us. He was dominated by a very good DE that is a tough matchup for anyone, but especially a kid that was playing HS football this time last year.

Well said.

There is a major talent difference this year. I agree that this season depends on the OL. That's the one spot where we're noticeably lower caliber. Only recruiting will really fix it, but it gets me excited about the next couple years. With a better OL and the skill we're adding, it's obvious that we are getting Tennessee back sooner.

Since I can't start a thread until I have 100 posts, I thought this thread looked like a good place to ask this question.

So far, would you guys take the 2014 or 2013 Tennessee team? I would take 2014. To answer my own question, I broke it down by position and which year I would prefer.

Quarterback: 2014. Worley played great last year. He lead us to an upset of a really, really good USC team. But he looks even better this year. He has more spin on the ball, he is delivering with confidence, and he is sensing pressure and moving around well in the pocket. He carried the offense in the Oklahoma game and minus Croom being completely incapable of jumping and a questionable goal line call, he may have lead us to a 27-24 deficit at OK.

Halfbacks: Push. It's really hard to tell because the o-line is struggling. Neal and Lane looked good last year. Neal had 1000 yards, but again that was probably mostly due to the o-line. I think in the end the 2014 backs will be better, but for now I have to go with a push.

Wide Receivers: 2014. North and Pig were acceptable to good last year, but this year we have some true explosive potential. With the addition of Pearson and the emergence of Josh Smith, the passing game looks much better. Josh Malone is going to keep coming on as the year goes on. I think being forced into action at OU will help him grow and realize the level of big boy football. Hopefully Smith isn't injured badly.

Tight Ends: 2014. We literally had no production here last year so I don't even think its an argument. Wolf, Helm, and Downs are a pretty good TE core. This position is going to be really good really soon.

Offensive Line: 2013. The o-line carried the 2013 football team. Even with a hobbled Tiny, they were the strength of the team. This offensive line is a work in progress. It really killed us losing Gilliam for the year. I think it will help us in the future getting PT for these young guys but right now, ouch.

Defensive Line: 2014. I thought this would be a big downgrade, but I have been pleasantly surprised. J. Williams and Curt and the rest of the men on the D line are getting good push up front. Of course, OU's ridiculous o-line held them in check, but they still held their own. OU was probably the best o-line we will play all year, so I expect somewhere between the production of the first two games and the production in the OU game. Honestly, that's better than 2013, which was a big disappointment for the d-line.

Linebackers: 2014. AJ is even better. JRM is really coming on. We have talented depth. Curt is looking solid. One of the strengths of this team.

Defensive backs: 2014. Cam is a beast, we know that. Williams has been a great addition so far. Randolph is great. TKJR is really coming on, and Coleman has really adjusted well to his nickel role. E Mosely will hopefully see the light of day soon providing more speed and talent. 2013 had talent but 2014 seems more cohesive as a unit.

Special teams: 2013. Palardy had a monster year. Watching our current kickers makes me miss him even more. Granted, I think Darr's injury in the first game has really hampered his ability to plant his anchor leg, leading to his inconsistency. But the kick and punt return game hasn't been anything special. We can't get any blocking done on punt return team to allow a decent return. And please, D. Young, take a knee. The 25 yard line is your friend.

My Conclusion: We are better at just about every position minus our glaring weaknesses at kicker and o-line. Of course this is a silly exercise since we have only played three games thus far. But still, I thought it would be an interesting discussion.

Worley was far from great last season. Don't confuse learning to limit mistakes from being great. He is improved this year and he's throwing the ball better.

Worley was far from great last season. Don't confuse learning to limit mistakes from being great. He is improved this year and he's throwing the ball better.

I would argue he was great. He was working with a pretty limited bunch of WRs and essentially no TEs. Limiting mistakes was exactly what he needed to do to win us games last year. He did that, and we beat a top 10 team we had no business beating. To me, that is great in the context of last year's team. Compare it to Dobbs, who did not limit mistakes. We ended up getting destroyed by teams like Mizzou and losing to Vanderbilt.

Greatness isn't always putting up 4k yards and 35 td passes. I would also argue that A.J. McCarron was great because he took what his team gave him and executed the game plan to near perfection. Is he as talented as Peyton Manning? No. But he did exactly what his team needed and did it at a high level

Same as last few years.
Fans have big hopes.
We beat a couple of chumps.
Everyone feels fuzzy all over.

Then reality: Good teams kick our butts.

Do the fans have the patience to wait for our young team to mature?.

Maybe two more years.

They are who I thought they were! A better team than most think.

0ap2000000113814_gallery_600.jpg

I agree we did a solid job. In 2 weeks when we take on Georgia you will see a better and determined team

Now, the real season begins. We'll definitely understand our team and our direction in the SEC after the Georgia game.

GO VOLS!

VN Store

Back