Players Who Have Surprised You This Year

VolnJC

I would have to go with
Reeves-Maybin and Josh Smith..I thought Maybin would be better as a SS and I didn't think JS could catch

I also think that the DTs have played well O'Brien, J. Williams, and O Williams(who leads the team in sacks)

I didn't include Worley because I really thought he would be better this year

Player stats
UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics - Football

I agree on Worley, His improvement doesnt shock me. Although I am impressed with his arm strength and poise this year. Hurd has shocked me getting it going last night in a tough environment. Thought he would have more growing pains after dominating in HS.
Derrick Barnett has held his own at DT even vs. that HUGE Oline of OK.

Reactions: 1 person
JRM is what I thought he would be, he was a monster on special teams last year. Glad to see I was not wrong on him.

That said, Worley has been a very pleasant surprise.

I WILL include Worley...He's been great, and I wasn't sure about him. I am now though. I'll throw in AJ, with all the talk of him being weak in coverage, he's been EVERYWHERE!! Rarely do I see a play where 45 is not in the mix. Josh Smith has gotta be in the conversation as well. He has been a solid playmaker for us so far.

Hurd had 2 solid holes opened up for him, which he turned into about 70 yards!!! :rock::rock::rock:

He will do some damage this year, and will look like a Faster Mark Ingram before he is done!!

Last edited:
Our Defensive line as a whole. They have really surprised me this year. Also, Jalen Reeves May bin has been a nice surprise and Cam Sutton just continues to impress me more and more.

Reactions: 1 person
Worley ( I knew he would be improved but he has surprised me)
Von Pearson (spelling?)
Josh Smith

and most of all our young TE that's is injured atm just cant remember his name. But man was he playing ball before he got hurt.

edit: Ethan Wolfe

Last edited:
Most of you guys seam to be pointing to defensive players outside Worley. I think that's a sign of just how good our defensive staff is. I hope UT realizes this and pays these guys long term. We need the continuity. So, which that said, I think Jancek is our most improved player because through him everyone of our defensive players look better.

Last edited:
Jason Croom. I am surprised every db bullies him like they're trying to take his lunch money.

Derek Barnett
Jordan Williams
Danny O'Brien
Jashon Robertson
Ethan Wolf
Josh Smith

These six are the biggest surprise to me

VN Store

Back