OU Loss will be our most important loss.

GrowVol

Now that the sting has worn off, its clear to see many reasons to believe we are a lot better than many of us think right now.
This Loss may prove to be invaluable going into SEC play for many reasons. Bet we become the SEC spoilers of the year (please O/L)

Reactions: 6 people
ill be curious to see how the team rebounds.. it is going to be interesting .. they fought the whole game.

Reactions: 5 people
this is a young team and will get better every game and still they gave the number 4 team in the country a real fight.

just imagine what could have been if our o-line had another years experience, this would have been a much different game and it will be next year in our house.

My advice to everyone is to sit back and enjoy the ride because its not often you get the chance to watch a team as talented and as young as this one grow up.

we will improve every single week and we have the potential to surprise a lot of people this year and in years to come this team will be a force to be reckoned with.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and its getting brighter every day.

go vols !

Reactions: 12 people
this is a young team and will get better every game and still they gave the number 4 team in the country a real fight.

just imagine what could have been if our o-line had another years experience, this would have been a much different game and it will be next year in our house.

My advice to everyone is to sit back and enjoy the ride because its not often you get the chance to watch a team as talented and as young as this one grow up.

we will improve every single week and we have the potential to surprise a lot of people this year and in years to come this team will be a force to be reckoned with.

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and its getting brighter every day.

go vols !

best post I've read in the last two weeks.

Reactions: 1 person
The Georgia game on the road will be tough, but after seeing the Gators play, this Vol squad has a good shot at beating the Gators at home in Neyland, I truly believe that!

My only concern is Worley. That young man took some shots and it showed. I don't know how serious it is. I do know that he is the kind of guy that will try to play through it. I can't blame him. You take the ball out of his hands now and it could be the last time he ever plays. I'm not going to be the one calling for it. I would rather see him finish his college career.

Watched game today after getting back in town from Oklahoma. The score was not indicative of the fight UT gave. Oklahoma had to earn its offensive yards. And our defense laid the wood. Score was lopsided but few plays really flipped the score. UT didn't lay an egg. Just obvious we have young inexperienced guys all over the field. I was more encouraged watching the game on replay.

ill be curious to see how the team rebounds.. it is going to be interesting .. they fought the whole game.

Butch will remind they are still undefeated in SEC play. They won't face another front 7 that is that talented and experienced. Our oline was basically 18-19 year olds going against an OU front 7 made up of 21-23 year olds, and have been in OU's S&C program for 4-5 years for some of them. Men against boys.

Bama, UF, and even Ole Miss, all have very talented front
7s, but all have some youth in their groups. But OU starts RS seniors, seniors, and RS juniors across the front 7. (the good news is a lot of those OU players will need to be replaced next season when OU comes to Neyland)

I think our OL will learn a lot from that and I think they grew some as I thought they played some better down the stretch, which of course could be due to them being in better condition as the game wore on. (I don't know that, just speculating as to one reason they seemed to play better later in the game)

I also think our defense learned a lot about themselves last night, and should feel pretty good about what they learned. Young players will have to clean up some mental errors here and there, which cost some big plays, but take away those few big plays, and the defense was outstanding. Their 3rd down defense was verygood.

And I was very proud of Worley. He's taken a lot of grief from our fanbase, but he put in the work it takes to be an SEC QB, and he's the toughest QB we have had since the Ice Man.

Like Booger said post game - I think Tennessee is trending up.

But the punting and return teams need some work.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

Butch will remind they are still undefeated in SEC play. They won't face another front 7 that is that talented and experienced. Our oline was basically 18-19 year olds going against an OU front 7 made up of 21-23 year olds, and have been in OU's S&C program for 4-5 years for some of them. Men against boys.

Bama, UF, and even Ole Miss, all have very talented front
7s, but all have some youth in their groups. But OU starts RS seniors, seniors, and RS juniors across the front 7. (the good news is a lot of those OU players will need to be replaced next season when OU comes to Neyland)

I think our OL will learn a lot from that and I think they grew some as I thought they played some better down the stretch, which of course could be due to them being in better condition as the game wore on. (I don't know that, just speculating as to one reason they seemed to play better later in the game)

I also think our defense learned a lot about themselves last night, and should feel pretty good about what they learned. Young players will have to clean up some mental errors here and there, which cost some big plays, but take away those few big plays, and the defense was outstanding. Their 3rd down defense was verygood.

And I was very proud of Worley. He's taken a lot of grief from our fanbase, but he put in the work it takes to be an SEC QB, and he's the toughest QB we have had since the Ice Man.

Like Booger said post game - I think Tennessee is trending up.

But the punting and return teams need some work.

good post.i think this team will get better each week.
:good!:

My only concern is Worley. That young man took some shots and it showed. I don't know how serious it is. I do know that he is the kind of guy that will try to play through it. I can't blame him. You take the ball out of his hands now and it could be the last time he ever plays. I'm not going to be the one calling for it. I would rather see him finish his college career.

Luckily there is a bye week to heal up. Georgia doesn't have the kind of D line and LBs that OU has.

The Georgia game on the road will be tough, but after seeing the Gators play, this Vol squad has a good shot at beating the Gators at home in Neyland, I truly believe that!

Did not see the Fla/Ky game. Wondering if UF is that bad or has UK improved that much? Did not see 3 OTs for the victory at the swamp on the map, so that game leaves me questioning how good both of those teams really are.

First, OU only loses 2 seniors from our starting front 7 on D......Grissom, our Jack LB & Ndulue, DE. The starting ILB's (Evans & Alexander) are sophomores & the NT, Jordan Phillips, the OLB, Eric Striker, & the other DE, Charles Tapper are all juniors. Of course, the juniors could come out but based on their respective circumstances, I doubt if any do.

Now, let me get to the heart of my post. I cannot tell you how impressed I was with your HC and your team. You all are definitely headed in the right direction and the game in Knoxville will be a war.

I will start with your QB.....Worley was a champion. He never lost his poise even under relentless pressure. Obviously, you have some work to do with the O-line but your skill people, including Hurd, are very good and will only get better.

I was very impressed with your D. Your front 7 was tremendous and they were obviously schemed to stop our running attack & that did a damn fine job of it.

This was a weird game. I never felt that we didn't have control but I never felt comfortable that we could hold on to it.

I was at the game & you all had a strong visiting contingent. I hope they all enjoyed their visit to Owen Field. I am looking forward to coming to Knoxville nest year. In my opinion, you have turned the corner.

Reactions: 13 people
Now that the sting has worn off, its clear to see many reasons to believe we are a lot better than many of us think right now.
This Loss may prove to be invaluable going into SEC play for many reasons. Bet we become the SEC spoilers of the year (please O/L)

I was thinking the same when CBJ said we'd look back on this loss. Sh*ts about to get real for the SEC east.

First, OU only loses 2 seniors from our starting front 7 on D......Grissom, our Jack LB & Ndulue, DE. The starting ILB's (Evans & Alexander) are sophomores & the NT, Jordan Phillips, the OLB, Eric Striker, & the other DE, Charles Tapper are all juniors. Of course, the juniors could come out but based on their respective circumstances, I doubt if any do.

Now, let me get to the heart of my post. I cannot tell you how impressed I was with your HC and your team. You all are definitely headed in the right direction and the game in Knoxville will be a war.

I will start with your QB.....Worley was a champion. He never lost his poise even under relentless pressure. Obviously, you have some work to do with the O-line but your skill people, including Hurd, are very good and will only get better.

I was very impressed with your D. Your front 7 was tremendous and they were obviously schemed to stop our running attack & that did a damn fine job of it.

This was a weird game. I never felt that we didn't have control but I never felt comfortable that we could hold on to it.

I was at the game & you all had a strong visiting contingent. I hope they all enjoyed their visit to Owen Field. I am looking forward to coming to Knoxville nest year. In my opinion, you have turned the corner.

Precciate it! Now will you go to every other thread and post that for the gloom and doom folk round here? Y'all were more impressive than I imagined. OU has a good squad. Best wishes to y'all this year.

Playing against the best will only help you improve. Assuming that we have the talent and character in the O-Line, I expect that the group will make some leaps. Nothing like seeing film of potential NFL talent running through blocks to help the O-Line learn and step up.

Thanks for the post, nice to here the perspective from the opposition after the game that is honest and not just smack talk.

Likewise, I was very impressed with OU and believe if they play that way the rest of their season, they will, or should be, in the playoff. Being honest, I felt before the season they might have been overrated, but after Saturday, believe they are an honest contender for the title this year. Good luck the rest of the way.

Yeah. It will be important. OU could be the best team we face this year and our boys fought hard. The score looks like we got blasted and we did. But if the play call was Hurd up the middle from the four instead of a pass, and Hurd got in, there's no pick six and we score a TD. That's a 14 point swing off of one mistake. Final score would've been 17-27 instead of 10-34. Major difference and I hate that a mistake cost us so much.

Not meant to oppose your post, but I'm thinking they don't actually "rebound" as
much as they simply pick up where they left off and continue to make progress. Like keep moving in-stride.

VN Store

Back