Vols move to 3rd in nation 3rd down defense

SeniorDrill

Tennessee is tied with Virginia Tech at 3rd place in FBS in 3rd down conversion defense. Oklahoma only converted 3 of 12 third downs against the Vols! Our defense is only allowing 23.3% of third downs to become first downs. Oklahoma did not have a sustained drive rushing the football against our defense.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 people
Wow. Minus AJ, the defense will be all around better next year too. Also, minus Worley we aren't going to miss a lot of offensive players either.

Reactions: 1 person
Tennessee is tied with Virginia Tech at 3rd place in FBS in 3rd down conversion defense. Oklahoma only converted 25% on third down against the Vols!

Hey, let me say this. A.J. Johnson is a fearless LB and is playing a huge roll on our D. I knew he could be good, but he is bordering on great. I think he could make all-american at this rate.

The Dline is performing well despite their youth. They are going to continue to get better I think. There is real hope there.

We still have DB or two that don't tackle real well in the open field or take bad angles in open field, but we also have some that haven't even played yet so I think we are going to improve there too. Still have a missed assignment here and there, but not as often. Those uncovered receivers in open space really hurt, of course. But there is some improvement even there I think.

I am guessing he is saying it is deceiving because the opposing offence can still have a high number of first downs or scores because your not stopping them and making it to third down often. It would make sense that you need to take the total number of first downs into account when looking at that stat.....

Please understand I am in no way saying this is the case for us. Haven't really even payed close enough attention to the numbers. I am only commenting on why he called it a deceiving stat.

Anyone with a modicum of football sense could see from the first game that the defense was faster and much improved. The scheme and execution have been great. A couple of breakdowns against OU.

Same goes for the woes of then offense.

Reactions: 6 people
Anyone with a modicum of football sense could see from the first game that the defense was faster and much improved. The scheme and execution have been great. A couple of breakdowns against OU.

Same goes for the woes of then offense.

Without a doubt... Personally I am thrilled and a bit surprised our defense is looking so good. Last year way to many medium gains turned into huge plays.

Agree with that. Especially when you throw a pick 6 like we did late in game. You do not have to convert those 3rd down or be as efficient if the opponent gives you points.

iGvzWJmrmyN9q.jpg

Reactions: 8 people
its a deceiving stat if you've been waiting on jancek/Martinez to fail because it doesn't fit what some may have been preaching for 2 years

Reactions: 3 people
Tennessee is tied with Virginia Tech at 3rd place in FBS in 3rd down conversion defense. Oklahoma only converted 3 of 12 third downs against the Vols! Our defense is only allowing 23.3% of third downs to become first downs. Oklahoma did not have a sustained drive rushing the football against our defense.
#1 is Oregon State, 2-0, versus Portland and Hawaii. #2 is Pitt, 3-0, versus Delaware, Boston College, and FIU.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back