Analysis and grades from yesterday

AboveAllNations

QB: C+

Justin Worley played much better than his stat line would indicate, as it's hard to question how any QB could have done much better given the relentless pass rush he had to deal with. For a guy with limited mobility, he did a fairly good job of stepping up in what little pocket he had and consistently delivering the ball on target to the right guy. Of course, Worley was responsible for two game-changing mistakes: (1) his 1st quarter fumble from a blindside corner blitz that he should have recognized before the snap; and (2) his INT thrown into triple coverage at the beginning of the 4th quarter, and embarrassing lack of effort on the ensuing pick-six return. Worley also demonstrated a disappointing lack of leadership on the sideline, as he rarely interacted with teammates and kept the same glazed "deer-in-the-headlights" expression fixed on his face throughout most of the second half. At this point, Worley's biggest improvements need to come from his decision making and demeanor between plays.

RBs: B+

Marlin Lane and Jalen Hurd both ran hard and finished with respectable statistics by the end of the game. Hurd in particular exhibited great vision and explosiveness in getting big runs out of the smallest creases. Oklahoma didn't respect Worley on the read option and sent their ends crashing down on the running back every time, but even that didn't seem to hinder Lane and Hurd much in the second half.

WRs: C+

The constant pressure on Worley didn't give the WRs much time to work, but North and Smith still managed to get open and make plays. Howard had a nice 19 yard catch on 3rd down, but lost 13 yards on a pair of doomed jet sweeps in the 1st and 3rd quarters. Jason Croom had three drops, including one in the end zone that resulted in a critical interception.

TEs: D+

No tight end registered a catch, which is disappointing on a night when Worley desperately needed quick outlets. Pass protection was still a nightmare on plays where the TEs stayed in to protect, although much of those breakdowns were still attributable to OL mistakes. The run blocking on stretch plays was decent.

OL: D-

As expected, this unit was utterly outclassed and outmatched. While it wasn't surprising to see Thomas, Robertson and Kerbyson struggle in one-on-one match ups, it was disappointing to see OU generate consistent pressure from 3-man pass rushes. The pass protection failures weren't just physical, as on several instances it appeared that linemen let rushers through while expecting help that never came. On the bright side, the line didn't commit a single penalty and the run blocking became serviceable in the second half.

DL: B+

In stark contrast to the offensive line, this unit exceeded all realistic expectations and played surprisingly well. The tackles contained OU's interior running game, while Barnett and Maggit generated pressure from the outside and generally contained Knight from escaping the pocket. Maggit and Vereen lost contain against the run on several occasions, but otherwise this unit held their own.

LBs: A-

A.J. Johnson is playing like a man possessed this season, and last night was no different. His speed, physicality and leadership set the tone for the entire defense. Jalen Reeves-Maybin was okay, but lost outside contain on several instances and might have been responsible for OU's first touchdown with a coverage mistake. Those mistakes notwithstanding, the linebackers continue to be the strength of this defense.

DBs: B+

With the safeties needed for run support, everybody knew Tenn's CBs needed to play tight man coverage to have a prayer in this game, and they stepped up big time. This unit continues to play stellar on 3rd down, and helped out on several occasions by delivering huge hits in the flat. LaDarrell McNeil took a terrible angle on a short slant taken for 33 yards, but otherwise the safety play was solid.

Special teams: B

Matt Darr had a shaky night punting the ball, but one of those muffed punts resulted in a fumble recovery deep in OU territory. Tennessee blocked a field goal late in the game, and also covered well on OU returns. Compared to debacles against teams like Oregon and Auburn last year, the overall improvement in team speed on our kick coverage units is noticeable.

Coaching: A-

Credit Butch Jones and the coaching staff for keeping this game competitive deep into the second half. In a game with almost zero margin for error, we committed only 1 penalty and stopped Oklahoma on 75% of their 3rd downs. We are obviously hamstrung by our limitations at offensive line, but Coach Jones has this team believing we can still win any game. We won't see a team or an environment as tough as Oklahoma for the rest of the season, so hopefully we can build on this experience to win some games in the wide-open SEC East.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Worley gets an A with some extra credit for toughness and poise in the face of pressure and no right tackle to speak of.
O Line gets a D- in the first half and a C- for the second half.
Love Colman Thomas but he got beat like a drum all night. He will improve. Maybe should be a guard . . . slow footwork. In all fairness he was playing one of the better pass rushers in the nation last night. That guy got 3 sacks vs bama last year tifwiw

Reactions: 5 people
Worley a C+??

doubletake.gif

Even Herbie & Fowler were talking about his grit and performance all night.

Sorry, didn't read the rest after that one.

Reactions: 4 people
QB: C+

Justin Worley played much better than his stat line would indicate, as it's hard to question how any QB could have done much better given the relentless pass rush he had to deal with. For a guy with limited mobility, he did a fairly good job of stepping up in what little pocket he had and consistently delivering the ball on target to the right guy. Of course, Worley was responsible for two game-changing mistakes: (1) his 1st quarter fumble from a blindside corner blitz that he should have recognized before the snap; and (2) his INT thrown into triple coverage at the beginning of the 4th quarter, and embarrassing lack of effort on the ensuing pick-six return. Worley also demonstrated a disappointing lack of leadership on the sideline, as he rarely interacted with teammates and kept the same glazed "deer-in-the-headlights" expression fixed on his face throughout most of the second half. At this point, Worley's biggest improvements need to come from his decision making and demeanor between plays.

RBs: B+

Marlin Lane and Jalen Hurd both ran hard and finished with respectable statistics by the end of the game. Hurd in particular exhibited great vision and explosiveness in getting big runs out of the smallest creases. Oklahoma didn't respect Worley on the read option and sent their ends crashing down on the running back every time, but even that didn't seem to hinder Lane and Hurd much in the second half.

WRs: C+

The constant pressure on Worley didn't give the WRs much time to work, but North and Smith still managed to get open and make plays. Howard had a nice 19 yard catch on 3rd down, but lost 13 yards on a pair of doomed jet sweeps in the 1st and 3rd quarters. Jason Croom had three drops, including one in the end zone that resulted in a critical interception.

TEs: D+

No tight end registered a catch, which is disappointing on a night when Worley desperately needed quick outlets. Pass protection was still a nightmare on plays where the TEs stayed in to protect, although much of those breakdowns were still attributable to OL mistakes. The run blocking on stretch plays was decent.

OL: D-

As expected, this unit was utterly outclassed and outmatched. While it wasn't surprising to see Thomas, Robertson and Kerbyson struggle in one-on-one match ups, it was disappointing to see OU generate consistent pressure from 3-man pass rushes. The pass protection failures weren't just physical, as on several instances it appeared that linemen let rushers through while expecting help that never came. On the bright side, the line didn't commit a single penalty and the run blocking became serviceable in the second half.

DL: B+

In stark contrast to the offensive line, this unit exceeded all realistic expectations and played surprisingly well. The tackles contained OU's interior running game, while Barnett and Maggit generated pressure from the outside and generally contained Knight from escaping the pocket. Maggit and Vereen lost contain against the run on several occasions, but otherwise this unit held their own.

LBs: A-

A.J. Johnson is playing like a man possessed this season, and last night was no different. His speed, physicality and leadership set the tone for the entire defense. Jalen Reeves-Maybin was okay, but lost outside contain on several instances and might have been responsible for OU's first touchdown with a coverage mistake. Those mistakes notwithstanding, the linebackers continue to be the strength of this defense.

DBs: B+

With the safeties needed for run support, everybody knew Tenn's CBs needed to play tight man coverage to have a prayer in this game, and they stepped up big time. This unit continues to play stellar on 3rd down, and helped out on several occasions by delivering huge hits in the flat. LaDarrell McNeil took a terrible angle on a short slant taken for 33 yards, but otherwise the safety play was solid.

Special teams: B

Matt Darr had a shaky night punting the ball, but one of those muffed punts resulted in a fumble recovery deep in OU territory. Tennessee blocked a field goal late in the game, and also covered well on OU returns. Compared to debacles against teams like Oregon and Auburn last year, the overall improvement in team speed on our kick coverage units is noticeable.

Coaching: A-

Credit Butch Jones and the coaching staff for keeping this game competitive deep into the second half. In a game with almost zero margin for error, we committed only 1 penalty and stopped Oklahoma on 75% of their 3rd downs. We are obviously hamstrung by our limitations at offensive line, but Coach Jones has this team believing we can still win any game. We won't see a team or an environment as tough as Oklahoma for the rest of the season, so hopefully we can build on this experience to win some games in the wide-open SEC East.

I thought Worley played descent considering he could not get into a rhythm w/ the constant pressure, however, you can tell sometimes that he looks a little timid as he has a look of "deer in the headlights and mouth wide open" when things are not going right.....

Worley gets an A with some extra credit for toughness and poise in the face of pressure and no right tackle to speak of.
Love Colman Thomas but he got beat like a drum all night. He will improve. Maybe should be a guard . . . slow footwork. In all fairness he was playing one of the better pass rushers in the nation last night. That guy got 3 sacks vs bama last year tifwiw

Right, average players at the tackle position puts a QB in a vulnerable situation. There's a lot of work to be done.

Worley a C+??

doubletake.gif

Even Herbie & Fowler were talking about his grit and performance all night.

Sorry, didn't read the rest after that one.

Sorry, but 3 turnovers, 48% completion percentage and 4.6 yards per attempt isn't a "A" or "B" game. I understand that Worley's not a vocal leader, but he at least needs to lead by example and just plain giving up on a play wasn't acceptable.

Reactions: 1 person
Sorry, but 3 turnovers, 48% completion percentage and 4.6 yards per attempt isn't a "A" or "B" game. I understand that Worley's not a vocal leader, but he at least needs to lead by example and just plain giving up on a play wasn't acceptable.

What did you want him to do there? Run over the 2 lead blockers? Get bulldozed AGAIN. Its not like that's AJ running him down there. Cmon, give him a break. He played his heart out.

tumblr_lzu248fghu1qhcmny_by_akreon-d65kxct.gif

Go watch the Butch Jones presser and him talk about Worley. If there was any 'give up' or lack of leadership, you are seeing something Butch isn't. He looked damn proud of his QB in that video.

I don't think you can judge what type of leader he is or his sideline demeanor from 10 seconds on tv between plays. The reality is you have never met Justin Worley, never been on the sidline or in the locker room with him. I'll take what you say with a grain of salt.

As far as his stats, this offense probably won't have a very good ypa average because of short throws and screens we run a lot. Which was probably a big part of the gameplan, so that was about what we should have expected. Plus, I don't think any QB in the country could have done much better with that pass rush in his face.

I disagree. Worley gets an A+ for effort and toughness. However, he three two terrible interceptions in the OU end zone that kept them comfortably in front. The pick six was a bad play call but the execution by Worley was even worse. So, I would give him C- in performance because he did complete some nice throws especially given the duress he was under all night.

The O line gets a clear F.

What did you want him to do there? Run over the 2 lead blockers? Get bulldozed AGAIN. Its not like that's AJ running him down there. Cmon, give him a break. He played his heart out.

He didn't need to make the tackle, but he could've gotten in the runner's way to let his teammates catch up. If you'll notice, Kyler Kerbyson and Marquez North were both hustling at full speed the entire return, and could've saved a touchdown if Worley bothered to show some effort. If a kicker can do it, a quarterback can do it.

I don't give the coaching a A-, maybe a C. The offensive game planning caused a lot of our issues. Letting Young bring the ball out I f the end zone was a coaching failure in itself.

As far as Worley's grade is concerned, I'll just ask this: can you imagine how the game would have went with Peterman playing the whole game?

Wonder what your demeanor would be after you spent two hours getting dry humped and had possibly suffered a concussion.:crazy:

He didn't need to make the tackle, but he could've gotten in the runner's way to let his teammates catch up. If you'll notice, Kyler Kerbyson and Marquez North were both hustling at full speed the entire return, and could've saved a touchdown if Worley bothered to show some effort. If a kicker can do it, a quarterback can do it.

Yea I'm happy with Worley not trying to take down the CB on that play. Smart

I'd rather my starting QB not get blasted for no reason

The one thing this team needs is leadership and not firing your team up on the sidelines is not leadership. Take f'en control Justin!

I disagree. Worley gets an A+ for effort and toughness. However, he three two terrible interceptions in the OU end zone that kept them comfortably in front. The pick six was a bad play call but the execution by Worley was even worse. So, I would give him C- in performance because he did complete some nice throws especially given the duress he was under all night.

The O line gets a clear F.

I agree :salute:with one exception. The pick in the corner was Croom's fault. Hit him in the hands. The 2nd one was his fault completely. For the record I do wish they would have run there we were in 2 down territory.

I don't think Worley's glazed deer in the headlights eyes were due to any leadership flaw. I think it had more to do with the licks he was taking.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back