The Devrin Young experiment at KR

PrattvilleVol

RIP RichRollin
Has not worked in 3 years. Has he ever made it to the 20 yd. line much less crossed it? TKJ, Wharton, Ev. Berry, Gaulden...we have a ton of options and need to use them now.

Reactions: 27 people
Why he doesn't just take a knee, I'll never know.

But, to your question, yes, he was actually better as a freshman than he is now. I recall him returning it to midfield in that game at home against Buffalo some years ago. I think that was his first game or two.

Reactions: 4 people
I like DY but he just doesn't seem to have that extra gear. We've got a stable of burners we can put back there.

And actually, unless I'm wrong, the ball automatically goes to the 25 in college ball now, so that's even more reason why his rear should just take a knee after catching a ball 5 yards in the endzone as opposed to running it out in a straight line to the 14 yard line and getting the hell knocked out of him.

Reactions: 7 people
Has not worked in 3 years. Has he ever made it to the 20 yd. line much less crossed it? TKJ, Wharton, Ev. Berry, Gaulden...we have a ton of options and need to use them now.

Yep. The grass tripped him up a couple of times. However, Sutton can not play every play of every game.

Reactions: 1 person
On an unrelated note, watching the Butch Jones Show now..... Dear God Bob Kesling's head is enormous. Literally twice as big as John Brice's head.

Reactions: 4 people
I don't think it is all on DY, but someone needs to tell him not to bring the ball out 4-5 yards deep in the end zone.

Reactions: 2 people
His go to move...take it out from 7 yards deep, start to fall around 16-17, go down completely untouched around the 20.

Why he doesn't just take a knee, I'll never know.

But, to your question, yes, he was actually better as a freshman than he is now. I recall him returning it to midfield in that game at home against Buffalo some years ago. I think that was his first game or two.

Now that I think about it a little more, it seems like he was just about to bust that one open, but the last Buffalo player involved got a shoe string trip up on him as Devrin was moving through midfield.

I remember thinking then, wow, we've finally got ourselves a returner.

My god was a I wrong.

A word to the wise: never take a kick returner's capability against Buffalo as a sign of things to come.

Extremely disappointed in this as well. Week 1 depth chart showed Evan Berry as the kick returner, and he never even got a shot in the first two games against weaker opponents. Devrin more often than not makes the wrong decision bringing the ball out. Plus, he shows zero threat to break it open. He literally just runs and falls on his face at the 15-20. He's gotta go. Evan Berry and Wharton need some reps.

Reactions: 3 people

Ev Berry is my choice - who is the Sp. Teams coach with horse blinders on ?

Reactions: 2 people
I'm assuming he's got the job because he is the one in practice that consistently FIELDS the kicks and also isn't used a lot elsewhere. It's easy to say so and so should get a shot, but for all we know they were given that shot and muffed the ball 3 out of 10 times. I agree that he needs to take a knee if he's deep in the end zone. Unless your name is Cordarrelle, that applies to just about anyone.

Devrin has the skills, but blocking is non-existent. Gangs of defenders are meeting him at full speed deep inside the twenty unhindered. Nobody is even slowing these guys down, much less creating lanes.

Reactions: 5 people
And actually, unless I'm wrong, the ball automatically goes to the 25 in college ball now, so that's even more reason why his rear should just take a knee after catching a ball 5 yards in the endzone as opposed to running it out in a straight line to the 14 yard line and getting the hell knocked out of him.[/QUOTE]

I laughed b/c it is true. Kind of bullheaded isn't it?
But he tries and he has stuck with this team and he is a VFL. He's just trying to make something good happen for his team.

But I agree with others.....give someone else a chance.
Blocking has to get twice as better as well.

His main problem is that he's literally falling to the ground either before the first sign of contact or from the slightest touch.. It kills our field position.

How many times did Devrin take us out to the 15 yard line, we couldn't move the ball, and then punted to put them at midfield? It was all. night. long.

I think this is something most of us can agree on. He has been a huge disappointment in the return game.

I'm curious as to why Von Pearson isn't returning kicks. I assume it's that he has difficulty fielding the kicks??

And yes I know he is currently injured.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back