Butch's Loyalty?

madbamahater

No moral victories. The Vols fought hard to the end and we haven't seen that in years. They play for Butch Jones. He has to hire a new Offensive Coordinator. The play calling was irrational. When game should have been cut to 27-17 the OC put Worley and the offense in a very high risk low reward situation. It was irresponsible to NOT run the ball when Worley took it inside the 5 (with a chance to get another 1st down). Especially after having so much success running the ball the second half. 3 things can happen when you throw the ball and 2 of them are bad. The Vols had no business being in the game and the 34-10 doesn't really tell the story because of that late junk pick TD that shouldn't have even been called. Way to go young Vols for carrying the fight to Norman! The offensive play calling was simply inexcusable at times. At crucial times

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 people
I respectfully disagree. OU's defense limited our play calling tremendously. A run inside the five does not guarantee a TD. Were some of our play calls questionable? Yes. But give credit to their D for that.

Reactions: 11 people
I don't blame Worley for trying to make something happen and trying to get rid of the ball quick, but he telegraphed that throw the whole way. Play calling isn't the problem. Blocking assignments and execution was the problem. Worley was under duress the ENTIRE GAME.

Reactions: 7 people
Huh.

I thought we were in the game in the 4th quarter with 40%+ freshmen vs the #4 team with the worst O-Line in the SEC.

Wait a minute - were we watching the same game?!

734b3tm.gif

Reactions: 28 people
So 1 bad decision which they may not have picked up the 1st anyway gives cause for a firing?

So if they don't get it on 3rd down, its 4th and short. 5 wide on the goalline on 3rd and 2 with an unmobile QB is mindless. I ask you to think how much that OC makes per year to make boneheaded decisions.

Reactions: 3 people
No moral victories. The Vols fought hard to the end and we haven't seen that in years. They play for Butch Jones. He has to hire a new Offensive Coordinator. The play calling was irrational. When game should have been cut to 27-17 the OC put Worley and the offense in a very high risk low reward situation. It was irresponsible to NOT run the ball when Worley took it inside the 5 (with a chance to get another 1st down). Especially after having so much success running the ball the second half. 3 things can happen when you throw the ball and 2 of them are bad. The Vols had no business being in the game and the 34-10 doesn't really tell the story because of that late junk pick TD that shouldn't have even been called. Way to go young Vols for carrying the fight to Norman! The offensive play calling was simply inexcusable at times. At crucial times

How do you know that the OC called that play? Worley could have changed the play at the line based upon his pre snap read. It was readily apparent to me that Worley just tried to stick the ball in there regardless of the coverage.

Last edited:
Considering we had 0 run game in the 1st half and almost no blocking of any kind for most of the game I thought the play calling was solid. You could pick apart multiple decisions from any OC in the country after a loss but we competed with the #4 team in the nation and moved the ball well at times. I'm struggling to see that as a firable offense.

Reactions: 2 people
the only real problem I had was 3 and short inside the 10 and the times we passed 3 times in a role on 2 straight series. even if we get stuffed gotta throw a run in there. it wasn't until we went deep the run game opened up a little. that said I think we give the east a serious cause for concern

At crucial points in the game the play selection was irreirresponsible. Yes, you run the ball every time on 3rd and 2 (wasn't 3rd and goal, had a chance for a first down and goal). Mathematically speaking you always play your percentages there. Every time. The ONLY reason to throw is in a play action situation. Only. It was irresponsible! Did Worley force it? Yes. Did he make a poor decision? Yes. Was he placed in a very high risk low reward position with the set? Yes. Of course!!!!!! That's coaching

Reactions: 2 people
Worley didn't line them up 5 wide from the get go on the goal line play. Worley wasn't the one not sending in TE and RB blocking help/ dump off passes to stop the blitz. I have a lot of questions after tonight concerning the offensive coaching staff.

Reactions: 1 person
How do you know that the OC called that play? Worley could have changed the play at the line based upon his pre snap read. It was readily apparent to me that Worley just tried to stick the ball in there regardless of the coverage.

Because if you played football or have watched enough football over the years then you understand it fundamentally. If you don't, you are just a casual fan. That's okay if you are. But that situation was pass all the way with no intent to run first. Wasn't it 5 wide and an empty backfield?

They need to stop throwing so many passes behind the line of scrimmage (bubble screens). OU was too fast and closed so quickly. Most SEC opponents will be all over those plays as well. I don't understand why we don't throw the slant instead.

Teams pass on 3rd and 2 all the time. It's not 1982 anymore where you can just lineup and play road grader football . . . especially against Oklahoma with what we trotted out there for a o-line.

Reactions: 4 people
the only real problem I had was 3 and short inside the 10 and the times we passed 3 times in a role on 2 straight series. even if we get stuffed gotta throw a run in there. it wasn't until we went deep the run game opened up a little. that said I think we give the east a serious cause for concern

Agree on running on that play!! If we get the score, it would have given the OL and whoever ran the ball (probably Hurd) great confidence too moving forward. We'll learn from this one . . .Worley was resilient and hung in there! I'm excited moving forward! Will see many of you in Athens!!

They need to stop throwing so many passes behind the line of scrimmage (bubble screens). OU was too fast and closed so quickly. Most SEC opponents will be all over those plays as well. I don't understand why we don't throw the slant instead.

They were trying to slow down that pass rush and Oklahoma was so fast that they were able to pressure the QB AND blow up the screen. That's a crazy good front 7.

Teams pass on 3rd and 2 all the time. It's not 1982 anymore where you can just lineup and play road grader football . . . especially against Oklahoma with what we trotted out there for a o-line.

It's not that they went for a pass play, imo. It was choosing a 5 wide, empty backfield scheme that close to the goal line.

It's not that they went for a pass play, imo. It was choosing a 5 wide, empty backfield scheme that close to the goal line.

We can argue that. Honestly, I don't like going shotgun inside the 5 yard line ever, but teams do it all the time now.

You people kill me!!!! I'm extremely proud of our players and our coaching staff they both done a GREAT job!

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back