"Scheme" was thrown out a lot..

Dougie_D

CBJ talked about how Oklahoma was great "schematically" and Worley mentioned that his O-line did a great job with their scheme.

I'm wondering if CBJ was talking more about the defensive scheme by Oklahoma. I think our offensive gameplan wasn't effective and we were just out smarted. That's more on the coaches. If the players do what they are asked, then you can't blame them IMO.

Reactions: 1 person
I think we got out manned not outsmarted by bigger,stronger,faster,more experienced players. Our D hung with em all night. We shut down their running game for most of the game. However, we still have to figure out a way to get the ball out of Worley's hand MUCH quicker.He took a pounding! We need him healthy at all cost.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I think we got out manned not outsmarted by bigger,stronger,faster,more experienced players. Our D hung with em all night. We shut down their running game for most of the game. However, we still have to figure out a way to get the ball out of Worley's hand MUCH quicker.He took a pounding! We need him healthy at all cost's.

It wouldn't hurt if we could run the ball in the first half either.

I think we got out manned not outsmarted by bigger,stronger,faster,more experienced players. Our D hung with em all night. We shut down their running game for most of the game. However, we still have to figure out a way to get the ball out of Worley's hand MUCH quicker.He took a pounding! We need him healthy at all cost.

It's called under center....... I'd give my left nut to see us go under center every once in a while..... Shotgun is great but never been a fan with it plus the running game..... I don't know maybe I'm just drunk but I formation with a handoff is beautiful and play action out of I is miss Tennessee beautiful.... Need I say shotgun on the 5 yard line. Put that bad girl under center and have Hurd meet the ball at the line and take 1.5 - 2.5 yards a carry and score!

Reactions: 6 people

The best way to get the ball out of Worley's hand quicker or I should say give him more time to throw, would be to put him on roll outs the same way Oklahoma did their qb. They were able to put three people on the line and get to our qb. I was hoping we would put Dobbs in because there were so many plays that our qb could have picked up positive yards with his legs. Our defensive line were held a lot while the ref would just stand there & watch. Our coaching staff plays so scared. This game was a lot closer than the score. Our players played to win (good job fellas) our coaches coached to lose!

It's called under center....... I'd give my left nut to see us go under center every once in a while..... Shotgun is great but never been a fan with it plus the running game..... I don't know maybe I'm just drunk but I formation with a handoff is beautiful and play action out of I is miss Tennessee beautiful.... Need I say shotgun on the 5 yard line. Put that bad girl under center and have Hurd meet the ball at the line and take 1.5 - 2.5 yards a carry and score!

Said the exact same thing yesterday

It wouldn't hurt if we could run the ball in the first half either.

The first two runs all year they run Hurd outside of the tackles and look what happened. With a young offensive line I'm not sure why we keep just trying to run it straight up the gut. We've got speed now.

Reactions: 1 person
The best way to get the ball out of Worley's hand quicker or I should say give him more time to throw, would be to put him on roll outs the same way Oklahoma did their qb. They were able to put three people on the line and get to our qb. I was hoping we would put Dobbs in because there were so many plays that our qb could have picked up positive yards with his legs. Our defensive line were held a lot while the ref would just stand there & watch. Our coaching staff plays so scared. This game was a lot closer than the score. Our players played to win (good job fellas) our coaches coached to lose!
roll outs cut the field in half, rolls the coverage to the one side you have available to you, and limits your passing attack.

Do you guys realize that if he was under center the defensive line would have beat him to his drop back point? They were coming through the offensive line like water through a screen door. If we were under center all night they would of had 12 sacks.

Like it or not this is the system being ran. If you want to know what it looks like for the future look at OU. The run a very similar system. Also it's hard to run anything including I-formation when your linemen can't seem to block anyone. OUs defensive scheme had something to do with that, seeing that our O-Line is so inexperienced and young but also they were Physically more dominant. We basically played an Alabama type of front.

We will get better, I noticed the right side seemed to have the most trouble with Stryker (or however you spell his name). Isn't the right side consist of Freshmen? But even our Junior linemen had a tough time and you can chalk it up to inexperience. It's amazing some people around here complain about things when they are good. Like last years O-Line, I'd give a lot to have some of those guys back, but then when they see the reality without it, they just beach and complain some more about other things. When in reality they know little about football in general and couldn't coach if they were handed a little league team. This board really needs some perspective sometimes. The coaching isn't the issue at this point. In fact the play calling kept us in the game. We were a few plays from making it a ball game. But did any of you really think we were going to win? It'll get better, I saw a lot more positives outside the O-Line play to give me hope. I have faith that the O-line will improve, but we have to give it time. O-Line is the only real positions on the field to regress from last year but that has everything to do with inexperience. Most everything else I see vast improvement. Last year we probably would have lost this game 55-7 with our defense giving up that many.

Despite the O line issues the fact that we could have made it a ball game late in the game if we would have scored (2 Ints really hurt) is a testimony to this coaching staff. Say what you want about the O-line but I think Butch is the right man for this job. He is coaching hard with these guys.

VN Store

Back