Butch Jones- Post-Game: Oklahoma

After all this time they still haven't learned how to mic up the media questions.

Reactions: 10 people
I believe Butch when he says UT is "goin', to be back, but he may need to rethink if Bajakian is part of that future. I'm sorry, but continuing to run the read option with these QBs and oline is pointless & confusing. NO ONE is buying the keeper and we really don't have a QB on the horizon to run this. Add his questionable play calling, I think his position should be rethought.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 people
I believe Butch when he says UT is "goin', to be back, but he may need to rethink if Bajakian is part of that future. I'm sorry, but continuing to run the read option with these QBs and oline is pointless & confusing. NO ONE is buying the keeper and we really don't have a QB on the horizon to run this. Add his questionable play calling, I think his position should be rethought.

I totally agree and after watching these interviews you can tell that CBJ needed to make some changes. It was obvious that we lost because of our coaching. First time I heard CBJ talk about another teams scheme.

Reactions: 2 people

The play where Hurd busted 43 was a thing of beauty.

Reactions: 6 people
I totally agree and after watching these interviews you can tell that CBJ needed to make some changes. It was obvious that we lost because of our coaching. First time I heard CBJ talk about another teams scheme.

I think its more like UT lost because they played a bad ass Oklahoma team on the road....

I mean am I the only one who was surprised OU wasn't a bunch of fat and slow dustbowl fed i wing running knuckledraggers?

100% agreement. I hate this offense.

Reactions: 5 people
Doesn't matter what you run. You aren't going to have success with the QB getting hit that often

Bajakian needs to mould his O to personnel, not the other way around.

Never thought I'd say this but I now have more faith in Jancek. OL couldn't hold back a 3-4 man rush and you run the slow developing read option and deep routes?

5 wide on 2 yards from the end zone?

I get Pearson and Wolf being out hurt but that all just seems square peg round hole.

Reactions: 4 people
Doesn't matter what you run. You aren't going to have success with the QB getting hit that often

Yeah we could have been running out of the I formation and still would have gotten murdered at the LOS. I do think the play action would have neutralized some of that, though. That is how Kiffin got past having a bad Online and got Crompton's play elevated.

Reactions: 4 people
Bajakian needs to mould his O to personnel, not the other way around.

Never thought I'd say this but I now have more faith in Jancek. OL couldn't hold back a 3-4 man rush and you run the slow developing read option and deep routes?

5 wide on 2 yards from the end zone?

I get Pearson and Wolf being out hurt but that all just seems square peg round hole.

When Hurd broke the 50-yarder, it was the fastest running play we've executed in five years. We just pushed forward, hit the guy in front of you, make a crease.

I would love to have an aspect to our game where we just line up and do what Arkansas did to Texas Tech. We've got the backs. It's what suits our personnel. Play-action would have actually slowed down OK last night.

And it ain't rocket science; it's Football 101. I think it would help the O-line too. :twocents:

Reactions: 2 people
Yeah we could have been running out of the I formation and still would have gotten murdered at the LOS. I do think the play action would have neutralized some of that, though. That is how Kiffin got past having a bad Online and got Crompton's play elevated.

Play action is pointless if you can't run the ball

He also said that thy were going to stop in Nashville today on the way back as the Cowboys are playing the titans today to personally find Dooley and lkick him right in the balls for his lack of OL recruiting

Reactions: 6 people
I think we have a disparity in coaching and players. We should open the playbook more but we also need players that can execute the plays. These guys are doing great to be mostly freshmen. I think Butch will make the changes necessary to bring us back to the winning side of things. You can tell he hates to loose. We all knew this game was going to be ugly. Is it time to fire the OC? "Not in my opinion." I am not an expert by any means. I am just commenting on the things I see. We need to play in a way that is suitable to our players.

No doubt our play calling is not SEC level. O coordinator may be the first change CBJ makes on this staff.

Reactions: 1 person
The read option buys time with a weak o-line. That split second during the hand off defenses have to freeze their lbs to adjust, not only against the two possible runs but against the play action.
The coaching was fine. Clearly a lot of folks don't know anything about football on here. When the difference in the score is turnovers and a botched review, your scheme did its job.
The defensive scheme worked really well and the offensive scheme was hampered by the line. There is not an offense in football that would have made our line better. If we ran the pro form, we wouldn't have moved the ball at all and Worley would be dead right now.
One last thing, a year ago that game is humiliating. Two years ago it would have been the end of our season. This year we fought a great team for sixty minutes and lost. We have to okay more great teams and we may lose some more games, but the days of rolling over and quitting are over.

Reactions: 17 people
The read option buys time with a weak o-line. That split second during the hand off defenses have to freeze their lbs to adjust, not only against the two possible runs but against the play action.
The coaching was fine. Clearly a lot of folks don't know anything about football on here. When the difference in the score is turnovers and a botched review, your scheme did its job.
The defensive scheme worked really well and the offensive scheme was hampered by the line. There is not an offense in football that would have made our line better. If we ran the pro form, we wouldn't have moved the ball at all and Worley would be dead right now.
One last thing, a year ago that game is humiliating. Two years ago it would have been the end of our season. This year we fought a great team for sixty minutes and lost. We have to okay more great teams and we may lose some more games, but the days of rolling over and quitting are over.

Not running the ball on the 2nd pik is really the only issue. Last year Jake had no QB now he has no Oline. Next year he may not have much of either.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back