Positives

Aday25

Nerf This!
Here are some positives to take away:

1. Defense played really well, one or two blown assignments but they made Oklahoma work for everything they got. They kept us in the game even when our offense was sputtering.

2. Running the ball in the 2nd half showed improvement. The O-Line seemed to settle down a bit. Hurd almost had a 100 yard day, averaged around 6 ypc and has 23 yards receiving.

3. Despite the two costly INTs and the fumble (one Croom should have caught) in the end zone Worley hung in there despite a tough night being knocked around. Other then the one Int. for a TD he made good decisions and took some shots. He held the ball as long as he could to by time for the Wrs. We should be proud of his performance I think he showed a lot of leadership tonight.

4. Special teams played extremely well tonight! They got a turnover, blocked field goal, made a field goal, good coverage down the field on kickoffs and punts.

Biggest negative: O-line had a terrible night pass protecting, especially early. Started to see some improvements as the game went on but by that time Worely was shell shocked. Running game wasn't terrible statistically, but still would like to see improvement.

Luckily outside of Alabama this was probably the best defensive unit up front we will face all year. The freshmen really struggled early and they were wide eyed for sure. Great teaching tool to use for the next two weeks. They grew up a lot tonight guys. We have two weeks to prepare for a Georgia team that is certainly beatable. Look for the Georgia game for our guys to come out and play better.

Overall, closer game then the score suggests. Although Oklahoma was in control. If we had got that "fumble no call" to go our way and if Croom could have come down with that ball in the Endzone, it went through his hands, it would have been a very different ball game perspective wise. The 100 yard int return really hurt us and the overall 3 turnovers killed our chances. We had several chances to put points on the board and couldn't do it.

What I come away from this game is, I think we have a good shot at making some noise this year if our defense continues their mean streak. Cam Sutton way to lay some wood. AJ doing his thing as usual. It'll all come down to if the O-Line can get their act together. There's really one team that we will face with that kind of defensive front: Alabama. We have a shot to win a lot of, if not most of, the games we play this year, and we'll be at least competitive (I still think 7-5 should be the expectation this year). Past few years this would have been a 55-7 kind of game. Improvement despite some issues on the O-line…

What do y'all think? What are some positives that you saw from our boys? Except for the O-Line play what else needs work before we go to Athens?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
The scoreboard was horse manure if you ask me. Key mistakes is what we needed in our favor, but is what kept us out of the game. The heart behind the play is awesome. Proud to be a vol always. Butch got us going in the right direction. We are probably going to be scared soon because we are so used to disappointment that we expect the worse and think he will leave at the opportune time. Hope he's here for the long haul. Go vols. Few plays and we win/get way closer. Fired up about this defense for once in a blue moon.

Reactions: 2 people
on the Defensive side we played well on special teams but besides them and the fg unit we played bad special teams.

I mostly agree. Game was closer than the score indicates.

Special Teams needs some work. Devrin needs to stay I. The endzone if it's 3-5 yards deep. I don't know what is going on with punt returns (have we even attempted a return in 3 games?).

Oklahoma's defense is the best we will see all year. It was a great learning experience that will prepare us for SEC play.

You lost me at special teams played good tonight......Darr? Devrin?

Okay i give you Devrin trying to bring out the ball too much, but we didn't have hardly any return yards against us, our coverage was good, not any blown assignments. You only mention two guys to me, considering that special teams usually kills us in games like this I was happy with the performance. By the way Devrin started playing better …

Trying to stay positive. Special teams is plural, its more then two guys. Would you say the defense played terribly because a few guys blew assignments when overall they played extremely well? I stand by my statement.

Reactions: 1 person
I mostly agree. Game was closer than the score indicates.

Special Teams needs some work. Devrin needs to stay I. The endzone if it's 3-5 yards deep. I don't know what is going on with punt returns (have we even attempted a return in 3 games?).

He returned the last one. I love Cam but he has scared me 3 times by diving for a punt, he has to learn to back off on those.

He returned the last one. I love Cam but he has scared me 3 times by diving for a punt, he has to learn to back off on those.

I must have been looking away during that. Seems like it's been fair catch after fair catch all season.

Okay i give you Devrin trying to bring out the ball too much, but we didn't have hardly any return yards against us, our coverage was good, not any blown assignments. You only mention two guys to me, considering that special teams usually kills us in games like this I was happy with the performance. By the way Devrin started playing better …

Trying to stay positive. Special teams is plural, its more then two guys. Would you say the defense played terribly because a few guys blew assignments when overall they played extremely well? I stand by my statement.
So they were good because they didn't blow an assignment and coverage was good? That's really one in the same. That's what supposed to happen.

I mentioned two key special team players that touch the ball every time on special teams, and they didn't play good. Special teams, not so good tonight. Not to mention Sutton never had a chance to return a punt, because blocking was also not that good. I'm positive most off the time to, but not naive

Last edited:
Positives: Worley isn't in intensive care. To the best of my knowledge no one got hurt tonight.

We have two weeks to improve oline and they did some serious growing up in the second half. I think they were finally enjoying to run block...maybe because it was more effective than pass blocking.

We are brawlers who don't back down to anybody and we didn't lose our composure.

Next year our studs will have another year in the system and OK will send all those stud JR & SR linemen to the pros. Payback is coming! Besides AJ and Worley, the only others we could lose of consequence are JRs Randolph, Von and Maggitt.

Negatives: McNeil took a step back after two good games to open the season.

The schedule starts looking tougher after Vandy and Chattanooga: bama is looking better again, Ole Miss is very good. USCe is back from the dead, UK/FL/Mizzou/UGA are all tough but winnable games and we need to take at least two of them.

Was UK that much improved or was FL looking ahead to bamer/or FL still sucks like last year?

Hold on a second...Worley just got sacked again.

D played good with the exception of the 2 busted coverages.
Special Teams coverage was good.
2nd half running game was good.
Worley is tough as hell.

Those are my take aways on the positive side.
My only negative comment is that Worley needs to start keeping the ball early in games on the Read Option plays. It will change up how defenses defend against it. Especially if the first time they run it he keeps it. Also would love for them to start airing it out on 1st down some of the time. I have been told we have fast receivers. Lets let them try to burn past someone on a streak route on 1st down.

Bajakian is still too conservative calling plays.........why not send Malone deep just to keep them honest and PLEASE STOP running that damn JET SWEEP w/ Pig as if Teams have NEVER seen that play...................and why throw a JUMP BALL to your most inconsistent receiver (Croom)..................

Croom needs to run button hooks patterns and jus sit down in the zone..............and use him in blocking situations

So they were good because they didn't blow an assignment and coverage was good? That's really one in the same. That's what supposed to happen.

I mentioned two key special team players that touch the ball every time on special teams, and they didn't play good. Special teams, not so good tonight. Not to mention Sutton never had a chance to return a punt, because blocking was also not that good. I'm positive most off the time to, but not naive

There's more to special teams than just the guys who catch the ball. We had a blocked field goal, a fumble recovered on a punt, and we gave up very few yards on any returns while not making any mistakes of our own. If you could guarantee that to me every game, I'd take it without a second thought.

Bajakian is still too conservative calling plays.........why not send Malone deep just to keep them honest and PLEASE STOP running that damn JET SWEEP w/ Pig as if Teams have NEVER seen that play...................and why throw a JUMP BALL to your most inconsistent receiver (Croom)..................

On the play to Croom - I thought Worley could have run it in for a TD - but he already had taken a beating - so I really cant blame him.

VN Store

Back