Todd Kelly Jr. starting over Swafford?

AboveAllNations

Todd Kelly Jr. started last week in place of Brian Randolph, who was apparently banged up after the Utah State game. Now, however, it seems like Kelly might have won a permanent starting position at safety over Devaun Swafford.

After praising Kelly for his consistency and leadership skills, DB coach Willie Martinez was asked the following question about Devaun Swafford on Wednesday:

Q: With the size that Oklahoma is, can guys like Devaun Swafford play a role in games like this for you guys?

A. Yeah, absolutely. Obviously, his number one thing right now is to be the best special teams player, like a lot of guys, and when he gets his opportunity on defense to be prepared and be ready to go.

Although Martinez didn't say so explicitly, I'm taking this to mean that Randolph and Kelly are now our two starters at safety. Is starting a true freshman safety against Oklahoma the right move here? Notwithstanding the increased risk for a blown coverage or two, I say yes because his speed, size and tackling ability should help out in run support. Other thoughts?

Reactions: 2 people
Todd Kelly Jr. started last week in place of Brian Randolph, who was apparently banged up after the Utah State game. Now, however, it seems like Kelly might have won a permanent starting position at safety over Devaun Swafford.

After praising Kelly for his consistency and leadership skills, DB coach Willie Martinez was asked the following question about Devaun Swafford on Wednesday:

Although Martinez didn't say so explicitly, I'm taking this to mean that Randolph and Kelly are now our two starters at safety. Is starting a true freshman safety against Oklahoma the right move here? Notwithstanding the increased risk for a blown coverage or two, I say yes because his speed, size and tackling ability should help out in run support. Other thoughts?

Agree. More talented player with more upside should be on the field and it looks like he will be. That being said, I'm pretty sure McNeil has been starting at the other safety the first 2 games.

Reactions: 1 person
Obviously TK Jr is the better option. He's only a year younger and whip smart so it was only a matter of time.

Love Swafford's work ethic, though, and I'm glad we could reward it with a scholarship. Now we start to build a little depth hopefully.

I knew it wouldn't take long for Kelly to make his way into the starting line up. Kids a baller, happy to see him with a fumble recovery a couple of weeks ago. My favorite recruit from last years class.

I thought Mcneil replaced Swafford at *fs?* and TKjr was Randolphs backup at ss. Not 100% on the positons, might have them reversed

I would love to see McNeil unleashed on the QB. That young man can deliver some snot-bubblers. Just have to catch the perfect blitz situation.

I would love to see McNeil unleashed on the QB. That young man can deliver some snot-bubblers. Just have to catch the perfect blitz situation.

That line of snot bubbles is an old one. I use to say that in 1983 on my high school football team. We use to say "alright baby, let's get some snot bubbles today". Brings back some memories.

McNeil, not Kelly, started over Swafford. That doesn't mean Kelly can't eventually take the job, but for now, McNeil is our FS and Randolph our SS.

McNeil, not Kelly, started over Swafford. That doesn't mean Kelly can't eventually take the job, but for now, McNeil is our FS and Randolph our SS.

Huh? Todd Kelly Jr.'s official UT bio says he "made [his] first-career start at strong safety v. Arkansas State," and this was widely reported by the media as well. Where did you get that McNeil was starting?

Kelly started last week in place of Randolph, who played sparingly due to injury. Just like with our offensive line, I think we're seeing that there's no strict hierarchy on the depth chart between certain positions (e.g., left and right tackle, FS and SS, etc). Coach Jones simply wants to put the two best safeties on the field, and right now the pecking order is Randolph, Kelly, Swafford, and McNeil.

McNeil played well on special teams. Maybe that has earned him a spot? I still think Kelly is the one to have out there. Not just for future experience either.

TKjr is a mack truck back there with speed! A hard hitter that can keep up with anyone. Yes he should be starting. He has 2 games under his belt now full speed and never look back. This is the player we have been missing since EB was back there!

On a side note.. We will have along the same number of sr starters next year 5 or 6 on both sides of the ball. What team in the country can make that claim over 2 years?

Randolph
Maggitt
O Williams-Maybe
Crowder
Kerbyson
Jackson

If the freshman can come in and be that good that they start and do well in the SEC..bring it. Just imagine what these guys will be like when they are Juniors/Seniors..

Kelly is by far the stronger more physical player. I expect he will be in there for the rest of the season. He can really lay the wood to receivers I expect he will cause a couple fumbles before the season is over.

Todd Kelly certainly laid the wood to that ASU WR(rb?) last week. Kid bounced backward @ a yard.

Huh? Todd Kelly Jr.'s official UT bio says he "made [his] first-career start at strong safety v. Arkansas State," and this was widely reported by the media as well. Where did you get that McNeil was starting?

Kelly started last week in place of Randolph, who played sparingly due to injury. Just like with our offensive line, I think we're seeing that there's no strict hierarchy on the depth chart between certain positions (e.g., left and right tackle, FS and SS, etc). Coach Jones simply wants to put the two best safeties on the field, and right now the pecking order is Randolph, Kelly, Swafford, and McNeil.

Kelly started for Randolph but Mcneil started in place of Swafford. Think Randolph and Mcneil start this week. Kelly will play a lot. McNeil worries me about getting a PF he comes in late and delivers hits but he is aggressive and otherwise I like his toughness.

Arkasas St

CB: Williams, Sutton
FS: McNeil
SS: Kelly
NKL: Coleman

Utah ST

CB: Sutton, Coleman
SS: McNeil
FS: Randolph
DB: Williams

That's from UT sports. Swafford hasn't actually started a game yet.

Kelly was slotted to get a bunch of time regardless in this 4-2-5 alignment.

McNeil, like Coleman , is a liability in coverage. Hope tkj is starting.

sadly this is true. dang when was the last time Coleman didnt get burned for 6 in a bigtime game? He got torched the second he got put in against UTst and blew the shutout. I have love for anybody that gives their all for the orange, but if a kid cant cover keep him on the sidelines coach.

I'm pretty sure I read this week that TKjr started last week in place of Randolph, but when Randolph had to come in and play he replaced McNeil and not TKjr. That leads me to believe that TKjr is gonna be in the field regardless of who the other starter is.

VN Store

Back