Concerned about our punt team snap cadence

TechnoVol

I've noticed the first two games, especially Arkansas State, where teams are getting a very quick headstart on our snap count.

We utilize 3 protectors in front of Darr. Danny O'Brien in the middle walks up to center and then back before making a quick, punching arm motion to initiate the snap.

In both games so far it almost looks as if teams are using O'Brien's arm motion to predict the snap of the ball and help them beat us off the snap . Even with 3 protectors, we are getting pressure on Darr from the outside with a couple of punts almost being blocked.

Sounds like they have worked on special teams a lot this week, hopefully, the coaching staff has addressed this situation specifically.

Reactions: 1 person
I've noticed the first two games, especially Arkansas State, where teams are getting a very quick headstart on our snap count.

We utilize 3 protectors in front of Darr. Danny O'Brien in the middle walks up to center and then back before making a quick, punching arm motion to initiate the snap.

In both games so far it almost looks as if teams are using O'Brien's arm motion to predict the snap of the ball and help them beat us off the snap . Even with 3 protectors, we are getting pressure on Darr from the outside with a couple of punts almost being blocked.

Sounds like they have worked on special teams a lot this week, hopefully, the coaching staff has addressed this situation specifically.

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't noticed the same thing and been concerned as well.

Reactions: 2 people
This has been driving me crazy! I could not figure out why we weren't adjusting when our punts were nearly getting blocked. I never thought about it as baiting future opponents for for critical situations though... Brilliant.

Makes you wonder what other bait Butch has out there...

It always amazes me that we have all these coaches on here, some who have probably never played football making suggestions. Do we think that our coaches are that dumb? If they are, they don't need to be coaching. I have faith in Butch Jones and his staff in making the Vols the best they can be. So please just let them do just that. If you guys are so good at recognizing and implementing schemes and coaching, please put your resumes in right now. :loco:

Reactions: 1 person

Is this allowed on the family friendly SEC network?

Very Good Observation OP . I saw the same things , but I am sure so has the Coaching Staff. Butch preaches Special Teams play and this will be changed. Just like some people have posted.. This could be setting teams up to jump offside down the road as well.. lol hopefully.

Arkansas State was going all out to win that game last week. They sent extra guys every time we punted to try and swing the momentum in that game. Soo don't look to much into the protection.. But I am sure Oklahoma will do the same because of that tape from last week.

Well this is just great. Now when the OU coaches read this thread, they are going to know that we know that they know the snap count.:)

Well this is just great. Now when the OU coaches read this thread, they are going to know that we know that they know the snap count.:)

So its a mind game.

From OU's stand point, they may be suspect of the bait, so they play it straight.

Do we see this coming? Maybe. Maybe we continue to do the same thing against OU for the first punt or two to place more bait for them. Then, they start anticipating, and we catch them with the change-up when it counts.

However; its a gamble. If OU reads the "bait" cadence like Utah and Arkansas St., then they could blow by us and catch us with our hands down our pants. Punt blocked, momentum changed, etc.

In summary: I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Reactions: 3 people
bet ou gets called for offside on a punt that gives us a first down. do you think our coaches dont notice

I agree with this 100%. If it's noticeable to us Joe Schmo's in the stands, you can bet the men that are getting paid to be there have taken note.

From what I know about it, the way that's supposed to work is the up-man signals the punt team is set, and the longsnapper snaps when ready. Shouldn't be an actual cadence for the punt team. So it's on the longsnapper to vary the amount of time between the "set signal" and the actual snap.

Most teams have limited to no cadence on punt. They say "set", but nothing else. Then the snapper goes when he is ready.

bigger things to worry about. like not being able to run the ball, Worley being pressured throwing incomplete on 3 straight downs and then punting all while taking 15 seconds off the clock!

ARK State was sending the house, 5 potential blockers...I think it had Darr a bit off balance 1/2 half

Most teams have limited to no cadence on punt. They say "set", but nothing else. Then the snapper goes when he is ready.

Was just about to point this out. It's not like the Punter is yelling Down Set Hut from deep punt formation. Everybody is going on the ball offensively and defensively.

Very Good Observation OP . I saw the same things , but I am sure so has the Coaching Staff. Butch preaches Special Teams play and this will be changed. Just like some people have posted.. This could be setting teams up to jump offside down the road as well.. lol hopefully.

Arkansas State was going all out to win that game last week. They sent extra guys every time we punted to try and swing the momentum in that game. Soo don't look to much into the protection.. But I am sure Oklahoma will do the same because of that tape from last week.
I'm going to go with we are just not executing at a high level.... However that suggestion does sound good.

VN Store

Back