OU vs VOLS Injury Report

Wow, our injuries don't look so bad now. The could be missing 15 players come gametime.

Every player who has started the first two games for OU will start/play Sat. Walker is a key sub and Dimon & Wade are expected to be back for the Vol. game. All the other names are simply not players who would have made any contribution either because they were never eligible or were far down the depth chart.

Shannon is now officially done this year so his absence does create a depth problem for us at MLB. We are also thin @ QB. If TK goes down, we would turn to a RSF who has only taken a few snaps in mop up duty vs Tulsa.

Sanchez seems to be ok but it remains to be seen how well he will perform Sat. He is a key player in our back 4.

The back 4 could be the chink in ou's armor. :question:

That is true. An inexperienced secondary even with Sanchez in the game. Wade at linebacker is important because of depth where we were already thin due to Shannon being forced to sit a year by OU.

Now that Shannon is out, the starting MLB is So. Jordan Evans. His dad was an all Big 8 lineman under Switzer. If Evans is out he will be replaced by a former walk-on who just received a scholly, Sr. Caleb Gastelum.

Our back 4/5 will have three returning starters but how they will line up will be the difference from last year. Sanchez at one corner is back & starting "Nickel",Sr Julian Wilson has been moved to the other corner, replacing graduated Aaron Colvin. Sr Quentin Hayes will start at SS & he is a returning starter. When we go to the "Nickel" he will move to the Nickel back position and So. Hatari Byrd will play FS. You will also see a lot of So. safety Ahmad Thomas as well as true freshman safety, Steven Parker. All these young safeties are emblematic of our recent trend to bigger, more physical DB's. All of them are at least 6' tall and carry more than 200lbs. We are seeing more & more tall physical WR's in the Big 12 so we are recruiting to match these receivers.

I would not characterize our secondary as a weakness. I guess comparatively speaking, compared to our front 7, you could say that but realistically, this is a solid back 4/5.

I have been following the OU program for the better part of 60 years. My Godfather, Waddy Young, was OU's first consensus All-American and he played in the Orange Bowl game vs Tennessee in the late '30's. He was a B-29 pilot and went down over the Pacific in WWII so I never met him. My point is that I have watched a lot of OU football & this is about as complete a team we have had in the Stoops era. Our size, speed, & athleticism is extraordinary. Having said this, nothing is guaranteed. Stoops' teams have been known to occasionally play down to an opponent. On paper this is a mismatch, but fortunately, they don't play the game on paper.
I have said it on other threads on this forum but OU fans are truly excited to be hosting a program like Tennessee's. We recognize your tradition and we respect it.

Reactions: 5 people
Now that Shannon is out, the starting MLB is So. Jordan Evans. His dad was an all Big 8 lineman under Switzer. If Evans is out he will be replaced by a former walk-on who just received a scholly, Sr. Caleb Gastelum.

Our back 4/5 will have three returning starters but how they will line up will be the difference from last year. Sanchez at one corner is back & starting "Nickel",Sr Julian Wilson has been moved to the other corner, replacing graduated Aaron Colvin. Sr Quentin Hayes will start at SS & he is a returning starter. When we go to the "Nickel" he will move to the Nickel back position and So. Hatari Byrd will play FS. You will also see a lot of So. safety Ahmad Thomas as well as true freshman safety, Steven Parker. All these young safeties are emblematic of our recent trend to bigger, more physical DB's. All of them are at least 6' tall and carry more than 200lbs. We are seeing more & more tall physical WR's in the Big 12 so we are recruiting to match these receivers.

I would not characterize our secondary as a weakness. I guess comparatively speaking, compared to our front 7, you could say that but realistically, this is a solid back 4/5.

I have been following the OU program for the better part of 60 years. My Godfather, Waddy Young, was OU's first consensus All-American and he played in the Orange Bowl game vs Tennessee in the late '30's. He was a B-29 pilot and went down over the Pacific in WWII so I never met him. My point is that I have watched a lot of OU football & this is about as complete a team we have had in the Stoops era. Our size, speed, & athleticism is extraordinary. Having said this, nothing is guaranteed. Stoops' teams have been known to occasionally play down to an opponent. On paper this is a mismatch, but fortunately, they don't play the game on paper.
I have said it on other threads on this forum but OU fans are truly excited to be hosting a program like Tennessee's. We recognize your tradition and we respect it.

Since he is gone, I will thank you for his service as part of the Greatest Generation. I hope he is flying through blue skies and white clouds as we speak.

Thank you and obviously, as you shuffle thru the posts on VN, you can see the respect we have for your Sooners.

The majority of our fan base doesn't expect a win against OU (this year), but we always go into every game with a winning attitude and plenty of grit!!

Cheers to a good competitive game with minimal injuries!!!

Reactions: 1 person
Every player who has started the first two games for OU will start/play Sat. Walker is a key sub and Dimon & Wade are expected to be back for the Vol. game. All the other names are simply not players who would have made any contribution either because they were never eligible or were far down the depth chart.

Shannon is now officially done this year so his absence does create a depth problem for us at MLB. We are also thin @ QB. If TK goes down, we would turn to a RSF who has only taken a few snaps in mop up duty vs Tulsa.

Sanchez seems to be ok but it remains to be seen how well he will perform Sat. He is a key player in our back 4.

What exactly was his injury? Granted, I wish him a speedy, complete recovery, I'm just curious because I'll be watching to see if it affects his play.

RE: Sanchez.....@ first it appeared to be a shoulder injury but x-rays proved negative. The comments from the coaches have been that it was simply a stinger. There is also speculation that it was a deep upper arm bruise.
If anything, I guess it could affect his tackling. Our staff is never forthcoming about any injuries. In fact, Sanchez could well be in intensive care now knowing our staff and it's consistent minimizing of player injuries and availability.
It's a running joke around the program that if Stoops says someone is dinged up, it means they are comatose.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back