If VA Tech can beat Ohio State, why wouldn't we have a shot?

tennesseekilt

I'll begin this post by acknowledging our youth & inexperience as well as our tremendous attrition the past several years. Everyone knows the recruiting rankings don't tell the entire story. However, after watching a considerably less 'talented' VA Tech dominate a perennial top 5 recruiting (and ranking) power in Ohio State last week, I can't help but think we might at least hang with OU, if not have a mild chance of pulling the upset.

Here are the average Rivals recruiting ratings the last four years for the teams involved in both games:

Virginia Tech 26
Ohio State 5

Tennessee 15
Oklahoma 14

Of course, our best talent heavily leans young, but there's no reason to think, with some luck and the right coaching, that we couldn't pull this one out. At the very least, we shouldn't go into the game with any kind of inferiority complex, which seems to be the attitude of some posters here. They play the game for a reason!

Reactions: 3 people
OSU lost Miller. He was a large portion of the offense. It will take the perfect storm for us to pull off the upset.

Ohio St. was and still is way overrated,didn't Clemson blow the buckeyes out in bowl last season? beamer ball always coaches his talent up

Reactions: 3 people
Not fair to compare Ohio State and Oklahoma. Stoops is a legitimate Top 5 coach and Urban Meyer is a Top 5 Illusionist. Meyer could honestly give Criss Angel a run for his money. I agree with the aforementioned comments about Braxton Miller. Once he went down, their season went up in smoke. Similar to how Notre Dame looks now that they have Gholsten back. It will be hard for our defensive line to complete with the Sooners. I think this is where we will get exposed. All other areas, even offensive line, I think we can and will compete. I think we keep things close, but lack of depth and inexperience gets us in the 4th quarter. Maybe a 35-21 game?

Reactions: 1 person
I'll begin this post by acknowledging our youth & inexperience as well as our tremendous attrition the past several years. Everyone knows the recruiting rankings don't tell the entire story. However, after watching a considerably less 'talented' VA Tech dominate a perennial top 5 recruiting (and ranking) power in Ohio State last week, I can't help but think we might at least hang with OU, if not have a mild chance of pulling the upset.

Here are the average Rivals recruiting ratings the last four years for the teams involved in both games:

Virginia Tech 26
Ohio State 5

Tennessee 15
Oklahoma 14

Of course, our best talent heavily leans young, but there's no reason to think, with some luck and the right coaching, that we couldn't pull this one out. At the very least, we shouldn't go into the game with any kind of inferiority complex, which seems to be the attitude of some posters here. They play the game for a reason!

T.O.S.U. (The Ohio State University) lost their starting q.b.; which was a large part of their offense.

OSU lost a qb that was like ,>60% of off... OU has their qb..

This is being said a lot, but they still have AVERAGE top 5 recruiting classes the last 4 years! Surely a team with that kind of talent can manage to not get dominated by a team that finishes 20 spots below them recruiting without ONE player...

We probably lose to OU, but I think we have a chance. Some of you guys are talking like we shouldn't bother suiting up. Is it too late to buy them out?

Virginia Tech has an excellent defense, and they have an offense that pairs very well with that (ball control, simplified pro-style concepts, etc.). They were also playing an Ohio State team that was without their Heisman hopeful at QB on offense, and were playing a defense that is in the first year of a scheme change.

Not fair to compare Ohio State and Oklahoma. Stoops is a legitimate Top 5 coach and Urban Meyer is a Top 5 Illusionist. Meyer could honestly give Criss Angel a run for his money. I agree with the aforementioned comments about Braxton Miller. Once he went down, their season went up in smoke. Similar to how Notre Dame looks now that they have Gholsten back. It will be hard for our defensive line to complete with the Sooners. I think this is where we will get exposed. All other areas, even offensive line, I think we can and will compete. I think we keep things close, but lack of depth and inexperience gets us in the 4th quarter. Maybe a 35-21 game?

I'm not a fan of either, but if I'm not mistaken, Meyer out coached Stoops in a national championship several years ago when OK supposedly had the better team. I think Stoops is one of the most overrated coaches in America. Again, I can't stand Stoops either.

I for one think we will be in the game starting the 4th quarter. That being said our situation is different for variety of reasons. Our most green positions are opposite side of Oklahoma's strength. Our O line will have to rise up to battle Sooners D Line. Virginia Tech as mentioned earlier knew Ohio States weakness and blitzed that young qb all night and obviously was the right thing. We need to exploit the Sooners weakness what ever that is and see what happens. I trust Butch and the staff have what they want to do with circumstances and see how players handle it.

Oklahoma is a better team than the way over rated Ohio State, who doesn't have their starting QB

Defense needs to play really really well. Not sold on OU's QB yet. If we can stop the running game and force them to throw maybe we have a chance.

VT beat OSU mainly because of Miller not playing. I think it's insane that VT jumped from unranked to 17 in the AP.

OSU lost its starting QB, VaTech has a real good D. OU has its starter, and we have a good D.

stoops has coached OU with how many titles? don't like him, but urby has 2, and won at multiple places.

Virginia tech looks better than it has in a few years. Their defense was stout.

This game will hinge on our line play on both sides. Not sure our lines are good enough but of course I hope they will shock the world.

VT beat OSU mainly because of Miller not playing. I think it's insane that VT jumped from unranked to 17 in the AP.

Classic overreaction to media darlings. That defensive scheme worked blitzing all night on an inexperienced confused qb. If they play a qb with more savvy not even more talent. Those qbs will check down all game and make Virginia Tech pay for blitzing so much.

Last edited:
Defense needs to play really really well. Not sold on OU's QB yet. If we can stop the running game and force them to throw maybe we have a chance.

It's obvious you get your information from ESPN. They are the only ones who say this. Anyone who has watched him knows he's the real deal. He my get a little over-excited once in a while and overthrow a receiver but he'll bounce back and break a 30 yard run on the next play Oh, and a little stat for you: OU has never lost a game that he has started. Let that sink in :)

Saban believes, why don't you??

We might have a chance if Oklahoma has to go to their 2nd string QB.

No, wait. I forgot about how we're UT and we can't handle 2nd string QBs.

Scratch that idea.

Urban Meyer is one of the most overrated coaches in Division I football. He struggles to adapt his scheme to his personnel. We saw that at Florida after Tebow left and now at Ohio State with Miller gone. He can only win with a very specific type of quarterback, apart from that he is very average. That's why Virginia tech won in my opinion

I think we hang in there for the first half. We don't have the experience on the defensive and offensive line to make a push against OU.

I'm not a fan of either, but if I'm not mistaken, Meyer out coached Stoops in a national championship several years ago when OK supposedly had the better team. I think Stoops is one of the most overrated coaches in America. Again, I can't stand Stoops either.

One word- TEBOW. Tebow was the guiding force on that team. I think Meyer realized how hard it is to maintain winning in the SEC and took the road out of Gainesville.

VN Store

Back