the Read Option and the Running Game

governmentmule

as always Go Lady Vols :clapping:
what do you think about it ? I haven't been really impressed with it so far,Worley has been looking really good passing from it

but it looks to me that it is hurting the run game and we all know you need to have a solid running game in the SEC

i know that the read option needs a running Quarter Back to make it work,UT doesn't have that,and no Dobbs evidently isn't the answer,he had his chance last year to take over the team and he hasn't

what is the average running play ? 3.7 yards per carry,counting Worleys yards?

to me the running plays are slow to develop and when the Offensive Line does open up a hole,it closes quickly,while they are doing the slow hand off in the back field

I have no idea what they will do to fix it.or if they will do something different come Saturday night,the Vols will need to control the clock and make first downs

I'm sure most of you have had some thoughts along the same line,what do you think the Vols will do something different come Saturday or will it look the same ?

It can be very effective in your QB is considered a true threat to run vs a courtesy run a few times a game.

Reactions: 3 people
I just hope Worley will keep the ball at least 3-6 times per game. He might not be a serious threat to take the ball down the field on any of those keeps, but at least it forces their D to stay honest. And that might be what keeps that hole Lane or Hurd needs to be open for just a second longer.

Reactions: 1 person
I think Butch Jones has a system and he aint changing it.
Oline has to learn the zone blocking concepts better and get to 2nd level
RB's must hit the gap that comes open or hit the cutback lane
MOST importantly they must gain experience so they can learn to get to 2nd level, hit the cutback, etc...

He doesnt run a straight up run game, his entire offense and much of his passing game is built upon a read. I kind of applaud him, he has a vision and he is working to build it. We arent going undefeated this year and most likely loose to the big boys (albeit a possible upset). Why not stick with your system gain a year experience so next summer camp and season they are working on player development and not re-teaching his sytem again.

The alternative is to not have a system panic and throw out what you have spent all summer building. Thats called Derek Dooley btw.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
Worley is more mobile than most give him credit for. I dont think the coaches want him running a lot for fear of injury. Worley gives us a shot - the back ups give us no shot.

The running game looks bad because the OL, plain and simple. This is the same offense that amassed the most rushing yards in a season in something like 8 years last year. The OL will get better as the year goes by, and I believe the running game will follow suite.

Reactions: 4 people
what do you think about it ? I haven't been really impressed with it so far,Worley has been looking really good passing from it

but it looks to me that it is hurting the run game and we all know you need to have a solid running game in the SEC

i know that the read option needs a running Quarter Back to make it work,UT doesn't have that,and no Dobbs evidently isn't the answer,he had his chance last year to take over the team and he hasn't

what is the average running play ? 3.7 yards per carry,counting Worleys yards?

to me the running plays are slow to develop and when the Offensive Line does open up a hole,it closes quickly,while they are doing the slow hand off in the back field

I have no idea what they will do to fix it.or if they will do something different come Saturday night,the Vols will need to control the clock and make first downs

I'm sure most of you have had some thoughts along the same line,what do you think the Vols will do something different come Saturday or will it look the same ?

The only thing hurting the running game right now is a young, inexperienced OL.

Reactions: 3 people
I would like to see us you the pistol like this:

search

The running backs coach, Gillespie, is on record saying he's not bothered by our RBs not being able to bust loose for more than six yards. Therefore, I'd say the buck stops with him.

Agreed.

We run out of the I on short yardage with Worley under center. I would like to see more of that on first down. I think are backs would be more effective out of the I.
JMO off course.

If this is the case, then they shouldn't be running the read option in the first place.

We don't run the "read option". For lack of a better term, we run a "power spread" that occasionally allows the QB to pull a handoff if the DE crashes down too hard.

Agreed.

We run out of the I on short yardage with Worley under center. I would like to see more of that on first down. I think are backs would be more effective out of the I.
JMO off course.

If we line up in the I on first down everyone in the stadium is going to know whats coming. Our O-line is good enough to get 8 or 9 guys blocked up.

I suspect that we may see Pig at QB running some Read Option at some point Saturday just for a change of pace.

Look as South Carolina. They run the ball just fine within a running quarterback.

Our problem is our offensive line and young RB.

After reading all these post... Makes me wonder why CBJ keeps taking commitments from Pro-style QB???

A good example would be that kid in Texas....

that is sad Special Ed

the running game just looks really slow developing,there standing in the back field,doing fake hand offs and slowing the play down

of course that is the way it looks to me,there going to have to do something different in my opinion :)

Worley is more mobile than most give him credit for. I dont think the coaches want him running a lot for fear of injury. Worley gives us a shot - the back ups give us no shot.

The running game looks bad because the OL, plain and simple. This is the same offense that amassed the most rushing yards in a season in something like 8 years last year. The OL will get better as the year goes by, and I believe the running game will follow suite.

Agreed 100%....I really hope this O-Line starts developing quick!

Look as South Carolina. They run the ball just fine within a running quarterback.

Our problem is our offensive line and young RB.

Yep. The notion that you can't run from the spread without a running QB is goofy. By that logic, you'd need a running QB to run from any formation.

When your OL is young and or not to the talent level you need and your QB is not a threat to pull it down it can actually make it more difficult to get RBs going. The delay (read) extends the time the OL have to sustain blocks, if they are not very good you are actually giving the DLs and LBs longer to get to the hole and crash on the RB given the QB is not a threat the majority of the time.

Having said that, you don't need Vick, RG3, or Vince Young to be a threat. And you don't need a QB pulling it down every other running play. But if the D is not respecting it, its because they are not seeing it. You can gain the respect needed with minimal gains by the QB. Big gains are just icing.

Given our current predicament, I would go more toward a running game that gets the ball in the RBs hands quicker thus getting them down hill quicker. The read or delay is not really gaining anything at this point and in my opinion is actually hurting a situation that is struggling to begin with.

The QB is supposed to read the defensive end on the read option and determine whether or not to keep it. If the end crashes then he is aupposed to keep it. The problem is, the ends are crashing eveytime and Worley will not keep it. He looks to have an easy 5 yard gain on alot of these plays but he hands it off almost everytime. For the read option to be effective, he has to start keeping a few to keep the defense honest.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back