Are We One Year Behind Ole Miss?

VolnJC

Rewatched the Ole Miss dismantling of Candy again last night. I know they had a great class two years ago. Could we be where they are this year (top 20 team) next year or are they they much more talented?

I remember being there watching a Dooley led team dismantle Ole Piss when we sucked! We will never be behind ole miss!

Reactions: 2 people
Reasonable observation. I think a pre-season rank of 20 or higher, like Ole Piss started with this year, would be welcomed around here in 2015.

Reactions: 1 person
Reasonable observation. I think a pre-season rank of 20 or higher, like Ole Piss started with this year, would be welcomed around here in 2015.

We'll need to finish at least 6-6, win our bowl game, and ink another top 10 class on NSD for that to happen.

Honestly, I think our ceiling is way higher than Ole Miss. They have always been an up and down program and have really never consistently been at the top of the SEC. They usually have 2-3 good years then fade back. Tennessee generally spends at least a decade at the top before fading back.

Rewatched the Ole Miss dismantling of Candy again last night. I know they had a great class two years ago. Could we be where they are this year (top 20 team) next year or are they they much more talented?

They weren't more talented when Freeze took over. He took over a 2-10 team. But he made huge strides in his first year, improving them by 5 wins, and more strides in his second, beating a solid out-of-conference opponent (Texas) on the road and beating a highly ranked SEC opponent (LSU). I would like to think we're at that point, and this season will tell, but sadly I don't think so. The thing many of the apologists on this board seem to miss is that, when your program is in a major hole, at some point you have to take big steps to get out of it. We haven't seen that on the field yet, just baby steps. Here's hoping we do eventually see it.

Back to back weeks of should have beat Ga and beating SC is baby steps sorry oregonvol I disagree! I was at both games and saw a change in this program right then! Ps the Ga game was when I met Preston and that is what I believed made him all Vawls!

Honestly, I think our ceiling is way higher than Ole Miss. They have always been an up and down program and have really never consistently been at the top of the SEC. They usually have 2-3 good years then fade back. Tennessee generally spends at least a decade at the top before fading back.
That depends on your frame of reference. When I was growing up in the 50's and 60's, Ole Miss was at or near the top of college football.

They won 6 SEC titles in 17 years, 3 Natl Champs, and had the 2nd best overall record (behind Okla) in the decade of the 50's, and the 4th best overall record in college football in the 1960's. All of this was under Johnny Vaught. I also remember them dismantling a highly ranked U.T. team when I was a student in 1969 ( I think) 38-0.

So, it has been awhile, but they were consistently at the top of the SEC for about 20 years. For comparison, U.T. has only had about 15-20 years near the top in the last 40.

I am not sure how far we are behind them....but I will say this...our road to Atlanta is much shorter. We are 2-3 years away from being able to consistently compete for the East. Does ANYONE see them EVER getting to Atlanta with Bama, Auburn, LSU, and A&M? Which is one more reason I don't understand Richmond committing to them today. I guess title potential doesn't mean as much to some.

That depends on your frame of reference. When I was growing up in the 50's and 60's, Ole Miss was at or near the top of college football.

They won 6 SEC titles in 17 years, 3 Natl Champs, and had the 2nd best overall record (behind Okla) in the decade of the 50's, and the 4th best overall record in college football in the 1960's. All of this was under Johnny Vaught. I also remember them dismantling a highly ranked U.T. team when I was a student in 1969 ( I think) 38-0.

So, it has been awhile, but they were consistently at the top of the SEC for about 20 years. For comparison, U.T. has only had about 15-20 years near the top in the last 40.

You are out of your mind!! Your post is the most absurd thing I have ever seen. Tennessee has been, at all times, throughout all football history better than Ole Miss.

Tennessee has won 6 National Championships 38, 40, 50, 51, 67, 98. Tennessee has won 16 Conference titles. Tennessee has had 38 All-Americans. Tennessee's all time record is 863-361-53.

Ole Miss has only had 6 conference titles. That means we have won the National Championship as many times as they won the SEC. They have only won 3 National Championships and have only 11 All-Americans. Ole Miss all time record is 637-497-35.

There has never been a 20 year period in which Ole Miss has won more games than Tennessee. Head to head, Tennessee is 43-18-1. The only thing Ole Miss football does better than Tennessee is lose football games.

Next year, the team with the better QB will be the better team. Both teams will be replacing their QB. We will be comparable or better in talent across the board.

Reactions: 4 people
They weren't more talented when Freeze took over. He took over a 2-10 team. But he made huge strides in his first year, improving them by 5 wins, and more strides in his second, beating a solid out-of-conference opponent (Texas) on the road and beating a highly ranked SEC opponent (LSU). I would like to think we're at that point, and this season will tell, but sadly I don't think so. The thing many of the apologists on this board seem to miss is that, when your program is in a major hole, at some point you have to take big steps to get out of it. We haven't seen that on the field yet, just baby steps. Here's hoping we do eventually see it.

behind ? probably not,they should be about the same talent wise,2 good recruiting classes,so about equal at this point,CBJ and company have to keep the great recruiting classes going and they are

You are out of your mind!! Your post is the most absurd thing I have ever seen. Tennessee has been, at all times, throughout all football history better than Ole Miss.

I don't think that was the argument the poster was trying to make. His point was that ole miss does have some credibility behind the program, and that success is in the history, albeit very long ago. UT is certainly a more relevant team in the last 40 or so years, but both programs have had periods of sustained success.

I don't think so. UT is on a different trajectory than Ole Miss. Freeze had one great class then didn't maintain. It looks like Jones is maintaining and even getting some better players.

That should allow UT to pass Ole Miss sooner rather than later.

VN Store

Back