OU Front 7 vs. UT OL: A Nightmare Matchup?

olbemw7

A lot has been made of Oklahoma's front 7 versus our OL, with most everyone saying that the OU game is a disastrous match up for Tennessee.

But I think people are overlooking a few things and that the match up may not have as big of an impact as some think... our offense is up tempo and built around short, quick routes, swing passes, and bubble screens, which should help to neutralize the effects of an elite front 7. Most plays we run allow Worley to get the ball out of his hands very quickly and don't give even the best pass rushers enough time to reach the QB.

Not only that, but OU's weakness (if they really have one) is their secondary. We should be able to use our big physical receivers to block Oklahoma's CBs and create space for Pig on the outside.

Sure, we might not be able to run the ball. We also probably won't be able give Worley enough time to be successful with deep passes either. But consider this: we only ran for 110 yds against Utah State, connected on approximately zero deep balls, yet we won 38 to 7.

Some people are acting like our offensive gameplan is to pound the run in order to suck the defense in and open up the deep pass (Alabama, anyone?)... and if that were the case, we'd be screwed. But it's not.

I'm not saying the match up won't cause some issues, but I think (/ hope) its being overstated when you look at it in context of the type of offense we run.

Reactions: 12 people
A lot has been made of Oklahoma's front 7 versus our OL, with most everyone saying that the OU game is a disastrous match up for Tennessee.

But I think people are overlooking a few things and that the match up may not have as big of an impact as some think... our offense is up tempo and built around short, quick routes, swing passes, and bubble screens, which should help to neutralize the effects of an elite front 7. Most plays we run allow Worley to get the ball out of his hands very quickly and don't give even the best pass rushers enough time to reach the QB.

Not only that, but OU's weakness (if they really have one) is their secondary. We should be able to use our big physical receivers to block Oklahoma's CBs and create space for Pig on the outside.

Sure, we might not be able to run the ball. We also probably won't be able give Worley enough time to be successful with deep passes either. But consider this: we only ran for 110 yds against Utah State, connected on approximately zero deep balls, yet we won 38 to 7.

Some people are acting like our offensive gameplan is to pound the run in order to suck the defense in and open up the deep pass (Alabama, anyone?)... and if that were the case, we'd be screwed. But it's not.

I'm not saying the match up won't cause some issues, but I think (/ hope) its being overstated when you look at it in context of the type of offense we run.

Makes sense to me!

Just got to give Worley enough time so he's not having to run and throw in desperation. I don't think they will have to stack the box. North and a few other receivers are going to have to help out by not dropping what comes to them and get some yards after the catch.

Reactions: 2 people
Oklahoma is overrated ..infect most overrated after Ohio state. Texas beat the crap out of them last year ..I lived in Oklahoma for 5 years and Stoops teams have a weird knack of losing easy games ..Hope they think of us as one of those easy ones ..

Oklahoma is overrated ..infect most overrated after Ohio state. Texas beat the crap out of them last year ..I lived in Oklahoma for 5 years and Stoops teams have a weird knack of losing easy games ..Hope they think of us as one of those easy ones ..

We are... lol

Reactions: 3 people

I just want to know why your spell check defaulted to "infect"?

Reactions: 3 people

I am looking for any excuse or reason to be optimistic about this game. You make a good case, but if I were a betting man, my money would be on the Sooners.

A matchup problem? Not if we run reverses, double reverses, fake double reverses, flea flickers, and statue of liberty all night! Bring it!

So wait it's a good sign that we couldn't run or throw the deep ball against inferior opponents? Is that what you just said?

we will have to spread their front 7 out, Worley must get the ball out quick to the wideouts

Sigh... And you guys wonder why we get made fun of on TV. We are going to get utterly annihilated.

Reactions: 1 person
The problem is we get no push in the run game. The Los did not move consistently on our run plays vs utah or ark st. The bodies that okla is gonna throw at our ol will more than likely move the Los back a yard or two. Our 4 yard runs will turn into 2 yard losses I believe. I sure hope I'm wrong.

Sigh... And you guys wonder why we get made fun of on TV. We are going to get utterly annihilated.

Have to agree. If we can't run the ball effectively versus Arky State and Utah State, what do people think is going to happen versus Oklahoma?

So wait it's a good sign that we couldn't run or throw the deep ball against inferior opponents? Is that what you just said?

You have no idea on how to set up for an ambush do you!

OK = Gen Custer (Some Irony in play here).
TN = Lakota and Cheyenne Warriors at Little Big Horn.

What's the Indian word for BOOM?

The problem is we get no push in the run game. The Los did not move consistently on our run plays vs utah or ark st. The bodies that okla is gonna throw at our ol will more than likely move the Los back a yard or two. Our 4 yard runs will turn into 2 yard losses I believe. I sure hope I'm wrong.

They are sandbagging! Waiting for some real competition.

VN Store

Back