What Other Message Boards Are Saying: Sooners Edition

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
There was a plethora of different Oklahoma boards to explore this past week, which is a refreshing change from our first 2 opponents. They have a ton of fans, and they are pretty convinced they are the top dogs this year, as they are not impressed with Bama/FSU/Auburn etc. Anyways, here's what the Sooner faithful saying about hosting the Vols this weekend:

-They are really downplaying our first 2 opponents. I don't know if maybe they think Tulsa was a more quality win than ours or what, but they certainly aren't discussing Tulsa like they were a 3-win C-USA team last year.

-As suspected, they are very concerned about their injuries. A lot of debating going on, but the general mindset is that the large amount of them that think their injuries alone may keep this one somewhat close.

-They all seem to be concerned about special teams, namely return coverage. Apparently that's a big question mark for them.

-Seems like UT and OU fans are getting along very well on their boards. They are very welcoming and very appreciative of team insight. This is also a refreshing change, as Tennessee posters aren't constantly fighting the little-man syndrome we dealt with the past 2 weeks.

-They are confident, which is to be expected, but they are nervous about coming to Neyland next year. A lot of "We will probably win this one, but next year in Neyland will be a battle" talk.

-They have a LOT of concern about our receivers vs. their DB's, and that's the best news I've heard all day. Apparently due to injuries they will be young and inexperienced in the secondary.

-Their confidence lies in their D-Line. They believe that will be the game-breaker for us. They have a lot of confidence in their pass rush and ability to stop the run.

-There is a thread referencing this thread http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/223729-oklahoma.html saying we are in "meltdown mode" over how good they are.

-General score predictions have them winning by 17-21.

-90% of the predictions have them scoring at least 40.

-They are pissed about not getting Gameday for this one. Understandable.

-Respect for us and Neyland.

I picked up this quote

They won't be intimated by the atmosphere at Owen field considering their stadium holds 102 thousand plus but that's alright....OU wins big on Saturday...

followed by this quote

Traveling to see that stadium maybe worth the trip next season.

-I did come across a thread that is basically a "why Tennessee fans are idiots" thread just bashing every VN post of anyone saying we keep it close. Saw a lot of "yeah Alabama thought it would be close too" kind of talk.

-They referenced a post here that said it may be close because we had similar stats in our first 2 games, and our first 2 opponents were tougher than theirs. According to them that's dumb because they "let off the gas pedal" in their first two games. I guess they are assuming we never let off the gas pedal in our first two.

-I did see the "SEC cheats" card is being pulled.

The SEC will be very, very embarrassed after Saturday, not even the officials will be able to help them and that says a lot!!!

-Random but kind of funny, there is a Texas A&M fan arguing with them on their board regarding their current conference-trash-talk.

-I keep coming across several posts saying not to overlook us, hoping the team isn't doing the same. They are saying while we are young, we have some of the most talented youth in the country.

-Strange..... of all my surfing there hasn't been one mention of the OU/Texas game last year.......

-Overall OU fans seem pretty legit. There are some good UT posters posting on their boards, and occasionally an OU fan will jump in and start running his mouth, and the rest will jump him for it and apologize. There is some condescending Tennessee talk in some threads, but for the most part I found their fanbase to be classy, respectful, and welcoming. Example:
welcome Vol fans, I will remember the past days when your team was always a force each season. Been a Sooner since Bud's great teams. It is coming to you guys again, you have a great young coach. Good luck after this Saturday. Let us all pray there will be no serious injuries.
They are confident and they have good reason to be, should be a good experience for Vol fans going to Norman.

-Oh and apparently Lou Holtz is now a huge OU fan

Last edited:
Reactions: 54 people
Hard to disagree with any of it. Their advantages on the lines will be the difference.

Reactions: 5 people
Good stuff. Other than stoops running his mouth I have no problem with Oklahoma. Like one said, praying for a good game with no injuries. Thanks again for these threads.

Reactions: 17 people
I gave great respect for OU, Wilkinson,etc. I hope the OU fans sitting around me have the same respect for UT. I'm too old to go to jail.

Reactions: 23 people
If the roles were reversed this board would be cocky too. Rightfully so they are doing well. Hopefully team 118 gives them a good fight. I said it in another thread they are a good team. Maybe even great but we've played tougher teams. It'll be what it's gonna be.

Reactions: 3 people
Hard to disagree with any of it. Their advantages on the lines will be the difference.

Haha. I've been reading posts all day and it's hilarious how all of the sudden all our fans basically think we SUCK and are OK with it. You don't think we have any advantages? We have one of the best receiving corps in college football, a very good senior qb, and some very good veteran defensive players. If Ok had played our schedule last year they'd never be ranked no. 3! I say we win in a close one. 24-21

Reactions: 14 people
Haha. I've been reading posts all day and it's hilarious how all of the sudden all our fans basically think we SUCK and are OK with it. You don't think we have any advantages? We have one of the best receiving corps in college football, a very good senior qb, and some very good veteran defensive players. If Ok had played our schedule last year they'd never be ranked no. 3! I say we win in a close one. 24-21

Dude come on. We have improved a ton but freak we are playing 30 freshman, one of our top recievers just went down as did our best TE and our O line play is at minimum lackluster. Brace for impact and let the chips fall where they may.

Reactions: 6 people
If they can put pressure on worley with just 4 they will dominate.

I just don't know how our o line will stack up against them.

I think they win and it will be won in the trenches.

Reactions: 8 people
If they can put pressure on worley with just 4 they will dominate.

I just don't know how our o line will stack up against them.

I think they win and it will be won in the trenches.

I agree. I believe if we had 2-3 good juco olinemen we'd be all they could handle. As it stands IMO we are about 2 good linemen away.

I'll ad this irrational post for the overly optimistic and the rival fans looking for laughs. UT is about a decade removed from it's last true underdog win. They do go in cycles and Butch is a damn inspiring dude. AJ and Sutton alone will leave them wishing we never came to play.

Reactions: 5 people
I'll ad this irrational post for the overly optimistic and the rival fans looking for laughs. UT is about a decade removed from it's last true underdog win. They do go in cycles and Butch is a damn inspiring dude. AJ and Sutton alone will leave them wishing we never came to play.

A decade removed?

2013 South Carolina wishes to dispute this.

Reactions: 10 people
Jesus. It's just constantly. We are a very good team this year. Led by a very good qb and veteran scrappy defense. Why the hell is everyone so down on us? Just go away. We don't SUCK as much as you'd like to think

Simmah down nahw Chatt! I appreciate your optimism. But the realistic posters on this board aren't saying we suck. They're (myself included) just saying that we simply don't yet have the horses (on the lines especially) to compete with an elite team for 60 minutes.

Last season, they manhandled the same Bama team that destroyed us 45-10. And I don't care if Bama didn't bring their "A" game. The difference in talent level was night and day last year.

I do agree that we are on our way back to being able to compete with the big boys on a national stage, but we're just not there yet.

Not only that, but Butch is in his SECOND season (new system, philosophy, etc.), and Stoops has been at OU forever. They have consistency and continuity across their FB program, and they've been recruiting well for years.

I'm not a negavol, I'm a realivol. There's a difference.

Reactions: 7 people
We will compete if we give Worely time. I just hope we don't do any "3 straight runs for a yard and then punt"

We will compete if we give Worely time. I just hope we don't do any "3 straight runs for a yard and then punt"

I think we'll be trying to be more creative I just think what SBV and you mentioned first above are going to be the issue. Lord knows I hope I am wrong.

I remember "SEC Cheats" being brought up on an Oklahoma board in the lead up to Florida's national title game with the Sooners.

It was as if everyone decided to forget they employed a coach named Barry Switzer.

Reactions: 16 people

Agree 100%. Quick slants, fly sweeps, screens, WR screens, short dumps to the TEs..

Roll Worley out and give him plenty of options. If nothing's there, throw it to the sidelines and repeat.

Only way we win this game IMO.

I think the pass/run ratio should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 70/30. If we get a run for longer than 10 yds, I'll be shocked.

VN Store

Back