Thoughts on Butch Jones Show

Coug

I know there are probably not many people that really watch this but my honest opinion of it compared to the other TN coaches shows in the past is that it's mostly full of fluff and very little substance. Some years ago, I forget which coach because we've been through so many, but they'd have him comment on key plays for just about the whole game and I found that most interesting. You actually got to see what the coach thought of the plays and how he'd comment on what the players were doing that was right or wrong, or what needed improvement.

Just watched Butch Jones Show for the first time this season and that's my feelings on it. Thought I'd see what others had to say that have actually watched it.

Reactions: 6 people
I agree its mostly fluff. Fulmer had a better show. He went through a lot of the plays. I live in NC now and just found the show again on suddenlink.

Reactions: 2 people
That was back during the fulmer days. The show hasnt been the same since then. I loved it when they showed pretty much every play with coach explanation. I like some of the stuff they do now but overall its just a waste of an hour. Maybe if they didnt have 74 commercial breaks it would have been better.

Reactions: 8 people
Agreed Phillip broke it down. I like that plus he was always gonna work like heck to get that corrected.

Reactions: 5 people
He obviously gets well compensated for the show.....but maybe it's not his "cup of tea". He obviously has much more important things to worry about. Like finding a way to get Lane and Hurd some bigger holes to run through.

Reactions: 4 people
I agree. It was a HUGE disappointment. Must have been 2 minutes out of the hour for playback and no coach comments. Even last year was better. Who do we complain to?

Reactions: 3 people
Thoughts on the Butch Jones Show: Was wondering what Cable Channel/SEC channel, local station or whatnot that you viewed such. Couldn't find it here in Central Fl area on Brighthouse. Pls advise and thank you from Fl Vol by way of the Cumberland mtns.

Johnny Majors had, hands down, the best coaches show of all time. I swear when he watched the highlights, he got so excited it was like he was seeing it for the first time.

I know, I know, cue the "he was drunk on the sidelines" comments. ....

Reactions: 12 people
Thoughts on the Butch Jones Show: Was wondering what Cable Channel/SEC channel, local station or whatnot that you viewed such. Couldn't find it here in Central Fl area on Brighthouse. Pls advise and thank you from Fl Vol by way of the Cumberland mtns.

It was on at noon on Fox Sports South Dish channel 437. I believe it will run again sometime on Tuesday. Not sure if you get FSS in Florida.

"We'll know more when we go back and look at the film, then we're gonna work like heck to fix it."

Johnny Majors had, hands down, the best coaches show of all time. I swear when he watched the highlights, he got so excited it was like he was seeing it for the first time.

IIRC, he probably WAS seeing the film for the first time. They used to film the show at 1 or 2 in the morning for home games and 5-6AM for away games. Most of the "game film" in those days was exactly that: film, which had to be developed and then edited for highlights.

One of my favorite memories of the Johnny Majors Show was the morning after the Vols beat Bama in '82 breaking an 11-year drought. John was clearly in a "good mood" and toward the end of the show he grabbed one of the O/W shakers on the desk and started beating John Ward over the head with it.

Reactions: 8 people
That was back during the fulmer days. The show hasnt been the same since then. I loved it when they showed pretty much every play with coach explanation. I like some of the stuff they do now but overall its just a waste of an hour. Maybe if they didnt have 74 commercial breaks it would have been better.

I stopped listening to the pregame radio show because of the commercials. 7 minutes of commercials following by 2 minutes of Vol info followed by another 5 minutes of commercials

THIS!!! Majors way of handling the Sunday show was hands down the very best. Mostly play by play ..."cover him up in orange!!"

Reactions: 1 person
IIRC, he probably WAS seeing the film for the first time. They used to film the show at 1 or 2 in the morning for home games and 5-6AM for away games. Most of the "game film" in those days was exactly that: film, which had to be developed and then edited for highlights.

One of my favorite memories of the Johnny Majors Show was the morning after the Vols beat Bama in '82 breaking an 11-year drought. John was clearly in a "good mood" and toward the end of the show he grabbed one of the O/W shakers on the desk and started beating John Ward over the head with it.

Then somebody dumped confetti on Majors. That was a great show!

Caught the show on tv as well. It's all fluff. They spent 3 minutes showing the game highlights and that's it. I enjoyed it when Fulmer would break the plays down series by series and that was half the show. Now it isn't worth watching.

Show became tedious when the brought in more commentary, human "interest", assistant coaches, commercials, etc. I have not been able to sit through a show in years!

Reactions: 1 person
I agree that Majors was the best with the morning after show. I haven't seen a Butch Jones show yet, but even if Butch was killing it, Kessling would still ruin it.

VN Store

Back