Reality Check

17Vols

UNPAID CONTRIBUTER
1. Pearson and Wolfe injured, prognosis not yet known.
Reality Check: Receiver is our deepest and most talented position group. Downs, Helm and even Croom can easily cover the TE responsibilities.
2. O-line still in question, and already down a man(Gillium, sp?)
Reality Check: Coleman has looked good early in practice, even holding down the 1st team RT spot until Jashon moved over, but hasn't yet seen the field, he's only going to get better. Blair is still in the 2 deep and will push, maybe beat out Kendrick. Kendrick, BTW, didn't look too bad in his first start.
3. D-Line is dangerously thin.
Reality Check: Unless CBJ is wanting to redshirt them, there's still a few more linemen we haven't seen yet, Hendrix and Sawyers come to mind, that are developing. I expect Sawyers will get more and more reps as the season goes on. Hendrix will probable redshirt.
4. Running game looks stagnant.
Reality Check: Hurd got more carries and yards and is on the verge of a breakout. Lane is still a solid back and there's some new backs that can pitch in too. (Derrell Scott)
Throw is another solid recruiting class, packed with solid linemen, and the future looks bright.
Its gonna be fun watching CBJ build this program back up! It's a great time to be a VOL!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 people
Our "Reality Check" begins this Saturday night @ 8pm Central Time.

Good post though...valid points...and I look forward to watching a good game next Saturday. I'm banking on a bunch of young players executing with reckless abandon. Mostly because they are too young to remember the days when Oklahoma mattered.

Good post though...valid points...and I look forward to watching a good game next Saturday. I'm banking on a bunch of young players executing with reckless abandon. Mostly because they are too young to remember the days when Oklahoma mattered.

You'll have to dig further back into history to find where we mattered. I wouldn't think for a minute that our players are underestimating Oklahoma's ability.

Reality Check: Receiver is our deepest and most talented position group. Downs, Helm and even Croom can easily cover the TE responsibilities.
Reality Check: Coleman has looked good early in practice, even holding down the 1st team RT spot until Jashon moved over, but hasn't yet seen the field, he's only going to get better. Blair is still in the 2 deep and will push, maybe beat out Kendrick. Kendrick, BTW, didn't look too bad in his first start.
Reality Check: Unless CBJ is wanting to redshirt them, there's still a few more linemen we haven't seen yet, Hendrix and Sawyers come to mind, that are developing. I expect Sawyers will get more and more reps as the season goes on. Hendrix will probable redshirt.
Reality Check: Hurd got more carries and yards and is on the verge of a breakout. Lane is still a solid back and there's some new backs that can pitch in too. (Derrell Scott)
Throw is another solid recruiting class, packed with solid linemen, and the future looks bright.
Its gonna be fun watching CBJ build this program back up! It's a great time to be a VOL!!!

Hendricks played the whole second half yesterday!! Either quit drinking during games or quit posting until sober,jeeze! Red shirt,damn!!!

Croom is NOT a Tightend. If Wolf is out, we still have Helm, Downs and Ellis, not sure where Branisel stands with his knee. Hendrix has played, a lot, so he can't redshirt.

Otherwise, good post.

Yep and he has played in both games so far. As for DT, I was pleased to see Owen Williams step up his game yesterday. We need him to keep playing that way once we hit the SEC portion of the schedule.

Williams was all over the place yesterday. Team speed is a definite upgrade so far this season.

Reactions: 1 person
Croom is NOT a Tightend. If Wolf is out, we still have Helm, Downs and Ellis, not sure where Branisel stands with his knee. Hendrix has played, a lot, so he can't redshirt.

Otherwise, good post.

Yep. I'm sure Creamer will red shirt but I would love to see him line up at TE. He will be a play maker!

A lot of great flashes these past two weeks from some soon-to-be all SEC players indeed. We will see Saturday what kind of job Butch has done with these kids from a mental coaching standpoint. How these younger guys handle this type of adversity and beating will tell us truly what direction we are headed in and give us a better understanding of what kind of job Butch is doing as a coach. Its easy to coach young guys when the odds are with you, but when they are stacked against you, that is another story as we all know. Make no mistake that Stoops is planning on making an example out of us to the country on how they stack up against the SEC. He will have his foot on the gas until the whistle blows and will try to embarrass us any way he can. Our friend will be the clock and we will need to figure out how to put long offensive drives together(not bombs and go 3-out) and use the slants and quick 6-7 yard throws to sustain drives and move the chains. The O line better take their saline IV's and B-12's and go till they puke.

A lot of great flashes these past two weeks from some soon-to-be all SEC players indeed. We will see Saturday what kind of job Butch has done with these kids from a mental coaching standpoint. How these younger guys handle this type of adversity and beating will tell us truly what direction we are headed in and give us a better understanding of what kind of job Butch is doing as a coach. Its easy to coach young guys when the odds are with you, but when they are stacked against you, that is another story as we all know. Make no mistake that Stoops is planning on making an example out of us to the country on how they stack up against the SEC. He will have his foot on the gas until the whistle blows and will try to embarrass us any way he can. Our friend will be the clock and we will need to figure out how to put long offensive drives together(not bombs and go 3-out) and use the slants and quick 6-7 yard throws to sustain drives and move the chains. The O line better take their saline IV's and B-12's and go till they puke.

Stoops has been taking pop shots at the SEC since last season and he would love to embarrass the conference again(sugar bowl) . SEC teams need to turn it up a notch when playing OOC .

I do NOT want to write him off or even criticize the young man, but NOT understanding the EXTREME hype about Hurd? Good kid, great athlete but just don’t see the hype! Not built like any excellent running back ESPECIALLY in the SEC (in fact I’m afraid he’s gonna break sometime during the tough season). Look at Fournette, look at ‘Bama’s runnin backs, in fact look at nearly ALL the SEC’s backs (Gurley) and tell me this guy is gonna excel in the SEC? Huge VFL, and hope I’m wrong but so far Lane has shown me more! In fact were I him (Lane) I would be VERY disappointed in seeing Hurd getting more reps!

Reality Check: Hurd got more carries and yards and is on the verge of a breakout. Lane is still a solid back and there's some new backs that can pitch in too. (Derrell Scott)Throw is another solid recruiting class, packed with solid linemen, and the future looks bright.

Thought he was injured and out for the season!

I do NOT want to write him off or even criticize the young man, but NOT understanding the EXTREME hype about Hurd? Good kid, great athlete but just don’t see the hype! Not built like any excellent running back ESPECIALLY in the SEC (in fact I’m afraid he’s gonna break sometime during the tough season). Look at Fournette, look at ‘Bama’s runnin backs, in fact look at nearly ALL the SEC’s backs (Gurley) and tell me this guy is gonna excel in the SEC? Huge VFL, and hope I’m wrong but so far Lane has shown me more! In fact were I him (Lane) I would be VERY disappointed in seeing Hurd getting more reps!

Hurd will be a very good player....just maybe he doesn't live up to ALL his hype.
You don't see the hype because he is running behind an o-line that are boys playing against men. LSU, UGA, Bama......all with very good lines. There are several very good NFL backs that have a similar body style to Hurd that would love to come say hi to you right now.

REALITY CHECK

Kendrick is better then Blair otherwise Blair would be starting.

post less often... Bama's running backs are 6'1 and 6'4...Jalen is 6'3... how are bama's RB's going to excel...oh,I know,that very good OL they have...where do some of you people come from?

Uh, last year and most every year since Stoops has been there? Since 1999, OU has only finished outside the top #25 in 1999 and 2005. They have been inside the top ten 9 times in the Stoop's era.

VN Store

Back