Week 1 is over. Any still-way-too-early predictions based on what we've seen?

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
Obviously it's still too early to tell, and our win over USU will become more impressive or less impressive as their season goes on, but here are my thoughts on our upcoming season based on the first week of football.

-Georgia will probably annihilate us. Don't get me wrong, we are very solid at LB and I was impressed with our D-line, but that is the best run game in the country and it's not close.

-The Bama game will be closer than usual. They'll win, but it will be because of their lines. I don't see us getting eaten alive by their passing game like we did under AJ McCaron.

-Mizzou is not impressive. I said UT wins this one in Neyland and nothing they did Saturday changes that.

-Kentucky looked much improved but lets not go giving them too much props yet. Remember Dobbs picked them apart last year. Dobbs. They have a long way to go before they can compete. Still a W for UT.

-Ole Miss is very up and down, which we already knew, but they were 2 completely different teams in that Boise game. It certainly seems that Bo Wallace is already streaky enough as it is, if we can get him off his game, this one could very much go either way. I've been chalking it up as a loss but I'm not so sure anymore.

-Impossible to say with Oklahoma. LA Tech was really bad last year, and Trevor Knight had a less impressive game than Worley (253 for 1 TD). If this one was in Neyland..... could be interesting..... but it's not so whatever.

-I've been saying for months now there is no reason to be intimidated by S. Carolina and I'm sticking to that. Much like Mizzou, everything that made them good last year is gone. Shaw was BY FAR the most underrated player in the SEC. They may be good, but they'll have to prove it. As of right now I'm saying we still lose to them, but it's very very close.

-We should start the Scout Team against Vandy. But I don't know how you tell a Scout Team not to run the score up on someone.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people
I think we have enough info to make this prediction:
We will show up, on time, for every single game and play hard.

Reactions: 3 people
OL, that is a big concern now.

Jury still out on DL but have some hope there.

I think we have enough info to make this prediction:
We will show up, on time, for every single game and play hard.

I like this post.

mcompton is trying to make a statement that we know too little based on one game to make meaningful predictions.

Yet, he then goes on to predict that we will play hard every game - something we haven't seen in half a decade (or more).

Obviously it's still too early to tell, and our win over USU will become more impressive or less impressive as their season goes on, but here are my thoughts on our upcoming season based on the first week of football.

-Georgia will probably annihilate us. Don't get me wrong, we are very solid at LB and I was impressed with our D-line, but that is the best run game in the country and it's not close.

-The Bama game will be closer than usual. They'll win, but it will be because of their lines. I don't see us getting eaten alive by their passing game like we did under AJ McCaron.

-Mizzou is not impressive. I said UT wins this one in Neyland and nothing they did Saturday changes that.

-Kentucky looked much improved but lets not go giving them too much props yet. Remember Dobbs picked them apart last year. Dobbs. They have a long way to go before they can compete. Still a W for UT.

-Ole Miss is very up and down, which we already knew, but they were 2 completely different teams in that Boise game. It certainly seems that Bo Wallace is already streaky enough as it is, if we can get him off his game, this one could very much go either way. I've been chalking it up as a loss but I'm not so sure anymore.

-Impossible to say with Oklahoma. LA Tech was really bad last year, and Trevor Knight had a less impressive game than Worley (253 for 1 TD). If this one was in Neyland..... could be interesting..... but it's not so whatever.

-I've been saying for months now there is no reason to be intimidated by S. Carolina and I'm sticking to that. Much like Mizzou, everything that made them good last year is gone. Shaw was BY FAR the most underrated player in the SEC. They may be good, but they'll have to prove it. As of right now I'm saying we still lose to them, but it's very very close.

-We should start the Scout Team against Vandy. But I don't know how you tell a Scout Team not to run the score up on someone.

We, like every other team on their schedule, will load the box and make Mason beat us.

As of now, that looks like a pretty good strategy because he was less than impressive against Clemson.

If we can stay healthy, I think 6 wins is very, very doable and I agree with your logic on how we get those wins.

I'm really worried about our O-Line depth. If we were to lose another body or two there, we could be in deep ****.

WAAAAAAAAAY too early to announce UGA as the best run game in the country and they will annihilate us... I don't think the UGA secondary is all that great...Clemson lost Boyd and Watkins,so I dont think they were in a position to challenge them...USC I thought was over rated from the start just from the talent they lost,and the pass rushers they lost really exposed the USC secondary and LB coverage ...

Reactions: 1 person
It's early but I definitely bumped my expectations from 6 wins to 7. Assuming we stay healthy that seems like a reasonable goal to me. Also if we had a couple talented o linemen this would be a damn well rounded team. It's getting close now. GBO.

WAAAAAAAAAY too early to announce UGA as the best run game in the country and they will annihilate us... I don't think the UGA secondary is all that great...Clemson lost Boyd and Watkins,so I dont think they were in a position to challenge them...USC I thought was over rated from the start just from the talent they lost,and the pass rushers they lost really exposed the USC secondary and LB coverage ...

We will be running our 4-3 against GA...Gurley is a stud. We may to put 9 in the box

I still think we'll get a W against USU, Ark St, Chattanooga, UK and Vandy and pick up 1-2 more against UF, Ole Miss, Mizzou and SCAR. I feel better about picking up 2 to go 7-5. That, plus a bowl win for 8-5, has always been my hope for CBJ's second season.

If Worley kills it and the freshmen jump the learning curve, 8-4 isn't out of the question. Tough to call when we haven't seen UF or Driskel play.

We played impressive on Saturday, but that was against Utah State. I think when we go to Normal we'll have a better idea of what to expect.

I still think we'll get a W against USU, Ark St, Chattanooga, UK and Vandy and pick up 1-2 more against UF, Ole Miss, Mizzou and SCAR. I feel better about picking up 2 to go 7-5. That, plus a bowl win for 8-5, has always been my hope for CBJ's second season.

If Worley kills it and the freshmen jump the learning curve, 8-4 isn't out of the question. Tough to call when we haven't seen UF or Driskel play.

I think we'll beat USU too

I'll say this....the not so obvious, yet obvious thing, that I believe a lot of people lost sight of is that Auburn is the defending SEC champion.

It wasn't all luck

15-0 with losses to Alabama, Oklahoma, Georgia, Florida, and Ole Miss.

To me, Ole Miss and Mizzou are the two key games. I think we are close to their calibre right now, but not up to UGA or Bama, etc. When you start looking at the schedule, those two games are the pick'ems. Wins/Losses in those two could be the difference between a solid bowl team and a 5-6 win team.

To me, Ole Miss and Mizzou are the two key games. I think we are close to their calibre right now, but not up to UGA or Bama, etc. When you start looking at the schedule, those two games are the pick'ems. Wins/Losses in those two could be the difference between a solid bowl team and a 5-6 win team.

I would add SCar as a pick'em at this point.

But wait! Arky St. could really be a trap game. They're really good, didn't you hear?

Arky St is the next game and I believe the most important right now. After that game I believe we can talk with more live-game knowledge than we actually have right now. :whistling:
It's always good to dream. :clap:
GO VOLS!

VN Store

Back