Worley had a terrible QBR.

ClearwaterVol

Interestingly Worley had a 64.9 QBR while Pig had an 87.3. It goes to show why that stat is bullcrap.

BTW, Worley had a passing rating of 157.50.

64.9 isn't terrible, it would have been good for 9th in the NFL last year.

EDIT: Would have been tied for 52nd in FBS last season. Also I agree that it's a silly stat.

Reactions: 1 person
Interestingly Worley had a 64.9 QBR while Pig had an 87.3. It goes to show why that stat is bullcrap.

Wow, seriously? I always thought is was a decent stat (at least for the NFL), because Peyton Manning consistently has the highest QBR in the league.

Go Vols!

For the QBR, 50 is average, so 64.9 is not bad. Obviously, completing 70% of your passes and 3 tds is much better than that rating suggests so your point is well taken.

Wow, seriously? I always thought is was a decent stat (at least for the NFL), because Peyton Manning consistently has the highest QBR in the league.

Go Vols!

It is a crap stat until you have a decent sample size. What that is I don't know, but I would guess 5-6 games / 200 - 250 pass attempts

Not much QBR gained by throwing 10 WR screens on 1st down. I've never been a fan of the stat. It tries way too hard to mathematically express something that can't be quantified.

Reactions: 2 people
Worley led his team to beat the crap out of a team that many "experts" thought would give UT fits or even win outright. For much of the offseason his ability has been questioned by professional and (ahem) amateur "experts".

I expect them to do more downfield against different D's. USU's design is to deny the run and "home run". They gave the short stuff and UT took advantage very efficiently.

Maybe an exaggeration, but Pig at 0-1 being higher highlights some of the problems with this particular stat.

His single pass brought his other stats into play. Pretty ridiculous but it is what that formula spits out when misapplied.

Interestingly, if I understand right, a QB that plays behind the sticks but converts some long ones will have a higher rating than one that manages down and distance more effectively.

There are no truly accurate measures of what they're trying to capture.

Worley did exactly what he has to do for this team to win. He's not gonna be perfect or make many plays himself. He was decisive and distributed the ball to a large number of guys.

Even though his line had some trouble at times, he never looked rattled and made no costly errors. Thought he did exactly what he should do and I expect him to only get better.

Reactions: 7 people
QBR takes into account a lot of unique data. Performance under pressure and critical situations are included.

It also takes into account the benefit provided by the QB over the WR. So when you throw a screen to Hurd and he uses a bunch of shifty moves to get to the endzone on a 15 yard run that came off a 4 yard pass, it doesn't value that very highly for a QB.

but still, 64.9 is a pretty good score. He maintains that score all year and we are a 8+ win football team.

Worley led his team to beat the crap out of a team that many "experts" thought would give UT fits or even win outright. For much of the offseason his ability has been questioned by professional and (ahem) amateur "experts".

I expect them to do more downfield against different D's. USU's design is to deny the run and "home run". They gave the short stuff and UT took advantage very efficiently.

Worley will have to be WAY more accurate with his downfield throws for them to do more downfield. He wasn't close on any of the long balls. Also, the receivers didn't get as much separation on the deep patterns as you'd expect from this group. I'll be surprised if we don't see 200+ yards running instead, just to give the line a chance to knock some folks around. They need a confidence builder after that last performance.

QBR is a d.a. made up stat. Worley did what he was supposed to do. He dinked and dunked a bad secondary and had no turnovers. That is what he needs to do all year and we will be ok.

Worley will have to be WAY more accurate with his downfield throws for them to do more downfield. He wasn't close on any of the long balls. Also, the receivers didn't get as much separation on the deep patterns as you'd expect from this group. I'll be surprised if we don't see 200+ yards running instead, just to give the line a chance to knock some folks around. They need a confidence builder after that last performance.

He missed big on a couple of long throws, but only narrowly missed on a couple of others. There is one specifically that I remember where Von beat his man and wasn't sprinting full speed until he saw the deep ball coming his way. He then sped up but was too late. He missed by a foot. That isn't on the qb, that's on the WR.

Reactions: 4 people

I don't care as much about deep downfield throwing. It's whatever, you can't predicate an offense or player on that.

What I do care about is intermidiate passes and middle of the field passes. We did very little of that against a weak secondary and it frustrated me at first. But then I realized that Jake has likely tailored this passing offense around the limitations of his QB.

We have lowered our ceiling, but effectively raised our floor with a passing attack like this. Basically, we should see similar results against all teams that aren't able to match up with our perimeter athletes at WR.

You won't see Worley throwing stupid bounce passes as often and getting picked off on 15 yard outs and crossing routes because he likely just won't be throwing them anymore. Which is good news. He can just manage this offense like he did on Sunday and that will be fine by me.

This reminded me of how terrible Pig Howard's throw was. That WR reverse pass was a perfect play call and Devrin Young was 10 yards behind the nearest defender!

The slow blade penetrates the shield.

VN Store

Back