Not to be the Fly in the Ointment

ALLVOL 4LIFE

Long Time Listener 1st Time Caller
First and foremost, overall we looked good as a team and the win was awesome as well as the crowd. Bottom line is we should have embarrassed them last night and run them out of our house. We put up a quick 14 points and laid an egg offensively from that point. Play calling went from decent to not good at all. The door should have been slammed on this team at the half and should have got the 2's and 3's some valuable live snaps with the continuation of the original game plan with those guys. Plus I would not have been near as nervous about our studs getting hurt. I truly believe, if we stay healthy and not lose our#1 guys, we can be right there with EVERY team on our schedule, primed to win. That being said, the play calling can't be 3 straight read options and punt or 2 swing passed and an incompletion and punt. Most important, it is a must to pick up every -and 1 yard to go at all cost, to be an efficient football team. Twice last night, we failed at it miserably against a lesser opponent. That can't happen and our play calling MUST be very good for us to successful this year with this team.

Truly, I'm not being negative, just thinking out loud. Either way, I'm behind Butch and company, was just a little concerned with the play calling last night. Your thoughts?

Reactions: 5 people
Every guy thinks he knows how to grill a steak, hit a golf ball and be an OC.

Reactions: 68 people
I still don't think we've opened up the playbook very much. I don't expect us to on Saturday, either. We'll show as little as possible to get the W and throw the playbook at OU.

Reactions: 12 people
Maybe we are not ready or the hurry up offense. I know there is an advantage to catch defense out of position, BUT need to slow down to make proper calls.

I still don't think we've opened up the playbook very much. I don't expect us to on Saturday, either. We'll show as little as possible to get the W and throw the playbook at OU.

No kidding. Why in the world would we open up the playbook when we were thoroughly dominating them on the defensive side, and had a comfortable lead built up offensively? If you have the game in the bag, save your good stuff for when it matters!

Reactions: 3 people
Pretty much covers the Glass Half Empty viewpoint. Hopefully, the rest of the Negas will congregate in this thread till after the ASU game, in order to start another thread filled with lowlights.

Thanks so much. Over and Out.

Reactions: 1 person
It would have been nice if we took a shot down the field with some crazy WR reverse throwback to the RB who was running down the sideline seem after play action.

Oh wait, we did that.

Reactions: 7 people
Why would you go "at all cost" in the first game, against an OOC opponent, that demonstrated pretty early they weren't capable of winning the game? I don't get it.

Reactions: 3 people
That's the thing about CBJ, he doesn't want you to know what's in store. Pig was the top targeted receiver during this game. It was like every play went to Number 2. I think that's great. Don't give teams more film than you have to. Pig was our returning leader in passes. First game out of the gate they should throw to him and throw a lot. Spread it around to give the guys some touches and keep the defense honest, but let's not showcase all our weapons in the first skirmish.

Same with the run. Hit the middle every time. Don't bounce outside on USU. Hit the middle and learn what it feels like so they will know when it comes to conference play.

Don't forget that this was a large portion of our team's first game at the college level. Work on what's been established and then install as the season progresses.

I for one am quite happy by the overall play of Team 118. There were lots of points left on the field lastnight, but be assured they will be picked back up as the season progresses.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
It was an expected win. The betting line and upset potential talk was overblown, imo. We have a long season ahead but it was nice to see us play to potential (for the 1st game) and impressively take care of a team as we should be expected to.

Vol fans just can't be happy. I believe if we the NCAA championship, that someone would post a thread stating how depleted we were going to be the next year.

Reactions: 2 people
As usual, it's always being negative. The main point being made on this thread was that none of goo players got hurt and our other kids get some PT.

VN Store

Back